Sponsored by:

Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
If it's OrthoJoe approved then I know I'll love it as well. If the GT3 was PDK only then I was have passed on it, one of the main reasons why I bought it was because of the manual transmission. Can't wait till late Feb to get mine.
BW trip next year! I just hope I don't go off!!! Lol
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,529 Likes on 2,577 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Hahaha, funny stuff. I always said that once the honeymoon period passed, people would be bored with the PDK. Truth is that you'll always prefer what you don't have. Something about grass always being greener because it's fertilized with bull$hit. Anyways, if you want to have fun on the street, you're buying the wrong car. Get the Boxster Spyder and never look back.
I think that tells us the value of variety. PDK and manual can both be enjoyed on both road and track, and both can also sometimes feel like the lesser choice in each setting. No car is so 'complete' that it causes us to permanently lose desire for all other cars, but a car is very good if it causes us to lose that desire for at least a little while, because we love it in the moment.

(The above is a rationalization for why I'm willing to buy cars, but have a hard time selling them.)

Last edited by Manifold; 12-27-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:36 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 342 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Guys,

My buddy took delivery of his .2 recently and he brought it over for me to show him the ropes on the centerlocks/pad changes and to install the Laguna GPS device.
Before we got started, though, I got a chance to take out of for a spin.

HOLY. CRAP.

Porsche has done it again. They've somehow made seemly small changes and ended up turning everything up an entire notch.
I was skeptical that the .2 would be much different than the .1, but it IS.

The engine is another step up for sure. It's not some subtle thing you can only appreciate on paper. You feel it. You hear it. You love it. Nothing beats the sound of this engine.

One of the reasons I opted for a manual on my .2 was because I felt that if I didn't, the car would be much different than the .1 and I wanted to see what all of the 911R hubbub was about. After driving the car, oh boy AM I GLAD I opted for the manual.

I'm going to have to eat some crow here. I bought into the whole "the engine is better suited for PDK" thing when the .1 was announced. While the PDK-S transmission is fantastic, having a manual tranny with the GT3 engine is a TOTALLY new experience and I LOVE IT. PDK works perfectly, fires off perfect shifts, and opens up some bandwith when you are on the track. However, I have always thought that the .1 was boring on the street because it was too fast and the PDK took away from the fun. The .2 GT3 was a BLAST driving around the streets/highway. Using that shifter and hearing the noises that go along with it was just killer. Seeing that tach run all of the way to redline and then throwing the shifter into the next gear gets that adrenaline flowing big time. I wish I had video running while I was test driving the car and you guys would see the enormous grin and all of the gleeful comments flying out of my mouth.

Here are some pics of the miami blue car. It looks decent in the pics, but I'm honestly not a fan.
If you want the best description of what it looks like in real life, think of Dr. Seuss blue:

First, really have to agree that Miami Blue could be renamed Dr. Seuss blue -- it catches the color perfectly. Not a fan either.

Secondly, given the car is new, I'm curious how many miles the owner put on the clock before the motor was redlined.

Finally, happy to report my own GT3 991.2 was accepted and of course I'm going MT - there was never any doubt!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Hahaha, funny stuff. I always said that once the honeymoon period passed, people would be bored with the PDK. Truth is that you'll always prefer what you don't have. Something about grass always being greener because it's fertilized with bull$hit. Anyways, if you want to have fun on the street, you're buying the wrong car. Get the Boxster Spyder and never look back.
Lots of truth in this post
I really hope that the Spyder wasn't the end-all of engagement because I sold mine to fit the manual gt3 in my garage. I honestly can't imagine a more fun sub-500hp car than the spyder, hopefully the gt3.2 Manual's amazing engine and 911 handling traits compensates.

it's not always greener on the other side... (I always knew that pdk and outright speed at the expense of man-machine engagement weren't for me)
Old 12-27-2017, 01:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WernerE
Secondly, given the car is new, I'm curious how many miles the owner put on the clock before the motor was redlined.
Enough break in miles where both the owner and I had no issues with doing so and it was redlined long before I did, LoL. ;-)
I would never drive someone else's car in a way that they wouldn't want me to and I wouldn't do with my own car. The owner was in the car with me egging me on. The car is going to the track this weekend and will be driven at full tilt where I was invited to do the same.

Personally, I keep the car just below redline and not at full throttle when near redline for 2 full tanks of gas before I let it rip full tilt on my own cars. I doubt that really does anything, but it does it for me mentally, which is what break in is all about: mental comfort. Some people will chime in with no data to back it up whatsoever that I'm damaging the car that way. Guess what? 90 track days on the .1 GT3 with 700 orthojoe type break in miles . I tried my best to destroy that engine because I wanted a new one before I sold it, but it just would not die and ran like a champ. Then on the flip side you get people who babied the car it's entire life and the engine blew. My point is there is no correlation with engine brake in method and engine life/Performance, and nobody has any proof of it either way.

Then you have to wonder about the guys who say they follow 2000 mile break in, but rave about the car and then sell it before the 2000 Miles? Wut? Rave about a car you never even opened up?

