Sponsored by:

911R

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 PM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 911R

Does anyone have a feel for 911R prices?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

As someone who literally just pulled the trigger on one, after a ton of research, they hit that ridiculous point a few months ago and have since receded a nice chunk. What happens next is anyones guess, but it seems like the white cars are overall the most plentiful, but when they touch 400k they seem to sell pretty quickly. I got my car (a silver no stripes or decals 212k msrp car) for a little under 400...FWIW, it wasn't listed for more than a week at that price and it was the lowest listing in the world, with just one car from Florida being close in asking at 409. I'm thinking this is the bottom (plus or minus 20k for argument sake) of these things and they will sit here for a while until anything that's available gets picked up from the 395-415k price range for a NON PTS car. Once that happens, I and quite a few collectors are thinking it's going to start creeping up again. This time, it's not really going to come back down too much. Granted, it will probably take 5-7 years for it to climb to the 600-700 level "again" (if cars actually transacted for those numbers).

As far as the 911 gt3 touring package, I don't think that actually will make THAT much of any difference when it comes to the R value. When they made 991 of these and with the true spirit of driving instilled in it's zeitgeist, the pretty much guaranteed it's desirability for life. Yes, other cars will out perform it, or maybe even get more raw...but there's something about the not being "R-like or style" and being an actual R. That's my opinion, and I could have my *** completely handed to me (wouldn't be the first time)...but normally I'm pretty good when it comes to these things
Old 09-07-2017, 12:44 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 911R

Thanks for your response.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
As someone who literally just pulled the trigger on one, after a ton of research, they hit that ridiculous point a few months ago and have since receded a nice chunk. What happens next is anyones guess, but it seems like the white cars are overall the most plentiful, but when they touch 400k they seem to sell pretty quickly. I got my car (a silver no stripes or decals 212k msrp car) for a little under 400...FWIW, it wasn't listed for more than a week at that price and it was the lowest listing in the world, with just one car from Florida being close in asking at 409. I'm thinking this is the bottom (plus or minus 20k for argument sake) of these things and they will sit here for a while until anything that's available gets picked up from the 395-415k price range for a NON PTS car. Once that happens, I and quite a few collectors are thinking it's going to start creeping up again. This time, it's not really going to come back down too much. Granted, it will probably take 5-7 years for it to climb to the 600-700 level "again" (if cars actually transacted for those numbers).

As far as the 911 gt3 touring package, I don't think that actually will make THAT much of any difference when it comes to the R value. When they made 991 of these and with the true spirit of driving instilled in it's zeitgeist, the pretty much guaranteed it's desirability for life. Yes, other cars will out perform it, or maybe even get more raw...but there's something about the not being "R-like or style" and being an actual R. That's my opinion, and I could have my *** completely handed to me (wouldn't be the first time)...but normally I'm pretty good when it comes to these things
Hold off on your valuation analysis until the Touring Package details are revealed. It's supposed to be a carbon copy of the 911R right down to the softer suspension. If it accomplishes the same goals as the 911R the bottom has not been reached. I'm waiting on the sides as a prospective GT3 manual, or 911R purchaser to see what we have in front of us.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

I don't have the real-life experience of buying one as sechsgang, but I do follow the market closely and before I read his post, I was going to say around $400k. Unlike sechsgang, I believe valuations will decline a bit more, perhaps into the $350k range if you're in the right place at the right time.

Long term, of course, is anyone's guess, but he makes some good points.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not sure if this is a repost, but it looks as though Porsche is considering unlimited run of 911R:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/05/...ted-run-911-r/

Not sure what impact that may have to the original R car value if any.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Hold off on your valuation analysis until the Touring Package details are revealed. It's supposed to be a carbon copy of the 911R right down to the softer suspension. If it accomplishes the same goals as the 911R the bottom has not been reached. I'm waiting on the sides as a prospective GT3 manual, or 911R purchaser to see what we have in front of us.
I had thought about that, but in the end of the day, even if the gt3 touring package copies 95 percent of the car, or even makes the driving experience better...it will still never be the "R" or have it's strange/unique history and desirability that collectors go nuts over. You also have to remember the people who own most of the R's as well...these guys don't want their stock falling so to speak and most of them bought it at MSRP, so at least until a real financial downturn (which honestly is a semi-looming happenstance at this point I've got to admit), they aren't going to be quick to sell these at lower prices than where the market is (though I wouldn't be shocked if one sold for 350 at some point, but that could be a white R with dual mass flywheel, non CF buckets and base equipment basically). After I called around, dealers weren't really wiling to budge at ALL once they got below the 415 mark FWIW. If you want an R and can negotiate down below the 400 level on a car you like the options of, I'd say this is probably one of the better chances youll buy. Secondly...manual GT3 allocations which are then specced with this package won't exactly be a dime a dozen either (especially if they keep the availability semi scarce), and I bet you they actually sell for a pretty penny over on the secondary market, even if just for the likeness of an R, so they won't exactly be available at 145-155k to just anyone either (and thats without ticking almost any boxes). In the end, it's really a calculated guessing game/crap shoot, but the R has it's place in collectors garages pretty firmly at this point.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:29 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'm not sure if this is a repost, but it looks as though Porsche is considering unlimited run of 911R:

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/05/...ted-run-911-r/

Not sure what impact that may have to the original R car value if any.

Best Regards,
Dave

This is the GT3 Touring package btw. R nomenclature is finished for a while...but again, many who have already specced GT3s wont be able to change orders, and the ones who have manual orders and still the ability to change will have a crack at it...but how many actually bite? Even if its 1000 of them, 2000 cars remotely like an R in the world still put it at a pretty rare place.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:47 AM
InnovateGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a December manual production slot for the GT3 and I'm considering switching to the Touring PKG if its offered. But I agree, I can't see Porsche diluting the R moniker if this pkg is offered, especially so close to the R having come out.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by InnovateGT3
I've got a December manual production slot for the GT3 and I'm considering switching to the Touring PKG if its offered. But I agree, I can't see Porsche diluting the R moniker if this pkg is offered, especially so close to the R having come out.
Will the Touring PKG be offered with single mass flywheel?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

by virtue that it has the "R" badge and a "numbered" plate on the glove box, it will always be coveted and priced higher than GT3 touring.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The RS 997 4.0 is still worth more than 2X what a 2016 RS is worth... "just small differences" add up in a non-linear way.

In regards to raw values...I am starting to finally see separation for certain specs.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
I doubt it will, just because the regular GT3 can not have one.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Highly unlikely given completely different engine. But its for this reason, the mag and the carbon bits, the removal of sound insulation, etc will continue to provide the R (along with its moniker) the slight differentiation to ensure it holds it value above a GT3.2 with touring package option of unknown build numbers.

If I was a collector, I wouldn't think a gt3.2 touring will hold or do anything like the value curve that a R will have.

Still think the touring package will dent R prices a little but not drastically.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928cs
I doubt it will, just because the regular GT3 can not have one.
This is one of the biggest differentiators (even though it's just one part so to speak) and effects the entire character of the car. And as I mentioned, a dual mass flywheel in an R will bring the value down( literally 20k-30k) and a car without pepita or houndstooth inserts will push it down another 10-15k from the premium (not the MSRP mind you still). That's how you'll maybe see a couple go under the 380 mark if ever.

Quick Reply: 911R