Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 RS vs Performante

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same parent company,no need to lie about ring time.
Ring time doesn't correlate to Short tracks . Ex . GT4 does better on short technical tracks than more powerful bigger cars.
Just recently same pro driver was faster in GT4 than 458 at willow springs at Big and streets.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why some miatas or momentum cars beat out majority of drivers here on shorter tracks. Alignment and tires does wonder over HP
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Isnt the arguing about performance just completely academic at this point? both cars are insanely fast, to the point where no normal driver has any chance of getting to its limits, even at the track. is it just a ding dong measuring contest to say my car has the fastest time at xyz (ignoring the fact that most people will never match those times or drive those tracks, or any track for that matter)?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I hear they are selling at $30k below list.. boggles my mind. I find this car much more desirable than a GT2RS which is going for $100k+ OVER list. What am I missing?
What are you missing? The Gt2 RS will be a great reliable track tool as it was built with track in mind first, then the rest.
The Huracan was built first as a street car/GT car, then performance, as an occasional track car, but it certainly isn't a track tool.
In the end, the GT2 RS is just expected to work and be fast, over and over and over again and the lambo is just supposed to be fast and reliable from time to time and just for some stints.

I would still take it over a GT2 RS, but I would wait for the Superleggera or the Trofeo (like the gallardo) version.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The GT2 is mighty fast but can not hear the engine

The Performante sounds surreal
Had the Performance for a few days. There is no car more fun to just blast for 10 minutes anywhere. No trunk space, no room behind the seats and horrible line of sight through the windshield, but you forget all that when you see the interior design and hear that engine and feel the g-force all at the same time!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there are some over enthusiastic interpretations being put on the tires here.
All GT2RS will come with either Michelin Or with Dunlop Sportsmaxx. Those are the 'options', same as they were for a Gt3RS.
Except, you can't choose which one you get - it depends on what arrives, and they are supposed to perform in a very similar way. In fact, some people think the Dunlop was the quicker tire, but not as durable, on the last iterations. Supposedly durability is better now, and on a par with Michelin.
There are no secret qualifying tires..., just two 'options'.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Performante loooks great, and the engine is a the trump card. I owned a Mk1 Superleggera and will definitely be interested if there's a Huracan version.

for now, it's not the same things as a 2RS, and you just won't be able to pound round and round the way you can in a 911. Huracan doesn't even allow you to spec harnesses which tellls you something.

Only big questions I have over the 2RS durability are whether or not either of the (option...) tires suffer dramatically from the extra HP, and also how quickly the water reservoir runs out in the real world.

A Manthey 2RS would be nice...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:15 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

here i have to jump in. there is a special Cup2 tire which is called Cup2 "ZP".
Was on some record laps (C7C06,...) and is also on the MB GT-R available.

German Content: https://www.mercedes-amg.com/pdf/deu...iste_FINAL.pdf
It´s the pricelist of the Cup2 ZP for the GT-R. Those ZP tires are not generally legal in GER. They have to be "typisiert via Einzelgenehmigung" which means single register on request - just for the specific car.

So this sounds not as a specif Mercedes specification as it is with the " * " or the P specifications with N0, N1 etc.
It sounds as a high performance SemiSlick. Above the Cup2, which is legal on any car without special TÜV registration...

I do not have any clear infos about the use of this ZP verison on Porsche cars.
But i guess it was on the record lap. And could be on all the Weissach Packages. maybe. or same procedure as on the GT-R...

Regarding Dunlops vs. Cup2 i have a different experienced. Had both on 991GT3RS´s. I prefer the Cup2 for laptimes. Maybe in the rain the Dunlop was a bit better - no laptime to prove. For playing sideways i prefer also the Dunlop.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
here i have to jump in. there is a special Cup2 tire which is called Cup2 "ZP".
Was on some record laps (C7C06,...) and is also on the MB GT-R available.

