Sponsored by:

Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
The idea that your dissenting opinion is based on "facts, numbers and analysis" is laughable.

"I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective."

Yes; because if you don't actually purchase the cars you don't like and only test drive them instead you can't have a dual perspective right?

The 488 and fart-can .2 GTS are depreciating as fast as a rock falls. The 488 and .2 GTS were the best thing to ever happen to 458 and .1 GTS owners. The fact you'd compare them with the 720S, a car that shares the basic engine design of a P1, just because they all three have turbos is actually laughable. Let me know when you get your 720S; otherwise please talk about your cars that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can order to their spec today in the proper forum.
Try collecting telemetry its a wonderful thing. Thats right data, thousands of data points - facts that can be studied and from which conclusions can be made.

The funniest thing is a few weeks ago I spent a day with Ferrari and a group of 488GTBs, including a group of owners that brought their own personal cars ranging from 430 Scuds to 458 Italias and Speciales.

They were a really nice group of people, grounded and interesting. Some of them were really good drivers too, some less so.

The vast majority of people preferred the 488GTB including people that simultaneously owned both the GTB and Speciale. I did too.

They were the epitome of enthusiasts.

I'm actually just about to go and cut some laps in a 997 Cup and will follow that with some in my "fart can".

Keep it coming
Old 11-11-2017, 04:21 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
And again, you continue to play the man and not the ball.

The McLaren won this test because of its all round capabilities in a subjective vote.

Once again, I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective. Unlike you I can appreciate all sides but will always state my case without fear or favour, I don't care for class or tact. They are an artificial constructs, which by playing the man and not the ball marks you clearly for what you are.

You are in a thread discussing the Road and Track PCOTY. A largely subjective review that found the McLaren 720S the R and T PCOTY. A decision, I think you'll find many open minded car enthusiasts would endorse.

What clearly irks you is the simple fact that others disagree with your narrow view of the world and are prepared to articulate a reasoned dissenting opinion backed by facts, numbers and analysis.
You guys let's agree to disagree!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:41 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Try collecting telemetry its a wonderful thing. Thats right data, thousands of data points - facts that can be studied and from which conclusions can be made.

The funniest thing is a few weeks ago I spent a day with Ferrari and a group of 488GTBs, including a group of owners that brought their own personal cars ranging from 430 Scuds to 458 Italias and Speciales.

They were a really nice group of people, grounded and interesting. Some of them were really good drivers too, some less so.

The vast majority of people preferred the 488GTB including people that simultaneously owned both the GTB and Speciale. I did too.

They were the epitome of enthusiasts.

I'm actually just about to go and cut some laps in a 997 Cup and will follow that with some in my "fart can".

Keep it coming
I have; that's why I know you're losing your shirt on that 488 and .2 GTS to the tune of thousands of "data points." ....but hey - I'm sure you can afford it

Ferrari and Porsche went turbo because of big government; not because of the desires of the 'epitome of enthusiasts.'
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I have; that's why I know you're losing your shirt on that 488 and .2 GTS to the tune of thousands of "data points." ....but hey - I'm sure you can afford it

Ferrari and Porsche went turbo because of big government; not because of the desires of the 'epitome of enthusiasts.'
Completely agree. The 991.2 carreras and the 488 would not have been turbo if it wasn't for all the tree-huggers in international governments.

Going turbo for those two cars was not the first choice of either Ferrari or Porsche and there are plenty of interviews from several years ago stating the same.

Turbos are not the first choice of true automobile enthusiasts. Sure there are still many buyers for the 991.2 and 488 who want the newest thing, but 991.2 sales are noticeably down compared to the 991.1, the demand for 488 is much less than the 458 compared to the same time frame after the 458 release, and the current values of the 991.1 and 458 are higher than expected, because many, many auto enthusiasts prefer NA over a sterile, clinical, turbo rocketship.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-11-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

And again, you continue to play the man and not the ball.

The McLaren won this test because of its all round capabilities in a subjective vote.

Once again, I simultaneously own current Porsche NA and turbocharged sports cars - its allows a dual perspective. Unlike you I can appreciate all sides but will always state my case without fear or favour, I don't care for class or tact. They are an artificial constructs, which by playing the man and not the ball marks you clearly for what you are.

Again you keep missing the point. My original comment to you in this thread, WAS NOT SPECIFIC TO JUST THIS THREAD.

The 720 won the road and track car PCOTY. Fine, I cede you that point.

My entire issue with you, which is with the man, not the game, is that you specifically have a bad habit of wandering all over multiple rennlist forums, and telling everyone how woefully inferior their NA cars are compared to your turbos. This is what demonstrates a lack of class and tact.
You've done this multiple times on the 991 forum, which at least is comprised of half turbo and half NA owners, but still very rude in the way you've posted on that forum.
However, there is no reason for you to wander on the 991 911R, GT3, GT3RS forum, (as all these are NA cars), and look for opportunities to put down at every opportunity these NA sportscars we love.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you on this. I'm done debating this. I'm just asking you politely to stop behaving like a 19 year old "brah" across various rennlist threads (NOT JUST THIS ONE), instead of a seasoned auto enthusiast that i hope you are.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year