Sponsored by:

GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Have you sat in all of them? Do that. For me it was LWB with 4 way a distant second and 18 way just more weight and money than 4 way. As far as wife approved, have her sit in them. I like my women narrow body and none have complained about seats, but I can see how some with hips would find them uncomfortable.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:35 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue in choosing a seat. I am in a different situation as I'll only be driving the car on weekends at most.

18 and 4 way are the same shape so just as comfortable as each other.

18 way has bolster adjustment so if you are a slight small person these would help, also the base extends over 4 way which is nice and it has lumbar adjustment.

I measured height and the 18" sit lower by 10mm

as a daily and as it is a touring 18!way is the GO for sure also the seats fold over LWB's.
for a daily driver you would want as much adjustment as possible I would think
Old 09-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

I measured height and the 18" sit lower by 10mm
18 ways may sit lower than the LWBs, but the 18 ways still sit higher than the 4-ways.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:03 PM
SCA11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went back and forth too but settled on the 18s since it will 95% be driven on public roads vs the occasional track session.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:11 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Excellent responses everyone.

Wifey does love the look of the Bucket Seats but for long drives and she does like to recline/take a nap when we are cruising - the recline of the seat is much needed option.

I just love driving in back country roads and highways.

Can't believe I am going for a GT3 for a cruising/DD car.

Costco here I come
Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting
18 ways may sit lower than the LWBs, but the 18 ways still sit higher than the 4-ways.

the LWB's sit the lowest

the 18 ways sit lower than the 4 ways
we measured with a tape measure at the dealership with all seats all the way back and to the roof lining. I was surprised.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

the LWB's sit the lowest

we measured with a tape measure at the dealership with all seats all the way back and to the roof lining. I was surprised.
Were both cars sunroof delete cars and did you measure from seat bottom to floor as well? The 4 way SS+ seats are the same seat, just without the motors. I thought Porsche said they sit 1.5” lower due to the lack of room needed for the motors underneath. I owned both simultaneously and the 4 ways absolutely felt lower.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:37 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Were both cars sunroof delete cars and did you measure from seat bottom to floor as well? The 4 way SS+ seats are the same seat, just without the motors. I thought Porsche said they sit 1.5” lower due to the lack of room needed for the motors underneath. I owned both simultaneously and the 4 ways absolutely felt lower.

all 3 cars measured cars sunroof delete

OK i have just been down to the dealership with my tape measure.
seats all the way back and measures from the base of the seat where it meets the back rest to the roof lining.

18way 995 mm

4 way 985 mm

LWB 1010mm

So the 18 way seats were actually lower than the 4 way. This goes against all other posts. Though I just checked it with the Porsche dealer.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

the LWB's sit the lowest

I'm not disputing the LWB height as I've not measured them so don't have an opinion on those.

However, You are wrong about the 18 way vs 4 way height. Also simply running a tape measurer from the roof down the seat is the quickest yet least accurate way of measure the height of the seat from the floor of the car.

I've measured six GT3 s methodically , 3 cars with 4 ways and 3 cars with 18 ways, and in each comparison, the 4 way seats ride 30 mm lower than the 18 ways. This was done measuring the distance from the floor to top of the seat, and validated by finding the same height difference on the six GT3 models.

Rather logical if you also exam the underside of each seat, removed from the GT3, as I have.
The 18 ways have much more gearing and motors compared to the minimal motors required to only move the seats 4 ways in the 4 way seats.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Biff_Malibu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned 3 separate 991.1 GT3s. The second one I got to order, and went with the “cool as ****” buckets. After 1,500 miles I sold the car because of them and bought a used example with 18 ways. There is nothing comfortable about the LWBs in day to day use.

18 ways offer maximum comfort, and allow tightening of bolsters when needed. A lot of adjustability. In addition, your wife will not like getting in and out of the buckets. A real pain.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

I got allocation. : ) December Build and March 18 Delivery. I went with LWB, they are just too cool not to have. I will spring for a motel should the need arise, LOL
But usually the drive is too a wine country location, well equipped for the activities, so the LWB doesn't need to cater for.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:19 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
For daily use and to put things in the back, the 18 way seats would work better. I'm a golfer and I don't think it would have been possible to get the clubs in with LWB. Has anyone tried to put golf clubs in a car with LWB?
Small Sunday bag, woods and hybrids come out, the bag slides in the rear area. The long clubs lay on top of the bag.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:23 PM
karter34
Advanced

I'm not disputing the LWB height as I've not measured them so don't have an opinion on those.

However, You are wrong about the 18 way vs 4 way height. Also simply running a tape measurer from the roof down the seat is the quickest yet least accurate way of measure the height of the seat from the floor of the car.

I've measured six GT3 s methodically , 3 cars with 4 ways and 3 cars with 18 ways, and in each comparison, the 4 way seats ride 30 mm lower than the 18 ways. This was done measuring the distance from the floor to top of the seat, and validated by finding the same height difference on the six GT3 models.

Rather logical if you also exam the underside of each seat, removed from the GT3, as I have.
The 18 ways have much more gearing and motors compared to the minimal motors required to only move the seats 4 ways in the 4 way seats.
i am sorry though you only measured the seat back to the floor, they could be hinged lower in the 4 way.

The only real indication is how much room is left in the cabin.

base of the seat all in t ebsame position( all the way back) to the roof lining.
We measured all 3 cars 3 times and i had the service manager with me.

I was looking for measurements for aged no one could help so I went myself and then shared my findings.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

My GT 3 18 ways several track days all good.

My GT 4 even more track days w 18 ways all good.

My RS LWB's , zero track days w LWB's bc of poor seating position , bought race seat and acoutrements and luv it. One hour swap after first set up.

Drove the Ring in an RSR GT 3 rental w LWB's ,very uncomfortable and distracting until you get to fox hole and you are so .... doesn't matter....

Conclusion, LWB's look nice, but don't work well on street or track IMHO.

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LWB are the best seats they have!

Quick Reply: GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3