German Content: https://www.mercedes-amg.com/pdf/deu...iste_FINAL.pdf
It´s the pricelist of the Cup2 ZP for the GT-R. Those ZP tires are not generally legal in GER. They have to be "typisiert via Einzelgenehmigung" which means single register on request - just for the specific car.

So this sounds not as a specif Mercedes specification as it is with the " * " or the P specifications with N0, N1 etc.
It sounds as a high performance SemiSlick. Above the Cup2, which is legal on any car without special TÜV registration...

I do not have any clear infos about the use of this ZP verison on Porsche cars.
But i guess it was on the record lap. And could be on all the Weissach Packages. maybe. or same procedure as on the GT-R...

Regarding Dunlops vs. Cup2 i have a different experienced. Had both on 991GT3RS´s. I prefer the Cup2 for laptimes. Maybe in the rain the Dunlop was a bit better - no laptime to prove. For playing sideways i prefer also the Dunlop.
I thought aswell that the ZP was on the gt2 rs for the record but finally not! The car is delivered with the mpsc2 N2 and that's it
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Agree if it was a ZP, which is not available to buy with the car, that's a different thing, and it would be 'cheating' IMO.
no proof of that as you say, so just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions, as I've seen these things said before, and on closer inspection it just meant 'alternative' tyres.

Would agree with IsV though, if you extrapolate these times to circuits like a Spa, it seeems scarcely believable improvement.

pS...Where can I buy ZPs..? :-)

ETA - just saw post above, which reinforces my point
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Agree if it was a ZP, which is not available to buy with the car, that's a different thing, and it would be 'cheating' IMO.
no proof of that as you say, so just saying we shouldn't jump to conclusions, as I've seen these things said before, and on closer inspection it just meant 'alternative' tyres.

Would agree with IsV though, if you extrapolate these times to circuits like a Spa, it seeems scarcely believable improvement.

pS...Where can I buy ZPs..? :-)

ETA - just saw post above, which reinforces my point
I've heard about roughly the same thing as unotaz about SportAuto mentioning a 'special' tyre used from a german speaker... guess we'll need the scans to be up and someone who understands german to translate to know for sure. Agreed though it would be very unlike Porsche to do something like that.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Didn't know much about these, but they are on Corvette as well as mentioned.
As far as I can see, only make in 19 and 20s at the moment.
Porsche would have had to have special tires made for the tests. Seems very unlikely to me, but open to being proved wrong.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+2+ZP
Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't know much about these, but they are on Corvette as well as mentioned.
As far as I can see, only make in 19 and 20s at the moment.
Porsche would have had to have special tires made for the tests. Seems very unlikely to me, but open to being proved wrong.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+2+ZP

Done a bit of looking into this... this page on the sportauto test seems to suggest that the standard N2 Cup tyre wasn't used. my pidgin german seems to come up with them being able to test for the first time an exclusive new cup2 offered next year similar to the ZP tyre that is very optimised for dry/hot operating temps as can be seen by very poor braking when cold. something like that anyway!

I can't seem to paste the picture here full size properly unfortunately.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Performante loooks great, and the engine is a the trump card. I owned a Mk1 Superleggera and will definitely be interested if there's a Huracan version.

for now, it's not the same things as a 2RS, and you just won't be able to pound round and round the way you can in a 911. Huracan doesn't even allow you to spec harnesses which tellls you something.

Only big questions I have over the 2RS durability are whether or not either of the (option...) tires suffer dramatically from the extra HP, and also how quickly the water reservoir runs out in the real world.

A Manthey 2RS would be nice...
The water reservoir won't run out in the real world, even continuous water-methanol run out at most, at the same time as you put petrol, plus if it runs out, nothing happens besides the ecu pulling ignition timing (aka power), but you probably will only achieve those temperatures either in very HOT places or at the track.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

This "ZP" tires are run flats made for the Corvette. Tread pattern is more aggressive and based on the description more oriented to higher temp operating environments as isv wrote. Hopefully they start selling a *non-runflat* Porsche spec tire.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: GT2 RS vs Performante