I probably opened up a can of worms here. Lol
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,830 Likes on 2,390 Posts

If it's OrthoJoe approved then I know
I'll love it as well. If the GT3 was PDK only then I was have passed on it, one of the main reasons why I bought it was because of the manual transmission. Can't wait till late Feb to get mine.
me2
i love manual and I also
love pdk. blond brunette red heads i
am very I discriminate

Enough break in miles where both the owner and I had no issues with doing so and it was redlined long before I did, LoL. ;-)
I would never drive someone else's car in a way that they wouldn't want me to and I wouldn't do with my own car. The owner was in the car with me egging me on. The car is going to the track this weekend and will be driven at full tilt where I was invited to do the same.

Personally, I keep the car just below redline and not at full throttle when near redline for 2 full tanks of gas before I let it rip full tilt on my own cars. I doubt that really does anything, but it does it for me mentally, which is what break in is all about: mental comfort. Some people will chime in with no data to back it up whatsoever that I'm damaging the car that way. Guess what? 90 track days on the .1 GT3 with 700 orthojoe type break in miles . I tried my best to destroy that engine because I wanted a new one before I sold it, but it just would not die and ran like a champ. Then on the flip side you get people who babied the car it's entire life and the engine blew. My point is there is no correlation with engine brake in method and engine life/Performance, and nobody has any proof of it either way.

Then you have to wonder about the guys who say they follow 2000 mile break in, but rave about the car and then sell it before the 2000 Miles? Wut? Rave about a car you never even opened up?

I probably opened up a can of worms here. Lol
it’s not that i
have things against break in just I have zero patience. haven’t had issues with any of my p car engines. gearbox. Yes.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I really hope that the Spyder wasn't the end-all of engagement because I sold mine to fit the manual gt3 in my garage. I honestly can't imagine a more fun sub-500hp car than the spyder, hopefully the gt3.2 Manual's amazing engine and 911 handling traits compensates.

it's not always greener on the other side... (I always knew that pdk and outright speed at the expense of man-machine engagement weren't for me)
You'll miss the open top experience on a nice day. I don't miss my .1gt3. I'm not gonna miss my gt4, but I still miss my 987 spyder. You can't beat the spyder when it comes street driving on a nice day. My problem is I'm not a fan of canyon/mountain runs so I rarely got a chance to enjoy the spyder for what it was meant for.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

I hope the manual slows you down enough so I can keep up at the track.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I hope the manual slows you down enough so I can keep up at the track.
LOL, I'll need that PDK at an unfamiliar track if I get a chance to head up to Oregon next year!
Old 12-27-2017, 02:05 AM
Impi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the topic of running in the engine........ Porsche South Africa organised a track day for all clients who ordered a .2 GT3 and flew in Porsche driving instructors to drive laps around the track. Three cars, all PDK, redlined every gear for two laps plus one cool down. Milleage.......50kms.

Saw it for sale with 400kms by Porsche SA with full warranty and maintenance plan.

Will I buy it? No. But it illustrates what in particular Porsche SA thinks about running these engines.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:07 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

You'll miss the open top experience on a nice day. I don't miss my .1gt3. I'm not gonna miss my gt4, but I still miss my 987 spyder. You can't beat the spyder when it comes street driving on a nice day. My problem is I'm not a fan of canyon/mountain runs so I rarely got a chance to enjoy the spyder for what it was meant for.
i dont miss my .1GT3
i never owned any GT4
Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 548 Posts

If it's OrthoJoe approved then I know I'll love it as well. If the GT3 was PDK only then I was have passed on it, one of the main reasons why I bought it was because of the manual transmission. Can't wait till late Feb to get mine.
Color? Purple to replace the old 997?
Old 12-27-2017, 02:58 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Color? Purple to replace the old 997?
Golf Blue because it matches my eyes.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ LMAO. i thought you had devil red eyes?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Impi
On the topic of running in the engine........ Porsche South Africa organised a track day for all clients who ordered a .2 GT3 and flew in Porsche driving instructors to drive laps around the track. Three cars, all PDK, redlined every gear for two laps plus one cool down. Milleage.......50kms.

Saw it for sale with 400kms by Porsche SA with full warranty and maintenance plan.

Will I buy it? No. But it illustrates what in particular Porsche SA thinks about running these engines.
While I agree, I wouldn't buy them, only because of the 'track abuse/test car/rental car' treatment. I completely agree... and am with Orthojoe here... break them in like you're going to drive them. If someone can really go 2,000 miles and not go over 4,000 RPM's... I'd think the car would be in shock the first time you did following 2000 miles of putting around.

But also, agree... there is no proven 'best method'... whatever makes you feel best. My feeling is... just don't 'bang on the rev limiiter'... and dont 'shock the suspension/trans' with hard shifts etc... other than that... run it through it's rpm range and enjoy the car.

Best Regards
Dave

Quick Reply: Orthojoe says .2 with manual is AWESOME