Sponsored by:

New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 683 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So why not just mark all of their auctions as SOLD, regardless of the actual outcome? Things don't add up to a complete picture here -- something is missing (not right).

I have no problem with BaT offering a deal to the seller to lower his reserve and make everyone happy. The 5% fee is theirs to play with however they want -- all auctioneers do this all the time. Falsely representing results/outcomes is a problem and a different matter altogether.
Yeah I am not buying it either. There is something missing. Cant just mark things as sold or why not do that with every auction. Facts left out here for sure.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So why not just mark all of their auctions as SOLD, regardless of the actual outcome? Things don't add up to a complete picture here -- something is missing (not right).

I have no problem with BaT offering a deal to the seller to lower his reserve and make everyone happy. The 5% fee is theirs to play with however they want -- all auctioneers do this all the time. Falsely representing results/outcomes is a problem and a different matter altogether.

I got no horse in this race but from game theoretical perspective it is also possible that BaT competitors start spreading FUD about BaT to divert auction traffic to their own sites. Many internet wars out there.
You just contradicted yourself, if they use their 5% to reach reserve then that's not market price. Either way it seems that the highest bidder is here on Rennlist but it has only 3 posts, don't want to post his username but you can see it on the auction page.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema

whats the site?
pcarlisting

btw...nobody has mentioned that a $165k Msrp Agate 2018 GT3 sold on there Friday for $148k plus 5% buyer fee (this site doesn’t cap the 5%) so all in the buyer paid $155k. $10k under Msrp.

car was well optioned with LEDs, FAL, 18 ways, etc.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
If you were wondering why Bring a Trailer would pitch in to reach reserve price or they would report a sale when didn't occur, it's simply because they're trying to increase their company valuation. It doesn't matter if they're not profitable.

This is why their sales can't be used as comps.

BTW it looks like the highest bidder is on Rennlist, maybe he can confirm.
I can understand BaT pitching-in to make a deal work. Realtors do it all the time. I can't see them falsely reporting the result as a sale. Zero credibility.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

The strength of bat lies in the very many eyeballs watching the auctions, making expert comments and keeping the sellers honest. I doubt there can be room for another site doing the same thing, very hard to get a a critical mass of viewers.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You just contradicted yourself, if they use their 5% to reach reserve then that's not market price. Either way it seems that the highest bidder is here on Rennlist but it has only 3 posts, don't want to post his username but you can see it on the auction page.
I didn't contradict myself. The "market price" of a successfully completed auction at all auction venues includes (or excludes) various fees paid by buyer and/or seller to the auctioneer, which are negotiated on a per case basis. This is completely different from falsely claiming that a successful auction sale has occurred.

Finally, the highest bid at a well trafficked auction venue is a valuable market data point in its own right, regardless of whether it resulted in a sale or not. An actual sale is more valuable data, of course.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:22 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I didn't contradict myself. The "market price" of a successfully completed auction at all auction venues includes (or excludes) various fees paid by buyer and/or seller to the auctioneer, which are negotiated on a per case basis. This is completely different from falsely claiming that a successful auction sale has occurred.

Finally, the highest bid at a well trafficked auction venue is a valuable market data point in its own right, regardless of whether it resulted in a sale or not. An actual sale is more valuable data, of course.
I mentioned it earlier, by definition "market value" is what buyers are willing to pay and is based on an actual sale (if money is not exchanged it's not a sale), if a third party steps in to increase the highest big to reach reserve then that's not market.

And in order to determine market value we need multiple sales to do comps.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I mentioned it earlier, by definition "market value" is what buyers are willing to pay and is based on an actual sale (if money is not exchanged it's not a sale), if a third party steps in to increase the highest big to reach reserve then that's not market.

In every market transaction there are three important numbers:
1. The net price that the buyer pays.
2. The net price that the seller gets.
3. Transaction costs ( = 1 - 2 )

"Market value" does not necessarily and exclusively refer to #1 above.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

No single data point makes a market- it's merely one point. Plenty of everything selling, and the sell through ratio or the no reserve effect on the gooding cars shows that even at 400k+ there are interested parties. If I had unlimited money I definitely would have bought the gooding 918 and GT2RS and 4.0RS

There are ALWAYS shenanigans with auctions. ALWAYS. Google "sothebys scandal" or "bonhams art scandal" etc etc. lots of meat on the bone for auction houses and as the seinfeld speedster lawsuit thing shows recently a lot of people are interested in separating themselves or 'selling the big one' and that drives the market or auctioneer to engineer compromises into their individual deals. Its very fluid, very negotiable and no SEC regulations. You should be cynical about grandstanding "we crushed it with these all time high prices" type info...its propaganda to get everyone riled up to keep buying.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
When one thinks of MSRP, do they think of it with gas guzzler and delivery included in the number or the number without like you can find on vinanalytics?
When new, MSRP would include the two fees. When used, MSRP would not. But sellers like to include the fees similar to how some would include tax, CPO costs, etc. vinanalytics would not include the fees (I don’t believe so).
Old 03-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

You seem to keep missing the point that the buyer’s premium, regardless of whether the auction house shares any of it with the seller, is most certainly part of the “market price” analysis.

If you are bidding on a BaT car, are you factoring in the extra 5% in evaluating how much you are willing to pay? I would hope so.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

When new, MSRP would include the two fees. When used, MSRP would not. But sellers like to include the fees similar to how some would include tax, CPO costs, etc. vinanalytics would not include the fees (I don’t believe so).
Thank you. I’ve been waiting for an answer on how to think of that.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
docapl
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think BAT considers that GT4 sold if the high bid met reserve (including any possible BAT fee contribution to sale). At that point BAT immediately collects the 5% (up to $5K) fee from the buyer's credit card, the auction is marked sold, and BAT is then out of the picture, leaving it to the participants to conclude the transaction. Some issue could arise after point that between the buyer and the seller which may result in a sale not materializing.

Last edited by docapl; 03-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
No single data point makes a market- it's merely one point. Plenty of everything selling, and the sell through ratio or the no reserve effect on the gooding cars shows that even at 400k+ there are interested parties. If I had unlimited money I definitely would have bought the gooding 918 and GT2RS and 4.0RS

There are ALWAYS shenanigans with auctions. ALWAYS. Google "sothebys scandal" or "bonhams art scandal" etc etc. lots of meat on the bone for auction houses and as the seinfeld speedster lawsuit thing shows recently a lot of people are interested in separating themselves or 'selling the big one' and that drives the market or auctioneer to engineer compromises into their individual deals. Its very fluid, very negotiable and no SEC regulations. You should be cynical about grandstanding "we crushed it with these all time high prices" type info...its propaganda to get everyone riled up to keep buying.
Yup

I know of a guy who listed his car no reserve

Car wasn't getting what he wanted and he bid on the car to get it back

Eating auction fees

Two sides to every hammer strike

Quick Reply: New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM