Sponsored by:

New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 PM
kpflynn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranger22
Well that settles it. The market is completely gone!
It's certainly interesting. BAT prices usually pretty closely reflect the market - there used to be deals on there but now nearly everyone knows about it. I personally was going to bid on this but didn't because I assumed the reserve was going to be over MSRP. Combined with the 911R sale yesterday at $280k it feels like the market has weakened quite a bit.

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
People say eBay transactions are legally binding contracts, same as Bring a Trailer. Now try to go and enforce it...
Unlike eBay, Bring a Trailer auctions are all curated. You have to apply to be on there and each auction is written up by the staff. They do a dozen or so auctions a day vs the millions on eBay.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts

All the people commenting it isn’t a fair indicator are current owners and all those commenting it is are prospective buyers.

I think we can all agree that the cars selling are those that are close to, at or below MSRP.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,029 Likes on 2,297 Posts

There was a PTS Mexico Blue GT3 with delivery miles that sold for $180k ($5k over MSRP) this week on here. So seems like prices can vary 5-10% depending on options, color, and miles.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 PM
kpflynn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
All the people commenting it isn’t a fair indicator are current owners and all those commenting it is are prospective buyers.

I think we can all agree that the cars selling are those that are close to, at or below MSRP.
I'm a buyer and even I admit this is only a single data point. However, the general trend the past few weeks seems to be going in one direction.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't be surprised when the market picks up in spring/summer.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:25 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

You are on the money. Prices go down when temperatures go cold and down. Come spring when weather heats up, prices go along with it.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Don't be surprised when the market picks up in spring/summer.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy

i’m an owner and I’m glad to see the prices continue to drop. Never liked the ADM nonsense to begin with. It promotes flippers and hurts enthusiasts.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kpflynn
BAT automatically charges you a chunk of the auction price at the end of the auction if it's successful. It's a legally binding contract - it's extremely rare to see a deal on there not go through. This is as real of a comp as you can get.

Source: I've bought a car on BAT.
While it does appear to be rare for a winning BaT auction to go south, there is no forum on the site for grievances to be aired. There is no binding contract; after the auction BaT is no longer involved, and the buyer and seller are left to complete the transaction (I sold a car on BaT last year..was very pleased with the process and outcome). When you say BaT automatically charges "a chunk of the auction price", do they actually charge a portion of the sale price as a contingency? I suspect it is just their fee (5% for buyers).
Old 03-07-2019, 11:47 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If all you know is the bid, it’s useless data as regards market value. Just because nobody bid higher doesn’t mean that’s the value of the car, unless a seller actually agrees to the sale and a transaction really occurs. In this case, the seller was stupid if he agreed to such a low reserve and sold at that price. There are cars transacting at much better price levels.
The highest bid on a BaT auction that exceeds the reserve to which the seller agreed buys the car. The seller has already agreed with BaT to sell the car at any price that exceeds the reserve. Most sellers spend a ton of time preparing for the sale and engaging with prospective buyers during the seven-day auction. It's highly, highly unlikely that they wouldn't complete the sale for an auction that exceeded the reserve (indeed, many BaT auctions that DON'T meet the reserve still end up in a transaction, with seller and high bidders working out a deal on the side, for which I don't believe BaT is compensated by the buyer). It's unfair to consider the seller "stupid" for agreeing to whatever reserve he agreed without knowing his particular circumstances. It might not have been what you would have done, or me, but he chose his own path for his own reasons. Some commented that Carmax would have paid him more.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
..... When you say BaT automatically charges "a chunk of the auction price", do they actually charge a portion of the sale price as a contingency? I suspect it is just their fee (5% for buyers).
Within nanoseconds of a BaT auction closing, BaT charges the buyer's credit card 5%, up to $5k, of the final auction price. They do not charge anything related to funds due to the seller. If a buyer reneges on a won auction, and doesn't close the transaction, they will be banned from BaT, probably indefinitely, and they forfeit 100% of the amount paid to BaT. The seller may be able to take legal action but chances are the cost and trouble would far exceed the possible gain and so they don't.

BaT has actually become, perhaps, the very best gauge of the real market today, so prices there, while relatively few in number (re data points), reflect the market relatively well. But like most markets with any modicum of liquidity, one data point does not a market make.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Who cars if that one sale went through? It's an outlier datapoint and anyone looking at it rationally knows it. This one auction datapoint does not determine the market. We have dreamers on both sides of the isle: sellers and "standby" buyers.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Who cars if that one sale went through? It's an outlier datapoint and anyone looking at it rationally knows it. This one auction datapoint does not determine the market. We have dreamers on both sides of the isle: sellers and "standby" buyers.
BaT auctions are watched and followed widely. The fact remains that no one came in to outbid $155k. This makes it a tad more than just a "single datapoint" when a car changes hands between neighbors or friends without being exposed to the market.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:45 AM
911Nub
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
BaT auctions are watched and followed widely. The fact remains that no one came in to outbid $155k. This makes it a tad more than just a "single datapoint" when a car changes hands between neighbors or friends without being exposed to the market.
When I was shopping for GT3, I searched Ebay, AutoTrader, PorscheNationalPreOwn and Rennlist classified... I looked at BaT couple times but nothing interesting (at the time). I would think that none of my friends know about BaT. Is BaT really watched and followed widely?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Nub

When I was shopping for GT3, I searched Ebay, AutoTrader, PorscheNationalPreOwn and Rennlist classified... I looked at BaT couple times but nothing interesting (at the time). I would think that none of my friends know about BaT. Is BaT really watched and followed widely?
+1
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Nub
Seems that we have different friends, then.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Yep, agree with this. Still interesting to see all the machinations of the 991.2 GT3 pricing and depreciation.

Quick Reply: New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM