Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two SPYDERS, One Decision, Help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:33 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981

LOL. I just like GT silver more than Rhodium, which doesn't do much for me.
I love the red interior. Would have ordered it had I stayed with white.
Since we've been talking so long about colors and specs here I've collapsed the two silvers (rho + gt), the two blacks (flat, metallic), and the two whites (flat, metallic). This is where I get Black White and Silver being the majority of Builds which makes the PTS and other colors a little special.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Hey elp, it's OK to hate red! You either love it or hate it and I totally get that, but I have to rally to the defense of my Spyder Classic interior and assure everyone "the whole freaking interior" is NOT red . Far from it. The seats have red bolsters, but the seat inserts and seat backs, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of the seating material, are black. The vast majority of the door panels are black with red basically being the color of choice above the belt line and black the color below. The carpet is black. The standard sun visors are black. The headliner is black. The wheel and shifter are black. The glovebox is black.

It's all subjective, of course, and clearly the black-to-red ratio is not to your liking, but there IS a healthy dose of black throughout to break up the red. Now there are some Porsche interiors that ARE all red - carpet, seats, door panels, dash, wheel, shifter, you name it - and even for this ardent fan of red interiors that is more red than I can handle.

Really, it's pointless to argue back and forth on the seats. Either they fit you or they don't. Either they leave you feeling OK after 300 miles in the saddle, or they don't. Either you can get in and out without much difficulty, or you can't. Either they give you the support you want for the primary type of driving you do in the car, or they don't. For every person that says they're great, there's another person that says they're lacking in this way or that. Like picking your wife, it's a totally personal choice.

Having said all that, there ARE two points about the LWBs that are beyond dispute:

1. They totally look the biz. Just a killer looking seat and no surprise they appear in the GT and halo P. cars like the 918 and R.

2. Ladies and LWBs generally do not mix, as you correctly point out!
^ +1 for the Spyder Classic interior with LWBs!

The interior is not all red, but a nicely balanced look (particularly if you have a GT Silver exterior so the interior panels match) and with the LWB with the CF it just looks exceptional - IMHO

I do like the white with classic interior also.

Comfort wise - took the wife around Europe for a couple of weeks in them and she thought they were just fine - no complaints at all. And you'll get no complaints from me as to how they keep you nice, snug and secure during the spirited driving these things are made for.

Someone posted there were only 38 with this combo in Nth America, so I'm guessing that unless you specced one this way yourself, the combo won't be an issue for others as they likely won't be available that often.

Please excuse the matching red key pouch
Old 06-29-2017, 04:38 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Classic interior is the best ever and if you disagree well that's fine but you are wrong.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^ Love the trim on the mats!

Originally Posted by Dalema
Please excuse the matching red key pouch
Oh, the pouch is a must! Anytime you can check a box on your build for a Porsche option that is "only" $168, you gotta go for it.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Since we've been talking so long about colors and specs here I've collapsed the two silvers (rho + gt), the two blacks (flat, metallic), and the two whites (flat, metallic). This is where I get Black White and Silver being the majority of Builds which makes the PTS and other colors a little special.
gotcha.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
^^^ Love the trim on the mats!

Oh, the pouch is a must! Anytime you can check a box on your build for a Porsche option that is "only" $168, you gotta go for it.
Yes - an absolute bargain - haha. Nice pick up on the mats - I thought they added a nice touch to tie in the interior. Melissa helped with a few of the touches I added to the car (exterior mainly).

Oh - and your pouch photos are more representative of the color than my washed out crappy iphone photos. It's a deeper, more rich red than in the pouch photo too.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:31 PM
FrugalB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White, and I'm not biased at all.......

And agree with others, I don't dig red interiors or black rims.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Skorp
AutoX

I'd take that silver one in a heart beat even though I do not like silver cars too much. That interior is amazing!! <3
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Shout out to white over red but because that's not an option I would go with the white one. Silver one doesn't sound to be in good condition and the white is absolutely stunning imo
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 AM
mcgunnig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Shout out to white over red but because that's not an option I would go with the white one. Silver one doesn't sound to be in good condition and the white is absolutely stunning imo
I just stumbled onto this thread the other day ... hours before I took delivery on the silver one here in Virginia. When I saw the stuff about the car being pitted and rough, I almost puked. What, do I tell Phillips to just leave the thing on the truck?

Happily, there was no issue. The car has been driven 6k miles, so of course there are a couple minor chips up front, but barely noticeable. The car's great looking, great to drive, and sounds stunning. I can't wait to see what it does wide open @ VIR, Watkins Glen, etc.

From the pictures, the red interior nearly scared me away. But in real life, it's much more subtle than you'd think. Looks nice. Lots of "I love the red" from friends and neighbors.

Price: it was a consignment car, listed through Phillips. I called when the owner did a price reduction on Autotrader, and he was kind enough -- working through Alex from the dealership -- to shave a little more off to get the deal done.

If you're drawn to the white one, I'd say, "Call Alex, and go for it."

Quick Reply: Two SPYDERS, One Decision, Help me decide.