Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche camaraderie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I hear Vancouver is the exotic car capital of North America with many driven by kids that are just barely legal to drive. Gotta wonder what having so much at such a young age does to someone. This NYT article from last year touches upon the subject:

"Chinese Scions' Song: My Daddy's Rich and My Lamborghini's Good-Looking"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/w...nt-wealth.html
They drive supercars with learners' permits. In BC, one has to display a L for Learner or N for Novice on the back of the car, so it is easy to identify. Chinese spend a disproportionate amount of money on material goods, but it is in their culture. It does make them entitled that's for sure.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM
BikerBoy33
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a new owner I've actually been pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to get nods, waves or acknowledgement from other Porsche drivers but almost every non-SUV that drives by gives me something. Granted there aren't many in my area so we're usually pretty easy to spot. I was previously a driver of a Subaru STi and it was unheard of to not wave to another STi driver. But as time went on and several different generations were on the road at the same time it became less and less prevalent. It's a cool community feeling when everyone is engaged but as others have mentioned when you happen to be in the same location in person, either on purpose or coincidence, having an actual conversation with someone is a more genuine measure of camaraderie to me.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

I hear Vancouver is the exotic car capital of North America with many driven by kids that are just barely legal to drive. Gotta wonder what having so much at such a young age does to someone. This NYT article from last year touches upon the subject:

"Chinese Scions' Song: My Daddy's Rich and My Lamborghini's Good-Looking"

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/w...nt-wealth.html
Excellent read Nick and 100% true. I recognize the local Lamborghini showroom just down the block from my office.

My Spyder and C2S often gather nary a nod in the city. They're not status cars. And what's interesting too is that in the local PCA club some of the younger Asian-descent members prefer short drives (20 mins?) and more stops to have a cigarette and talk cars. It's quite a different culture than guys like myself and other members that really love to go on 10 hour rips through the local mountains. But each to there own, right?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Excellent read Nick and 100% true. I recognize the local Lamborghini showroom just down the block from my office.

My Spyder and C2S often gather nary a nod in the city. They're not status cars. And what's interesting too is that in the local PCA club some of the younger Asian-descent members prefer short drives (20 mins?) and more stops to have a cigarette and talk cars. It's quite a different culture than guys like myself and other members that really love to go on 10 hour rips through the local mountains. But each to there own, right?
I am pretty surprised that the Asian members would even know of PCA. I think they buy cars as status symbols, instead of the driving experience.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd be hesitant to use too broad a brush to paint an entire culture as non-enthusiasts. Some of my Asian buddies are the most die-hard, passionate, and knowledgeable car guys I know.

I'm reminded of a poor bloke on the 718 forum who has described in this thread the trials and tribulations of being a Porsche enthusiast in his neck of the woods:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...on-advise.html

He demonstrates a level of passion I'm not sure I could muster if I had the hurdles to overcome that he does. Not one dealer in his country. Asian taxes put the cost of his 718 Cayman at over $200K USD. He would have considered buying a used Cayman but there are only two in his country and used cars over 1.6 L can't be imported apparently. Was going to order a car, but with the tax structure changing annually, the longer he waited the greater the chance he would have to pay a ton more. Ultimately found a new Cayman in London he could ship in, albiet not his first-choice color. Couldn't have it wrapped in his own country upon receipt because there is no one in his country that does wraps. Had to find someone in London to wrap it before it was shipped to him. As he said:

"You have no idea what we have to go through to fulfil our passions. Every part even if it’s a oil filter I have to import from Dubai or London myself. If anything goes wrong I have to wait to import the part and then fix it. All these after paying 220k for a Cayman. Still nothing can stop us from fulfilling our dreams."
Old 05-15-2018, 07:58 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be hesitant to use too broad a brush to paint an entire culture as non-enthusiasts. Some of my Asian buddies are the most die-hard, passionate, and knowledgeable car guys I know.
Thanks for posting this. There is no basis for such generalizations for an entire culture.
Our region of the PCA is truly composed of people from all genders, cultures, and walks of life.... and we're a better group for it.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
I am pretty surprised that the Asian members would even know of PCA. I think they buy cars as status symbols, instead of the driving experience.
Yowza! If I knew of an emoji that was just shaking its head in disbelief I would post it here.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Andial
Banned

I was referring to the Chinese immigrants, not those of Asian descent. They still hold Chinese passports, that of a Communist country. Those in CA are Asian Americans and are not who Zeus993 and I are referring to.
There is a reason why African Americans can say the N word, but the rest of us can't.
Whoopsy, unotaz, mooty, Sam Li, Carter Yeung, Sean Fu, Jeffery Cheng, David Lee, Mike Yin, Jacky Mao and Dan are just a few of many Asian petrolheads.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:02 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
I was referring to the Chinese immigrants, not those of Asian descent. They still hold Chinese passports, that of a Communist country. Those in CA are Asian Americans and are not who Zeus993 and I are referring to.
There is a reason why African Americans can say the N word, but the rest of us can't.
Whoopsy, unotaz, mooty, Sam Li, Carter Yeung, Sean Fu, Jeffery Cheng, David Lee, Mike Yin, Jacky Mao and Dan are just a few of many Asian petrolheads.
I'm not sure that helps at all.

Can only repeat the sage words of SpyderSenseOC:
Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Yowza! If I knew of an emoji that was just shaking its head in disbelief I would post it here.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

I think we've gotten a little off topic here. After all, where's the "Porsche Camaraderie?"
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Yes. Let's keep it contained as people that dig Porsches, regardless of race, religion, location, annual income etc... Remember: it's not just the cars it's the people.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Out running errands last weekend and I cross ways with a silver 997 911 Cabriolet. I wave and he looks at me and rolls his eyes and shakes his head as we pass. No wave back. LOL. No respect for the GT4. Oh well.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

Love this thread, I’ve done my fair share of flashes and waves...and equally experienced the mixed results in reciprocity. I will say this, in both my 997.2 TTS and GT3 now, many P-car owners reciprocates back in some way (well the GT3 is orange!!). That said, I must confess that I’ve NEVER flashed nor waved at a Cayenne, Panamera or Macan, just the 2-door Porsches. Maybe the reason many Cayenne, Macan and Panamera owners don’t reciprocate is because they aren’t shown enough love! LOL. (disclosure; I don’t flash them as there are just too many of them on the road in NY/NJ not out of some GT car snobbery).
Old 05-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I think in terms of solutions... Porsche needs to put a different icon on the high beam stalk. The thumbs up and Like written underneath it. Suddenly that practice will come back.

Granted, the other card may get flashed too.... but hey, share the love I say.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 AM
DHC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I noticed is that when I had my 89 944S2 I got more nods then I do with my 987.2 Boxster. I also got a lot of thumbs up from non-Porsche drivers when I had my S2 then my Boxster. Guess the Boxster comes off of less of an “enthusiast” car then a restored S2... Either way I always give other P-Car owners a nod or wave, some return and some don’t. I find the guys that do, if we ever happen to pass in a parking lot we often strike up a conversation about our cars and common passion for all things Porsche.

Quick Reply: Porsche camaraderie?