Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use Winter tires Porsche offers for Nov ED GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Oaktown
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Use Winter tires Porsche offers for Nov ED GT3?

Recommendations on tire choice during winter pickup?
November 18 Zuffenhausen pickup.

Have two weeks to circle back.
Looking forward to factory tour.
Been to Porsche and Mercedes museum. Both fantastic.
Besides the maybe of The Ring (done that with rental ring cars-what a gas!) and Spa, Would like to travel through Austria and continue south through Italy. Their high speed roads seemed to be a lot less crowded, and less continuous construction, than Germany's.

Winter tires are supposedly the law, but doesn't seem to be upheld.
Not sure yet what tire Porsche provides.

Anyone checked the box for Euro Delivery no cost use of Winter Tires?
Would like to hear feedback from those who experienced.

Thanks

Build is below.
Might change to LO, and boot PCCBs.
Footwell Net and fire ext gone.

1 991810 911 GT3 130,400.00

2 N1 Sapphire Blue Metallic 710.00

3 28 Standard Interior in Black with Seats in Leather/Alcantara® 0.00

4 082 Extended Range Fuel Tank 0.00

5 450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) 9,210.00

6 474 Front Axle Lift System 3,490.00

7 490 Sound Package Plus 700.00

8 509 Fire Extinguisher 140.00

9 581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell 0.00

10 583 Smoking Package 0.00

11 810 Floor Mats 0.00

12 900 European Delivery (Zuffenhausen) 0.00

13 P11 Full Bucket Seats 4,730.00

14 P1A Brushed Aluminum Interior Package, Anthracite i.c.w. Standar 325.00

15 P23 Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Modu 0.00

16 XDG Wheels Painted in Black 685.00 (would prefer RS Satin over Gloss)

17 XEX Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light Sy 1,375.00

18 XFJ Instrument Dials in White 860.00

19 XYB Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish 160.00

20 EFA Pedals and Footrest in Aluminum 625.00 (Matt's suggestion)

Total Retail Vehicle Price 153,410.00

Destination Charge 995.00

Gas Guzzler Tax 1,000.00

Total of Charges & Taxes 1,995.00

German VAT Deposit 29,147.90 - Hello!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Havent done ED, but have a few places in Germany / keep a handful of cars there - you are correct, it is unlawful to drive in icy conditions in germany without winter tires. We generally have our winter tires put on in october and keep them on thru march or mid-april. I dont think there is a set date, but hard to know exactly when it will snow, so we just do it.

Just re read and noticed youre planning to visit austria, im fairly certain they are required from novermber 1 thru april 15 in austria.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 AM
XBrit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did ED in March & ticked the Winter tires box.
Car was fitted with Continental all season tires on 911 TTS wheels.
Big sticker on the dash saying limit speed to 240kph.
Put about 3000 miles on the car in 2 weeks, so was glad to be burning Porsche's rubber rather than my own.
No problems with speed or handling on a variety of roads and road conditions (wet, dry & a little bit of ice & snow).
When car appeared in San Diego, it had brand new Michelins on GT3 wheels.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Oaktown
Advanced

Xlnt info. Thanks XBrit and AutobahnA8.

Love the GT3 wheel. Will be interesting to see the car in something else.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaktown
Winter tires are supposedly the law, but doesn't seem to be upheld.
It is the law and it is upheld. If you happen to get in to an accident without the proper tires, you will be liable regardless of fault. Not something to risk (sounds like you are getting them anyway.)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I was told its the law to run snow tires and was offered snow tires but requested the car to be delivered with normal tires for track days.

October snow is unlikely and I'm trailering most of the way anyways.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:05 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to double check, but I believe your destinations require snow tires as conditions dictate, or like France when marked on alpine passes. The law in most of these countries specifies conditions.

This translates as missing the mountain passes, particularly in your case at the intersection of Switzerland, Italy, and Austria. You don't want to deal with liability issues in an accident where snow tires are mandated due to conditions.

Otherwise, you are good to go. Have a blast and save the mountain passes for a future summer visit.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely go snowtires. Also, for the roads you seem to want to do. Visit DrJupeman's ED thread, he went on a tour thru those countries with the factory and he may be able to give you valuable feedback of the roads and how to get onto the tour that he did if that interests you. Also he took pix and you can see the roads were breathtaking! So he might be a really valuable resource for you in that regard.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:57 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely get them. They are mandatory in Austria. Germany and Switzerland will find you liable in the event of problems as a result of your lack of them.

I wouldn't much fancy mountain roads at that time of year on Cups anyway..
Old 11-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Oaktown
Advanced

Default Sure glad Porsche provided Winter tires.

