Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantara vs Leather steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:22 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Alcantara is a cheap synthetic material. Leather is more expensive and feels a lot better to touch. For the track I use gloves, so grip is not an issue. Alcantara has always looked cheap to me. I wish I could have spec’d the LWB seat cushions in leather at no cost. I don’t mind the lower dash area and headliner being alcantara because those areas aren’t touched.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:25 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Alcantara is an expensive synthetic material that is lighter than leather and is the preferred choice for performance cars. Leather sometimes looks good when new but does not retain its new look like Alcantara. I just wish I could get the full interior in Alcantara.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I think some of the concerns about Alcantara longevity are overblown. My GT3 has Alcantara wheel, and after 4 years and 22K miles, it looks brand new. No shiny areas, no discoloration, no visible wear of any kind. I'm not babying it much. I do not use gloves and I clean it once a year with Sonax Alcanatara cleaner. It needs to be cleaned in a special way but it takes less than 10 minutes per year. Based on the wear it had so far, it would last well over 10 years, unless there is some acceleration of wear at some point (e.g., some kind of protective coating wearing off). Interstingly, Alcantara on the steering wheel on my driving simulator gets shiny after about 2 track days equivalent of driving, while the real GT3 wheel takes about 5x-10x as long to show same degree of dirtiness, so the quality of Alcantara is definitely not the same everywhere.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:13 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

"Alcantara is an expensive synthetic material that is lighter than leather and is the preferred choice for performance cars. Leather sometimes looks good when new but does not retain its new look like Alcantara. I just wish I could get the full interior in Alcantara."
"I do not use gloves and I clean it once a year with Sonax Alcanatara cleaner. It needs to be cleaned in a special way but it takes less than 10 minutes per year."

Fully agree and thanks for the cleaning info! Love the tactile feel of the GT3 steering wheel in Alcantara
Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

alcantara may be expensive, but looks cheap to me on the steering wheel. Leather feels and looks much better, and lasts longer. Very glad to have chosen the leather steering wheel.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

It’s just a matter of personal preference, both cosmetically and in term of feel.

from a cosmetic point of view, one consideration is whether you like to see more contrast between the steering wheel / shifter booth and the stitching on them. The black leather makes deviated stitching in platinum silver, red, or other lighter colors pop much more than does the alcantara, which looks more medium-dark Grey.

Personally i I like leather both for looks and feel, but agree the alcantara looks racier if that’s the attitude you’re after. Alcantara is also only way to get center marker in red on steering wheel without spending a fortune on CXX custom tailoring the steering wheel.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I find Alcantara only provides a good grip when I’m wearing Sparco race gloves (then it’s amazing). But driving around on the street with race gloves makes you look like a d-bag and you can’t use the new touchscreen in the GT3 while wearing them.
So, Leather for me this time...
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I find Alcanatra only provides a good grip when I’m wearing Sparco race gloves (then it’s amazing). But driving around on the street with race gloves makes you look like a d-bag and you can’t use the new touchscreen in the GT3 while wearing them.
So, Leather for me this time...
LOL Grant, that sums it up.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:19 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Leather....looks better with the red stitching....lasts longer
Old 12-17-2017, 10:28 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Alcantara last longer and looks better. Leather get shiny and looks terrible in a short time in my opinion. It is 2017 and Alcantara has replaced leather as the best interior material. Performance car = Alcantara interior.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get leather and want to change later to Alcantara it will cost you $1700 from Suncoast. Ask me how I know.
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (01-27-2021)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:41 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAM
Alcantara is an expensive synthetic material that is lighter than leather and is the preferred choice for performance cars. Leather sometimes looks good when new but does not retain its new look like Alcantara. I just wish I could get the full interior in Alcantara.
Alcantara is only a fraction of the price of leather.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:58 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I do not use gloves and I clean it once a year with Sonax Alcanatara cleaner. It needs to be cleaned in a special way but it takes less than 10 minutes per year.
Great tip on the Sonax, thx !
I prefer Alcantara in a sporty car and leather in a luxo barge. I do use driving gloves though, but when my SW does get dirty for some reason, I'll give the Sonax a try !
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAM
Alcantara last longer and looks better. Leather get shiny and looks terrible in a short time in my opinion. It is 2017 and Alcantara has replaced leather as the best interior material. Performance car = Alcantara interior.
Not always true. The alcantara will break down and get hardened before that leather wheel gets shiny. See the video above....very much the case. I had 16416 miles on my 991.1 GT3 with a leather wheel. The same miles on an alcantara wheel and it would have been trashed.

I feel the leather wheel and shifter/shifter boot go better with a leather-optioned Porsche. The stitching is more consistent looking with the rest of the dashboard and it exudes a bit more quality than the cheapness of alcantara
Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m a fan of both. I have alcantara in the GT / track cars and leather in my daily G63. I wouldn’t put leather in a GT car just as i wouldn’t put an alcantara wheel in my G63. Different wheels for different purposes.

Quick Reply: Alcantara vs Leather steering wheel