Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two SPYDERS, One Decision, Help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with Jeanrabelais...one would be good two would be better
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

White as I don't like rhodium with painted black wheels/ gt silver interior accents
really all personal preference though. Not crazy about either cars build tbh
Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

I'll go with the white " I am biased" just for the seats
Irrespective of what you read here about the bucket seats , that they are great etc
I think they have two issues
1. getting in and out issue which a lot of people talk about. I think this is the smaller of the two issues. It is doable with not much effort
2. sitting in them for a long drive. They are ok at best , but feel unnatural to me , and after a while annoying
I got the buckets in my RS and this will be the last car with them if I can help it
good luck
Old 06-28-2017, 03:39 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I am really torn between the two cars but white get my vote but silver have clear bra and CPO. I offered $100k for either car but dealer want more. I don't think I will give them more than $100k for a used Spyder yet. Will see if they bite with my offer.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I hate modern cars with red interiors so much, but I know guys who love it.

So for me, based on the red alone I'd pass on that one.

Yet I get it, it's supposed to be a fun wild car...I just hate red interiors.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I am really torn between the two cars but white get my vote but silver have clear bra and CPO. I offered $100k for either car but dealer want more. I don't think I will give them more than $100k for a used Spyder yet. Will see if they bite with my offer.
I debated that white car, but I think it's overpriced as well, particularly with that mileage. My offer would have been below yours, so I figured it was a waste of time. I guess I was right.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

I think it just bad timing. Summer and convertible equal 10% premium. Wait until winter time and the premium go down 10% when most people across the country can't drive their Spyder in snow and rain. LOL.
I have the time and the money and the toys to fill my summer thirst. Good luck hunting
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I've seen both before buying my current car. The gray car is DEFINITELY not concourse.

It's got a lot of pitting and little things here and there. They have no business asking that price for it but hey someone might pay it. Wasn't me. I offered MSRP and no more given the condition.

The white car didn't interest me because I wanted classic with buckets. I hope you get a deal on the one you want though! They weren't too interested in negotiating a few weeks ago.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:56 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Ask for the silver with the silver wheels Love the classic interior as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I also HATE fully red interiors. Seats and door inserts would be acceptable if everything else was what I wanted. But a red dash is an absolute deal-breaker for me, let alone the whole freaking interior. Now the seats. I'm only 160, so fit in either one, but unless you're exclusively using the car for the track, the hyped LWBS would be a deal-breaker for me as well. I had the displeasure to travel 300 miles on an GT3RS with those, and was done with the car when I got home. Have traveled full days on my GTS with 18 ways, and MUCH better. Plus they have ventilation and heat. They're also somewhat confining, but immensely more comfortable, so the perfect compromise for my sporting tastes. The LWBSs just go too far for a street car, especially if you plan to have a female passenger (most HATE those seats). Good luck.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I think it just bad timing. Summer and convertible equal 10% premium. Wait until winter time and the premium go down 10% when most people across the country can't drive their Spyder in snow and rain. LOL.
I have the time and the money and the toys to fill my summer thirst. Good luck hunting
Agreed. I also think that all the hype around the .2 GT3 limited availability, coupled with the black cloud around the .1 GT3 motor issue, is pushing more demand over to the Spyder and the GT4 for people to get their N/A fix while still steering clear of the standard cars. That and this ridiculous asset bubble the Fed seems to have little interest in bursting.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Whatever the Fed do, stay clear of Bank of America. I was hoping for an interest hike and a spike in their stock.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
White as I don't like rhodium with painted black wheels/ gt silver interior accents
really all personal preference though. Not crazy about either cars build tbh
LOL, not everyone was in a position to do PTS. silver white and black spyders make up the majority of spyders I believe?

I just want to defend Red Interiors lol and say that taste is just habit.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I also HATE fully red interiors. Seats and door inserts would be acceptable if everything else was what I wanted. But a red dash is an absolute deal-breaker for me, let alone the whole freaking interior.
Hey elp, it's OK to hate red! You either love it or hate it and I totally get that, but I have to rally to the defense of my Spyder Classic interior and assure everyone "the whole freaking interior" is NOT red . Far from it. The seats have red bolsters, but the seat inserts and seat backs, which I'm guessing comprise the majority of the seating material, are black. The vast majority of the door panels are black with red basically being the color of choice above the belt line and black the color below. The carpet is black. The standard sun visors are black. The headliner is black. The wheel and shifter are black. The glovebox is black.

It's all subjective, of course, and clearly the black-to-red ratio is not to your liking, but there IS a healthy dose of black throughout to break up the red. Now there are some Porsche interiors that ARE all red - carpet, seats, door panels, dash, wheel, shifter, you name it - and even for this ardent fan of red interiors that is more red than I can handle.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Now the seats. I'm only 160, so fit in either one, but unless you're exclusively using the car for the track, the hyped LWBS would be a deal-breaker for me as well. I had the displeasure to travel 300 miles on an GT3RS with those, and was done with the car when I got home. Have traveled full days on my GTS with 18 ways, and MUCH better. Plus they have ventilation and heat. They're also somewhat confining, but immensely more comfortable, so the perfect compromise for my sporting tastes. The LWBSs just go too far for a street car, especially if you plan to have a female passenger (most HATE those seats). Good luck.
Really, it's pointless to argue back and forth on the seats. Either they fit you or they don't. Either they leave you feeling OK after 300 miles in the saddle, or they don't. Either you can get in and out without much difficulty, or you can't. Either they give you the support you want for the primary type of driving you do in the car, or they don't. For every person that says they're great, there's another person that says they're lacking in this way or that. Like picking your wife, it's a totally personal choice.

Having said all that, there ARE two points about the LWBs that are beyond dispute:

1. They totally look the biz. Just a killer looking seat and no surprise they appear in the GT and halo P. cars like the 918 and R.

2. Ladies and LWBs generally do not mix, as you correctly point out!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
LOL, not everyone was in a position to do PTS. silver white and black spyders make up the majority of spyders I believe?

I just want to defend Red Interiors lol and say that taste is just habit.

LOL. I just like GT silver more than Rhodium, which doesn't do much for me.
I love the red interior. Would have ordered it had I stayed with white.

Quick Reply: Two SPYDERS, One Decision, Help me decide.