Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 reasons why a choose a Manual over a PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:39 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a manual purist. IMO it connects you to the car more and makes even commuter drives more engaging. Fatigue after a long day of work disappears. Would I get off the line and shift quicker with a pdk, probably but for me it wouldn't be as much fun. Speaking to the somewhat bizzare side thread that has developed: my wife taught me how to drive manual way back in the day and frankly she's a much smoother shifter than I am, but don't tell her I said that. Having said all that, my next pcar addition is most likely going to be a cayman r which I will hopefully get to the track and I have been seriously considering a pdk. At this point my thinking has evolved from 'no way would I get anything but a 6 speed ' to "if I find the right combo car with everything on my list except it has pdk I might well go that way" . Snicker all you want, but this is a big step for me.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:45 PM
DrVolkl
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I always chose my sports cars to be manuals... just more engaging for me... plus it's a dying skill... fewer and fewer people learning how to drive them.. it's kinda nice to be exclusive, there's a certain satisfaction and awe to being able to perform the art on a regular basis... who doesn't enjoy just going out and executing perfect downshifts as you buzz around your favorite back road? Just an added element of chance that brings your soul closer to the car as you master it. Love it!

I never bought a Nissan GTR because it didn't come in manual... and because of that, I ended up with my first 997 Turbo... so... in short... thanks Nissan! On my 4th Porsche..

I can see myself getting a PDK 991 Targa or something down the road... but it'll be a 2nd car to some other classic 6spd in the garage.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 255 Posts

My spyder was an impulse purchase - decided I wanted a convertible for the summer last year & saw it on line at a dealer in FL the next day. I loved the color combination and options but was a little hesitant due to it being PDK. Took the plunge regardless after a local friend inspected it and have had no regrets at all.... One of the great things that has happened is that my girlfriend loves driving it; she can drive a manual but would never drive any of my manual cars for fear of 'hurting' them.

I read many comments mentioning 'connection' and 'involvement' as a reason for not being interested in PDK - all I can say is that from my experience I feel very involved and connected when paddling the PDK. The speed and nature of the shifts in sport+ mode are quite rewarding - especially when paired with the wonderful noise through my Fabspeed headers and PSE.

There's no right or wrong answer here - just opinion.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

When is Rennlist going to upgrade it's Forum engine so we can add "Likes"? Planet-9 has this and it's great!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I agree many folks try to find offense with almost anything. If you want censorship, go to Planet-9 and see how you like it. And also check how many women post (maybe one or two every blue moon).
Dont use the "A" word over there, especially in response to someone suggesting vigilante justice against anyone that won't drive as fast his them...You might just get called out, publicly, for it.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM
996sweden72
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman R owner here... And the car is a manual... For several reasons..

I know that the PDk are faster, smoother ect ect, but it (as many has pointed out) removes something for the whole driving experience... Now I will not be drivng it in a congested city or around town, nope, it will be stretching its leggs on the circuit and on the back roads, and since I do know how to operate a manual, I much prefer the driving experience/engagement that this option provides, makes me feel soooo much more a part of the car.

Finally, the R 987 is one of the last normally aspirated engines, and therefore I think that he manual in combination with that fact, will make it much more "old school" and hold its value much better that its PDK brothers..

just my 2 cents.. we will see in 5 years time

My cars

AUDI R8 V8 rtronic
987 Cayman R
ML 350 AMG
VW VR6 superlegera 8 hrs race car

Previous, to mention a few
Porsche 944, 2xBoxster S 986, 996 C2, Boxster 987 S, 997 S.
Ferrari 458
XKR 2010
BMW M5 E34 , M3 E46
and a whole bunch of other cars....

Last edited by 996sweden72; 04-02-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by 996sweden72
Cayman R owner here... And the car is a manual... For several reasons..

I know that the PDk are faster, smoother ect ect, but it (as many has pointed out) removes something for the whole driving experience... Now I will not be drivng it in a congested city or around town, nope, it will be stretching its leggs on the circuit and on the back roads, and since I do know how to operate a manual, I much prefer the experience with it have just that option, make me feel much more a part of the car.

Finally the R 987 is one of the last normally aspirated engines, and therefore I think that he manual in combination with that fact, will make it much more "old school" and hold its value much better that its PDK brothers..

just my 2 cents.. we will see in 5 years time

My cars

AUDI R8 V8 rtronic
987 Cayman R
ML 350 AMG

Ferrari 458
XKR 2010
BMW M5 E34 , M3 E46
Congrats! The CR / Spyders in the MT are the last of it's gen and such a pure sports car. I just sold my Spyder for a better DD but have to started to snoop around at CRs. What colour is yours? No pics = fake post!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:31 PM
996sweden72
Track Day

"Congrats! The CR / Spyders in the MT are the last of it's gen and such a pure sports car. I just sold my Spyder for a better DD but have to started to snoop around at CRs. What colour is yours? No pics = fake post! "

Hehe, yep trolling here..

Sealgray..

Sorry to hear that you had to let the Spyder go..

Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I love Seal Grey, they discontinued that color with the 986/996. Is it a PTS?

Love the lighter colored stripe on the grey too, it looks fantastic.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM
996sweden72
Track Day

I do not think it is a PTS.. and I might be mistaken, my 996 was seal gray, I think this R is Metor Gray Metalic... looks seal gray..
PS. would have chosen black too.. looks great..

My cars
AUDI R8 V8 rtronic
987 Cayman R
ML 350 AMG

Ferrari 458
XKR 2010
BMW M5 E34 , M3 E46

Quick Reply: 3 reasons why a choose a Manual over a PDK