Nov 21, 2015 Munich, Germany.
Snowed last night and early this evening in the hills outside Munich.
Last night on the way in to Munich, raining hard for good few hours. The Germans were still Haulin' ( us too, but maybe not quite as bold as a few).
[[Side note: needed to apply brakes during a high speed section. The PCCB's felt weird, mush, pedal higher position when pads made contact? Little scary when first applied after a long haul up the cold wet autobahn. The power was not there as they usually have been. Felt slippery, like was squeezing water between cold pads and rotors. Left foot dragged the brakes for a bit, but not immediate better. Then later as came closer in to town, back to normal incredible. Hmmmm..., more on that later. ]]
The Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires provided have been fantastic. The Hwys, Alpen Strasse, even Nürburgring with pretty semi-gentle under 5.5K rpm break-in laps. They gave plenty of advanced notice as they began to break free. During a few braking sections, ABS kicked in when maybe it wouldn't have with stock cups.
We did find limits of tire and rear engine without traction control in a wet rainy parking lot near Konigsee. Spun like a top. Gas in the turn, as rear began to break free, let off the gas instead of powering through, pendulum swung around real quick.
Besides that shenanigan episode, tires are impressive. Saving our tail in the snow today.
Went up to Disney's heir castle today. Neuschwanstein Castle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_Castle

Partial cloudy skies, just like the weather reports mentioned. Photo ops all over. After dinner, we were last to leave the nearby castle restaurant. Everyone else must have got the winter storm warning and got out quickly. Snowstorm heavy enough to start covering few of the cars left in some of the lots. We had approx two hours back to Munich. An approx hour of backroad Alpen Strasse slow in the heavy snow. The big fluffy snowflakes that provide the mesmerizing continuous curtains of white polka dot walls. All traction control on. Besides my lucky co-driver having a hard time seeing the road, the tires were there with plenty traction in turns and braking.
We've been very lucky this whole 2-week trip w the weather. Spa track day it rained before and after our visit. (Ran RSR's M235i's ). Nürburgring rained the day before, and the track was almost perfect near the end of the day when we finally ran the GT3 around a few laps.
Besides yesterday and today's wintery times, it's been pretty warm and mostly partly cloudy days. The Pilot Sport Cup-2's would have been nice a few days perhaps, but with the cars required break-in period, unfamiliar roads, and unfamiliar car (to me), and this time of year it is/was the best choice for me. It allowed us to drive everyday, through many countries, and load up the break-in miles. (Hit the 3,000km just tonight &#128516
Thanks Porsche for the loan of tires and Turbo wheels, and Rennlisters for experienced advice.

Front Winter: 245/35R/20 vs 245/35ZR
Rear Winter: 295 vs standard 305

Found this note just today. My kids snuck a few notes in my bags. This one in my mini-tripod, not used until today. Quite fitting.

Last edited by Oaktown; 11-21-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add pics and correct link
Old 11-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Oaktown
Advanced

Default More pics from the day's journey

On the way in

Neuschwanstein castle nestled in

The other Castle.

Last edited by Oaktown; 11-21-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Add pics.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that castle sits in the perfect setting with that outrageous backdrop. Nice pic.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:05 AM
16'991GT3
Pro

Very jealous you were able to do the ED, seems like a blast and definitely something that will hold as a valuable experience congrats!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Oaktown
Advanced

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Very jealous you were able to do the ED, seems like a blast and definitely something that will hold as a valuable experience congrats!

Re: getting EuroD. I had to tell sales guy to not accept "no" as an answer. Get back in there and ask again. Just as we were told no more GT3's were going to b available, we re-tried and succeeded.
Two late November spots became available. Chose earlier one. Then, as closer to date arrived, found out car was complete and sitting. Asked if earlier ED might be available and it was. Someone may have backed out. We got 1-week earlier, allowing us to get a track day at Spa w RSR, and the last day at Nürburgring Nov15. Weather was great. Snowed last two days. Perfect day for BMW museum. End of the day, clear sky's and roads for one last run up the Autobahn to Stuttgart. Hit the Michelin Alpin's 240kph limit at night. Car is so solid.
All is good.
Time to get on the plane and back to reality. Ha!

Will miss these roads.
Aufwiedersehen Germany.
See ya soon GT3.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Awesome to hear, glad you were able to get the ED through your persistence, it wasn't really something I was looking to do, due to uncertainty of my future when car will be coming so decided to not even ask, but definitely something I wish I could have done, maybe when I get the next P car ill be able to do it, definitely looks and sounds like a memorable experience after seeing your pictures, congrats again and have a safe flight!

Quick Reply: Use Winter tires Porsche offers for Nov ED GT3?