Oil and Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 680 Posts
Default Oil and Brake fluid

For those who plan to track their GT3------

What high-temp brake fluid do you use and how often do you change it?

Same question for oil. What do you use and how often do you change it?

(I heard that the synthetic mobil product is not what it used to be, even though Porsche still recommends it)

Appreciate all thoughts
Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Brakes seem to be unfazed by anything I do even with stock pads and fluid - cooling seems to be really well designed on this generation (for comparison, I managed to overheat 385mm Alcon brakes at Watkins Glen with my previous car). So given that there are no heat issues, I see no reason to change fluid more than once a season, especially given low humidity here (I do not think it really rained since I moved to SF a year ago). I will do a flush Motul 600, Endless or Castrol SFR fluid every 12 months, unless someone convince me otherwise.

As for the oil - my plan is to follow Porsche recommended maintenance for track use, changing oil just a bit more frequently to be on the safe side.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I also moved to SF a year ago, live on hilly telegraph hill. Curious how the roads here are treating your car?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I will do a flush Motul 600, Endless or Castrol SFR fluid every 12 months, unless someone convince me otherwise. .
Yep, all good ones. I like Endless (Porsche factory fill for race cars).
Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Recommend/use:
Castrol SRF
Joe Gibbs DT40 oil
Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the thoughts so far.

Done a lot of research and Castrol SRF appears to be the consensus brake fluid of choice with a much higher wet boiling point than Motul or ATE. Apparently the Castrol doesn't need to be flushed as often as the other two, despite being more expensive to start with.

I have another question regarding the oil. I was thinking of using Mobil 5/50 to ensure protection during summer racing. I asked the dealer about this yesterday and they suggested I leave in the current oil until I had completed the break-in period. They were surprising uncertain of what oil to recommend in my climate (Philadelphia), for someone who will be tracking a GT3 once a month, DD it half of the week, and not driving the GT3 during the two-three coldest months of the year.

Would you guys use a 5/50 oil for that type of driving?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Appreciate the thoughts so far.

Done a lot of research and Castrol SRF appears to be the consensus brake fluid of choice with a much higher wet boiling point than Motul or ATE. Apparently the Castrol doesn't need to be flushed as often as the other two, despite being more expensive to start with.

I have another question regarding the oil. I was thinking of using Mobil 5/50 to ensure protection during summer racing. I asked the dealer about this yesterday and they suggested I leave in the current oil until I had completed the break-in period. They were surprising uncertain of what oil to recommend in my climate (Philadelphia), for someone who will be tracking a GT3 once a month, DD it half of the week, and not driving the GT3 during the two-three coldest months of the year.

Would you guys use a 5/50 oil for that type of driving?
Don't worry about summer temps where you are. The engine cooling system is phenomenal in this car. I use stock Mobil 1 0W40 and oil temp has not gotten a hair over 230, and that is in 100 degree weather. FWIW, I use Motul 600 brake fluid. I don't bleed the brakes but replace the fluid every 3-4 months (assuming I continue to track 3-4 times a month.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I use endless. Good stuff. Brakes are always amazing. I do a bleed after a weekend event. Probably overkill as the stuff coming out looks just like stuff going in.
endless, motul, castrol srf
Old 08-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Don't worry about summer temps where you are. The engine cooling system is phenomenal in this car. I use stock Mobil 1 0W40 and oil temp has not gotten a hair over 230, and that is in 100 degree weather. FWIW, I use Motul 600 brake fluid. I don't bleed the brakes but replace the fluid every 3-4 months (assuming I continue to track 3-4 times a month.
Thanks Sam. Your perspective is very useful as you live in a hotter climate than me and you've been tracking your car seriously since you received it. Nice to know just how cool the car has been. I worry less about an engine fire.......

I do wonder about the need to bleed the brakes if you use one of the several common racing brake fluids and you replace the fluid frequently. Your approach seems very reasonable.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you. The mechanic that you go to and reference frequently. Is he a private guy that specialized in german cars, in Porsches, or just people who race?
As I get more serious about racing, I need to find myself someone like that in the western Philly area.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also use castrol SRF, and it's quite good!
The fluid gets hot and I have a little mushroom pedal (after 10/15min, on a track like Nürburgring GP), but it always comes back firm when cooled.
And it was confirmed later by bleeding the calipers : almost no bubble!

Talking about this mushroom pedal, could it be also from the brake lines in "rubber", working too much? Maybe some braided steel could help on that?

Last thing about the braking system, which surprise me : if you correctly (completely) fill the tank, some fluid will get out from calipers on the first few minutes on track!
Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Motul 300v 5w-50
Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Nodrip
I also use castrol SRF, and it's quite good!
The fluid gets hot and I have a little mushroom pedal (after 10/15min, on a track like Nürburgring GP), but it always comes back firm when cooled.
And it was confirmed later by bleeding the calipers : almost no bubble!

Talking about this mushroom pedal, could it be also from the brake lines in "rubber", working too much? Maybe some braided steel could help on that?

Last thing about the braking system, which surprise me : if you correctly (completely) fill the tank, some fluid will get out from calipers on the first few minutes on track!
What is "mushroom pedal"?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What is "mushroom pedal"?
Spongious pedal! My bad! :-(

Typically the "soft" pedal that you can have when the brake fluid is too hot!

Quick Reply: Oil and Brake fluid