New owner. Need colour combination advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 AM
pollok
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner. Need colour combination advise

Hello guys,

So glad to have finally bought the 718 Cayman. Been in love with it since it came out and finally got the chance to buy one. I still didn't get delivery but hoping to get it by the first week of June. Tax in Asia is crazy and the car would end up costing more than 200,000 US dollars. I know its not value for money at all but not planning to change countries in this life so just have to accept the prices and balance the hobby.

Now just to share my confusion. I always always wanted the Miami Blue Cayman. I love the colour and I feel it suits me the most. However, I wanted to place an order in London and they told me the factory will be closed for 6 months. So earliest delivery will be December which is too long. I've found a ready stock car which has all the options I want but the exterior colour is Agate Grey and the interior is Bordeoux Red. They said they can wrap the car in Miami Blue and will be almost as good as the stock paint. Now the confusion is the combination of the Miami blue and the full red interior. Would've been fine with a red/black combination interior but I'm thinking if it will be a bit too much with the full red. Can't do anything about the interior and really don't want to sacrifice on the Miami blue either. Also any advise on wrapping the car will be appreciated.

Pls help.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car in a color I don't want, especially at the premium you will be paying with taxes. And I agree that the Miami blue won't look good with Bordeaux interior. Why not either wait or buy the car as is and sell it when you move and order what you really want or look for a preowned Miami blue? Those would seem to be better options rather than an overpriced, mismatched wrapped car.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 AM
pollok
Track Day

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I wouldn't buy a car in a color I don't want, especially at the premium you will be paying with taxes. And I agree that the Miami blue won't look good with Bordeaux interior. Why not either wait or buy the car as is and sell it when you move and order what you really want or look for a preowned Miami blue? Those would seem to be better options rather than an overpriced, mismatched wrapped car.
Problem is we can't import any used vehicle and theres only 2 other Cayman in the whole country so basically no chance of buying used. As for waiting, I'd have to wait till January next year which is too long. So basically I'm stuck with this interior and now just wondering what to do with the exterior. As I said I'm crazy about the Miami blue but since I'm stuck with the full red interior I'm very confused whether to do the Miami blue wrap or not.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:48 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pollok
Problem is we can't import any used vehicle and theres only 2 other Cayman in the whole country so basically no chance of buying used. As for waiting, I'd have to wait till January next year which is too long. So basically I'm stuck with this interior and now just wondering what to do with the exterior. As I said I'm crazy about the Miami blue but since I'm stuck with the full red interior I'm very confused whether to do the Miami blue wrap or not.
If you have to ask, that tells me you are definitely not comfortable with a Miami Blue/Bordeaux combination. I would agree. Those colors would clash.

I would never spend the kind of money you're talking about and then spend even more money getting it wrapped. I'm not sure why waiting until January is too long for you (other than you just want it now) but that's what I would do, based on the options you presented. BTW, I happen to like the Agate/Bordeaux combination.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:51 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Bite the bullet, wait until January and get the car exactly as you want it. I know it seems like it's far off, but consider we're already in ARPIL -- where in the hell have these past four months gone?? January will be here in the blink of an eye. I don't think you will ever regret waiting and the anticipation leading up to delivery will be off the charts. Delayed gratification will only make the car that much more special to you. I wouldn't compromise.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 AM
pollok
Track Day

I hear you bro but January would seem like an eternity to me. Also the agate grey and Bordeaux combination seems really fine. What I'm planning is to wrap the car in Miami Blue and then if it doesn't go at all I'll just take off the wrap and use the Agate grey. Not a wise financial decision but after spending 200k plus might as well spend another 3k and have it wrapped. Worse case will just take it off if it doesn't suit my taste.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Agate and Bordeaux IS a great combo - no doubt about it - but Miami is what you lust after. Miami is your dream color! I can tell you right now and save you the time and trouble of the wrap:

Miami/Bourdeaux is not going to look great. It won't. In fact, I'm just going to say it because you deserve to hear the unvarnished truth: It will look Godawful.

I'm the most impatient guy there is so I can relate to your desire to get the Agate car, I really can. And you're obviously a huge enthusiast to be spending this kind of coin which makes a January delivery date even tougher to swallow. You want to be behind the wheel NOW - not 9 months from now. Again, I totally get that.

But is it worth a nine month wait to have the car of your dreams spec'd exactly as you want it in Miami, your #1 color?

Does it make sense to scratch the itch now for a few months of additional seat time only to have to live with the car for years and years knowing that it is not exactly how you want it?

Is it better to marry the girl you took to prom just so you can satisfy your physical needs immediately with forgetable sex, or wait a few months, marry the prom queen and have a whole lifetime of mind blowing sex?

Only you can answer these questions for yourself. You know where I come down and I think others here, like me, just don't want to see you compromise because we think you might regret it down the road. Every time you see a Miami car on the road, in a mag, on T.V. -- wherever -- you're gonna feel a dull ache. It will be a constant reminder of what could have been.

As great as Agate/Bordeaux is, it doesn't tickle your pickle like Miami. At these insane prices it should and MUST tickle your pickle (and then some!).

These cars are like women (or men). They pull at our heart strings like nothing else. They jumble our thinking. They cloud our sanity. They have us considering options we would never entertain if we weren't in the throes of delirium. We're trying to talk you down off a ledge, from making a choice which right now may make some kind of perverse sense in the state you're in, but which in a short time from now may leave you scratching you're head mumbling, "What the hell was I thinking? If only I had waited 9 more months . . . "

All I know is this: I have never come to later regret holding out for exactly what I wanted -- whether it be a house, a car, a woman, a motorcycle, a watch, you name it -- irrespective of how much more money it cost, time it took, blood was shed, hearts were broken, effort was invested, etc. NEVER. NOT ONCE. EVER.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

I’ll add my 2 cents to the conversation......if Miami Blue is the color you want.....order it and wait until January.....a wrap won’t be the same...ever! Plus it won’t work with Bordeaux interior....so....if it were me.....I would wait.....and I hate waiting!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 03:03 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

I hear you bro but January would seem like an eternity to me. Also the agate grey and Bordeaux combination seems really fine. What I'm planning is to wrap the car in Miami Blue and then if it doesn't go at all I'll just take off the wrap and use the Agate grey. Not a wise financial decision but after spending 200k plus might as well spend another 3k and have it wrapped. Worse case will just take it off if it doesn't suit my taste.
It appears money isn’t the issue and you have already made up your mind but just want someone to agree with your logic, so I say... go for it!! What’s the worst thing that can happen? You get it wrapped, you don’t like it, you unwrap it and either live with it or sell it. It’s just money, right?😀
Old 04-07-2018, 04:08 PM
pollok
Track Day

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Agate and Bordeaux IS a great combo - no doubt about it - but Miami is what you lust after. Miami is your dream color! I can tell you right now and save you the time and trouble of the wrap:

Miami/Bourdeaux is not going to look great. It won't. In fact, I'm just going to say it because you deserve to hear the unvarnished truth: It will look Godawful.

I'm the most impatient guy there is so I can relate to your desire to get the Agate car, I really can. And you're obviously a huge enthusiast to be spending this kind of coin which makes a January delivery date even tougher to swallow. You want to be behind the wheel NOW - not 9 months from now. Again, I totally get that.

But is it worth a nine month wait to have the car of your dreams spec'd exactly as you want it in Miami, your #1 color?

Does it make sense to scratch the itch now for a few months of additional seat time only to have to live with the car for years and years knowing that it is not exactly how you want it?

Is it better to marry the girl you took to prom just so you can satisfy your physical needs immediately with forgetable sex, or wait a few months, marry the prom queen and have a whole lifetime of mind blowing sex?

Only you can answer these questions for yourself. You know where I come down and I think others here, like me, just don't want to see you compromise because we think you might regret it down the road. Every time you see a Miami car on the road, in a mag, on T.V. -- wherever -- you're gonna feel a dull ache. It will be a constant reminder of what could have been.

As great as Agate/Bordeaux is, it doesn't tickle your pickle like Miami. At these insane prices it should and MUST tickle your pickle (and then some!).

These cars are like women (or men). They pull at our heart strings like nothing else. They jumble our thinking. They cloud our sanity. They have us considering options we would never entertain if we weren't in the throes of delirium. We're trying to talk you down off a ledge, from making a choice which right now may make some kind of perverse sense in the state you're in, but which in a short time from now may leave you scratching you're head mumbling, "What the hell was I thinking? If only I had waited 9 more months . . . "

All I know is this: I have never come to later regret holding out for exactly what I wanted -- whether it be a house, a car, a woman, a motorcycle, a watch, you name it -- irrespective of how much more money it cost, time it took, blood was shed, hearts were broken, effort was invested, etc. NEVER. NOT ONCE. EVER.
Man you're explanation is inspirational. Haha. I really like how you have detailed everything and I completely get your point. However, things change very fast in this neck of the wood. Our tax structure changes almost every year and I don't wanna pay another extra 50k for any tax adjustments the govt makes. Even here we had a rule where we couldn't import any car over 1.6 litres. The whole car scenario became a massive Mazda RX8 fest at that time. I really do get your point though but trust me I have limitations apart from the temptation of getting the car straight away.

I'm seriously now starting to think of not wrapping it in Miami Blue as everyone here is saying it'll look bad. Any opinion on the official Crayon colour or the Nardo grey that Audi uses ? There's no Porsche dealer here and no decent paint booth therefore I wanna wrap the car and bring it so that when time comes for a repaint I can just take the wrap off and get a new colour. Don't wanna use cheap paint on a Porsche
Old 04-07-2018, 04:12 PM
pollok
Track Day

Originally Posted by lajoiedp

It appears money isn’t the issue and you have already made up your mind but just want someone to agree with your logic, so I say... go for it!! What’s the worst thing that can happen? You get it wrapped, you don’t like it, you unwrap it and either live with it or sell it. It’s just money, right?😀
Haha. Na bro after seeing everyones comment I'm actually starting to think of a diff colour. Trust me waiting isn't an option as I explained on the above post. Really needed everyones opinion and it seems like no one likes the combination.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 138 Posts

Crayon would be a nice color to wrap it.....if I were ever to wrap mine....it would be chaulk / crayon (chaulk is what we call it in the North American market)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 AM
pollok
Track Day

Any idea what this colour is and whether it will look good in a 718.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Any idea what this colour is and whether it will look good in a 718.
Looks like Graphite Blue, and yes.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 283 Posts

I have to agree with the others in thinking that Miami Blue and Bourdeau Red might not make the best combination. The Porsche Configerator might give you a better idea of what they would look like together. You are going to spend a lot of money to buy a car that fulfills your dreams don’t short change yourself. Get what you want and not something you will regret. Life is too short to have regrets. There has to be another dealer that has what you are looking for. Best of luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: New owner. Need colour combination advise