Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 steering adjustment broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 08:08 PM
jpetro1010
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The liquid wrench and hammer trick did it for me! Didn't even have to remove the lower dash! Thanks fellas!
Old 01-07-2023, 07:55 PM
bmwcousins
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

MASSIVE shout out to the contributors of this thread. Telescoping failed to lock, after researching finding this thread I used a bit of WD40 and a delicate tap with a hammer and extension and voila!!!! She locks into place now.

Great community, thanks again.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:48 PM
Henderjb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This exact thing happened on my 2005 boxster. WD 40 did the trick!! was not locking up/down or telescope when I bought it used in 2023. But WD40 and about a minute of manipulation the steering wheel and lock lever got it to click in place. in post above is a shot of the "black bit" between the 2 springs. one spring is squished and the other is loose. they need to even out. once that black bit got to the middle, my telescoping lock worked. Thanks soooo much for posting and pictures
Old 12-24-2023, 07:47 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 85 Posts

Semi-zombie thread but I just wanted to resurrect it to say thanks to all of the contributors for breaking this down. My tilt was locking but telescope was not on my 997.2 - same part I believe.

I used more BF screwdriver and careful flooding of penetrating oil all along the length of the shaft instead of a hammer, but it worked and saved me from big $$$ repairs and/or minor surgery removing the lower dash panels.

Love Rennlist DIY tips!
Old 05-25-2024, 06:20 PM
Manzione
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump!

Repeating the same as the fellows above, as this thread should never die. The same here, and with the tips, I was also able to move the shaft. To make things more easier, let me add some thoughts on the repair:

The conical shaft close to the spring is pointing to the pedals. This means that the coil is closer to the steering wheel (and the cover). From the pictures it may look that the part is made of plastic, but no, it is hard metal. This is key to understand how the gentle hammer will work.

First of all: lube it or put penetrating oil. This will help to complete the following step.

In my case I just inserted the tip of a screwdriver at the base of the coil, also pointing to the pedals, just at the base of the conical shaft (between the end of the coil and the conical part). With the lock open, gently bump the hammer onto the screwdriver. You will see that the conical part will start moving, to the direction of the pedals as well. With the penetrating oil it will release and then it will move freely again.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: 987 steering adjustment broken