Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on MT Vs. PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Thanks all! I have been driving my Macan GTS more aggressively, using the PDK in manual, and there is some enjoyment to it. I do find under hard acceleration that the up shifts are slower than the down shifts. Anyone else experience that?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I've been driving MT Porsches my whole life. In 2013 I bought my first PDK Porsche.
Here are my impressions:

Technologically it's a remarkable transmission. It is blisteringly fast, there's no way you can get so quickly or effortlessly to the optimum rev range with an MT. It to a degree makes acceleration feels more instantious. This was even more profound in the 991 GT3 with the Sport version of PDK, as it almost changes the nature of that car. What should be a peaky high revving flat 6 almost behaves like a V12 as the delivery of power feels continuous, almost linear.

On a track, I would much prefer a PDK. Not because it's faster but because it's foolproof. The worry of selecting the wrong gear is completely eliminated which allows the driver to focus on the many other elements of "racing"

With that said, I love the MT on my Spyder, although the gearing could be shorter. It is quick, precise and the rev matching allows even the most hamfooted heal and toer to corner down shift like a pro.

On the street, the MT connects you to the car in a way the PDK can't It engages you and for me, truly reveals the power curve of that glories flat 6. You're more cognizant of every peak and dip. Let's just say the character of the car feels a little less muted when you row your own. And what delightful rowing it is mated to a high revving flat 6

MT will never be faster than PDK, not even in the hands of a pro, but I don't get paid to be a /10ths of a second faster than the other guy. In a world where technology is altering the human experience more an more, the beautiful simplicity of a 6 speed mated to a high revving engine is a wonderful place to escape to.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 PM
whatevva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the "Manual Only" class!

Maybe it's my age, but I don't believe a sports car should have anything but a 6 speed stick.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

[QUOTE=jennifer911;13681857]Yeah Zeus, big deal, my first car was an elderly 1967 MGB. These cars came with no first gear synchro.

Ah men, (even though every second person seems to be a one) evolution sucks at improving them and appears to be stuck at the stone age, producing the same cave-man over and over again. I often think “if we can put a man on the moon, why can’t we put them all there”.

Misandrist?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The primary purpose for purchasing a sports car is the fun factor. Driving a PDK car is not fun for me, but apparently many others feel differently. Moreover, the guys who work at car magazines and test different models on almost a daily basis will often praise a particular model, but will express regret that it's not offered with a MT. So there are still some of us left who prefer MTs. Finally, it's ridiculous and immature behavior on the part of those who attribute masculine traits to one's transmission choice. I love MTs but it's certainly not because it makes me feel more masculine.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

My biggest gripe about PDK is price. PDK is either $3,200 or $3,950 on the 987/981/718. I much rather have the MT and the money in my pocket. A couple of ticks quicker in acceleration or shift time is not worth the few thousands for me. I don't feel MT to be inadequate. So to me, getting PDK seems wasteful.

MT is being phased out, get it while you can. IMO the end is near. PDK eventually will be standard and the only option.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I do find under hard acceleration that the up shifts are slower than the down shifts. Anyone else experience that?
Before anything else, only one Macan model comes with PDK, and it's NOT the top dog. So even if you do have a PDK, it makes me think it's not going to be nearly as quick as it is on sports cars. Having said that, are you using at least sport mode? That makes a big difference.

Anyway, on my GTS (and on EVERY other PDK/DCT car), shifts are going to be laggy before tranny is at full operating temperature. Once there, it shifts instantly up or down in sport mode. Are you using sport mode? There's not even need for sport+, as it doesn't feel any quicker; just harsher, therefore unnecessary, unless I need the extra leeway with the nannies. Finally, most people assume PDK owners use it in auto mode. I NEVER use auto mode, so it's like a manual, just without the clutch pedal. And as mentioned above, never have to worry about a botched shift, grinded gears, or burned clutch. I've always been a manual guy all my life, but cruising at the ton on a manual screaming at 4K rpm is no longer acceptable (like on a manual Cayman, M3, GTR, etc), or my wife wouldn't ride with me anymore due to the noise. With PDK, it's less than 3K rpm, and much quieter (remember at 4K rpm the 'symposer' opens up, and it gets awfully loud inside a GTS). Plus now everybody in my household can drive the car, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought both due to that and driving it, so very happy about my choice. If Porsche had offered the 7-sp manual on the Cayman (or even a revised 6-sp with taller top gear), would have bought it manual. But glad I ended up with PDK. Those in my shoes should try it before dismissing it.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I've driven PDK and it is faster than a human, I'm sure, but it still doesn't feel like a properly timed and executed heel toe shift going into a turn.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM
woodbine
AutoX

Manual here too.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I drove my 6MT Cayman through some twisty roads on the way to work this morning, blipping the throttle for 3->2 downshifts into 90 degree corners, I thought of how grateful I am to have such a great car before everything becomes pushbutton.

Cup holders where the shifter used to me. Videos with ads on the center display, instead of a direct connection to the car. Left leg falling asleep with no job to do.

Call me a 49 year old curmudgeon. PDK? Bah, humbug. Only if I become an amputee.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:08 PM
pulpz
Intermediate

MT here as well....frantically bought a new 2016 981 GTS a few weeks ago assuming it was my last chance to buy NA Flat 6 with MT.

Would always choose the MT for purpose built sports car. Wouldn't have it as a daily driver so no need for an auto. I would opt for DCT in sport sedan as a daily driver - I totally get how brilliant these are now.

What I don't understand is why would you want to drive the PDK in manual mode considering how well tuned and fast it is? What's the benefit?

I also don't understand this statement --> "I'm quite happy with PDK, especially since the current manual in 981s is not the best"
My experience is that the 981 6spd feels crisp and exact in its engagement. One of the best 6spds I've driven. Although its my first Porsche so I don't have a basis for comparison to other Porsche MT transmissions.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't understand is why would you want to drive the PDK in manual mode considering how well tuned and fast it is? What's the benefit?

Because you choose the shift points just like a MT. As for the rest, I feel ya MT is a great choice. There were guys with horses and carriages taking a pass on those newfangled, horse scaring, motorcars. The Chinese have seen the fork and concluded two sticks is better, hey whatever you like no bad choice.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual for me, too. It is a good thing for my bank account that so many otherwise great looking new cars only come with an automatic transmission.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a manual guy. I've driven PDK, and I love it. It's the best auto transmission out there, but I like manual better, most of the driving-time.

Now, the 981 doesn't have the best MT I've driven, but it is very good. If you're annoyed by a MT in traffic, though, and live with traffic, consider a PDK. I am personally not annoyed by MT in traffic, but the 981 clutch is so-so, particularly with the springiness of the pedal near the top of travel.... and especially when compared to my Honda's clutch, which is basically the slickest, easiest, most communicative clutch and shift action I've ever driven.

When not in traffic, the faults of the 981 MT are unimportant, and it's an amazing car and transmission. When PDK is the only option some day, probably in the electric-car future, I'll go PDK and not lament it, but for now, something more interesting to me exists.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 AM
CFIMarco
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be a MT guy, I hated any car without a MT, especially Porsche's with tiptronic.
Then I read a lot about the PDK and it was picking my attention, being a fast and apparently reliable dual clutch, not an old and slow automatic, however at the beginning the switches placed on the steering wheel didn't make any sense to me and I didn't consider it.
Then finally Porsche placed the paddles behind the wheel and I bought my 981S equipped with PDK, I have no regrets. I still enjoy the MT when driving other cars but when I'll buy another Porsche it will be with PDK. (Plus sport chrono:-)

Quick Reply: Update on MT Vs. PDK?