Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Beautiful day today.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

I have never been one to worry about the miles I put on my cars. The more I can drive them, the better I can justify owning them. When I have a car that sits, I find that I then sell. I actually feel guilty to own a car that is not being driven.
You will never regret any road trip you do, you will only regret the ones that you didnt do !!
I guess it is different for everyone, but I always say Drive them, that is what Porsche desgined them for. I salute the guys who own 100K mile plus cars and still drive them regularly !!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I am subscribed and look forward to the journey. I am in the exact same boat as you. I hang out with several that go to a C&C and if we do a local drive more than 40 miles they won’t go. I boggles my mind how someone buys such a drivers car yet they treat them like art. If you wanted art, buy art and hang it on the wall. It takes up less space.

I just got into a GT3. Bought it in late Nov with 1,900 miles and just hit 4,500 and that is not from DDing. My old Turbo had 20k in about 1.5 yrs.

each year we do a Spring Break trip with another couple. Last year was 2,500 miles and made it over to your state, stop in Durango. This year in a few weeks it is going to be 2,900 up CA into Oregon and Washington and back.

Nothing more gives my wife wife and I pure enjoyment seeing the US in our Porsche. Good luck to you and look forward to the journey.

BTW thank you as it was your work that got us into a GT3 with confidence.
You are welcome! And it sounds like some great drives. I will eventually do a west coast trip. Check out the million dollar highway and Telluride the next time you are in Colorado. Some good roads!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

You are welcome! And it sounds like some great drives. I will eventually do a west coast trip. Check out the million dollar highway and Telluride the next time you are in Colorado. Some good roads!

We we did that, it was awesome. We did CA through Zion over to Monument Valley to Durango. Up the million dollar highway, Ouray and by Telluride over to Moab all on amazing back roads. Then we did Moab over to Brian Head into Death Valley over to Sequoia and back home. The 550 was by far one of the best stretches although we had a bunch in CO and UT.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 397 Posts

I am sure you recognize this place. Let me know when you come west. I will get you some awesome routes and roads.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Back in 2015 we had member BobbyC post and document his epic road trip where he drove his 2007 997 GT3RS 9,000 miles in 15 days.

His journal was posted here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...road-trip.html

He posted some video’s of his journey here:
https://vimeo.com/user43613883

Anything can be accomplished with the right mindset!

Porsche’s were meant to be driven!

Good luck with your journey and Please post and document the journey.

Last edited by fskof; 02-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Rob,
I couldn't agree more with you. Drive it like it is intended. And if you make it to the right coast let us know and we'll show you a couple of tracks to enjoy the car as it was built to thrive on. I'm doing the same with my GT3 and all of my other Porsches despite the "warnings" of the local experts. Carpe Diem!
Holder
Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,770 Likes on 2,718 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Beautiful day today.
Nice going, Rob! Yes, it was beautiful today (got to 70F in town) - going to be 6F and snowy tomorrow though. Glad we both did some driving today
Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Rob - your passion for the GT3 is contagious and a great part of this community!! Hope to be in similar shoes when my .2 arrives, plan on just driving the wheels off the car with a huge smile on my face God willing making awesome memories. Definitely did not spend this kind of money for an investment or garage queen but for my own driving enjoyment. This one might be my last (ICE) Porsche, next might go for Mission E to accompany the GT3. Don't plan on chasing 992+ GT3..
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I am curious to see if the new vehicle technology will actually make the distance. It is not uncommon for 160k miles without issue. But, and a big but, when something goes wrong with the motor or transmission, you are talking thousands of dollars to repair.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 517 Posts

Rob, Had I kept my 15 I'd be right there with you. However bailed and went with a 180 mi. CPO GT4 which is now at 16k. I plan to do the same as you. Drive it and enjoy it. Added a set of Dundons to the GT4. The Dundons sound fantastic on the GT3.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:12 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree Rob, driving IS a hobby. When I am driving on an open road with no other traffic, it is therapeutic. I really hope the younger guys enjoy driving as much as I do. All this talk about self driving cars etc in the future bums me out...
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by fskof
Back in 2015 we had member BobbyC post and document his epic road trip where he drove his 2007 997 GT3RS 9,000 miles in 15 days.

His journal was posted here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...road-trip.html

He posted some video’s of his journey here:
https://vimeo.com/user43613883

Anything can be accomplished with the right mindset!

Porsche’s were meant to be driven!

Good luck with your journey and Please post and document the journey.
Just watched one of his videos. That’s what i am talking about! Thanks for sharing it.

Originally Posted by 69911s
Rob,
I couldn't agree more with you. Drive it like it is intended. And if you make it to the right coast let us know and we'll show you a couple of tracks to enjoy the car as it was built to thrive on. I'm doing the same with my GT3 and all of my other Porsches despite the "warnings" of the local experts. Carpe Diem!
Holder
Thanks! If i get out that far i will let you know.

Originally Posted by GrantG
Nice going, Rob! Yes, it was beautiful today (got to 70F in town) - going to be 6F and snowy tomorrow though. Glad we both did some driving today
Thanks Grant. It was an awesome day. Saw 70F in the GT3 passing through Boulder. Drove out to Estes and stopped at the Stanley Hotel. That is why Colorado works. We getgood weather in between crap, making it livable. How’s the GT3 running?

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Rob - your passion for the GT3 is contagious and a great part of this community!! Hope to be in similar shoes when my .2 arrives, plan on just driving the wheels off the car with a huge smile on my face God willing making awesome memories. Definitely did not spend this kind of money for an investment or garage queen but for my own driving enjoyment. This one might be my last (ICE) Porsche, next might go for Mission E to accompany the GT3. Don't plan on chasing 992+ GT3..
Thanks! Porsche did all the heavy lifting. I just get to enjoy the smiles. Rack up those miles when she arrives!

Originally Posted by H82BL8
I am curious to see if the new vehicle technology will actually make the distance. It is not uncommon for 160k miles without issue. But, and a big but, when something goes wrong with the motor or transmission, you are talking thousands of dollars to repair.
I have no worries on the engine until late 2024, so we’ll see how close i get to 120k miles. It might take a motor or two! I am curious to see how the car holds up as well. We’ll see!

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Rob, Had I kept my 15 I'd be right there with you. However bailed and went with a 180 mi. CPO GT4 which is now at 16k. I plan to do the same as you. Drive it and enjoy it. Added a set of Dundons to the GT4. The Dundons sound fantastic on the GT3.
That is awesome, Alan. I love the GT4. What a car. Super impressed. Dundon headers just makes it that much better. Eventually!

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
I agree Rob, driving IS a hobby. When I am driving on an open road with no other traffic, it is therapeutic. I really hope the younger guys enjoy driving as much as I do. All this talk about self driving cars etc in the future bums me out...
Yep. Today just cruising with the windows down, the engine revving, banging through the gears, enjoying endless twisties, elevation changes, loads of sunshine and my wife smiling beside me. Everything else just falls away. Total escape. This is why we own these amazing cars.

I see the love for these cars on kids faces every time i drive this car. The passion is definitely there.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Today was a real beauty, so we decided to get breakfast at the Country Road Cafe in Kittridge, then drove through Morrison towards Golden. We took the Golden Gate Canyon Rd. towards Boulder, before heading to Estes Park. Stopped at the Stanley Hotel (made famous by the movie The Shining), and had drinks. Total trip was about 200 miles. Here are some pics...

Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 AM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 47 Posts

Awesome post Rob, I hope I'm still around on RL to see you hit your mark at 100k. Good luck with this task and I hope you and your wife enjoy every mile.

Quick Reply: Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles