Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A brief paean to the non-Spyder Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A brief paean to the non-Spyder Boxster S

A brief paean to the non-Spyder Boxster S, which applies equally to the non-S or even Spyder version...

I've not driven my Boxster for a couple of weeks due to a back injury and gawd-awful weather here in the too-sunny Southeastern United States of America. Today the wifey wanted to drive my BMW, so I took the Boxster to work.

Just merging onto the highway, a light toe into the throttle brought forth the wondrous sounds of the flat six. My poor little car, purchased used, does not have the PSE but yet still sounds wonderful, worlds better dare I add, than the 997 and 991 that preceded it.

The direct shifter and that wonderful clutch combined into a harmonious marriage that allowed perfectly smooth upshifts, and with the ideally placed pedals permitted flawless rev-matched downshifts. Who needs sport chrono? Bah.

For me, this is not a daily driver. It's too small, too loud, too uncomfortable for my daily commute and running of errands, trips to the gym and grocery although with both a trunk and a frunk I've never been short of storage space. I like a bigger car in the bumper-to-bumper traffic of full size pickup trucks, SUVs piloted by distracted parents and cheap little Korean kars driven by clueless drones who consider a car to be nothing more than an appliance.

But all of those admittedly small shortcomings fade away when a sweeping turn fills the windshield and that wonderful connection between the driver and a car are fully realized as only a Porsche can do. And none more so than the Boxster.

I can't wait until the workday ends, and I get to do it all over again.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Driving a roadster, any roadster, top down is a therapy session! After a hard day at work, driving in an open-top (or, riding a motorcycle) is a welcome refreshment. If the roadster in question adds some drama of visceral experience, it gets better! Have more of those....!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Well said, MJ. A "base" Boxster is still head and shoulders above other comparable offerings from other manufacturers in the handling department, a point sometimes overlooked on RL where we often tend to focus on the top-end versions of various P-cars. The fun-per-dollar quotient on an "entry level" (can it really even be called that?) Boxster is off the charts. Continue to savor those moments you expressed so well
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Driving a roadster, any roadster, top down is a therapy session! After a hard day at work, driving in an open-top (or, riding a motorcycle) is a welcome refreshment. If the roadster in question adds some drama of visceral experience, it gets better! Have more of those....!
No question. Love my S and for me, as good as the Spyder is, I really didn't need the extra power and honestly, I think there's a purity to the clean styling of the S that is just a bit overdone in the Spyder. Of course, that's very subjective. And maybe I'm just rationalizing. As for the motorcycle, I get my therapy riding my Cannondale road bike!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 618 Posts

I have the PSE (standard in GTS), but I turn it off in regular neighborhoods. It's too loud and obnoxious for my tastes.
I am, however, smitten with the 18 ways (also standard on GTS) and find the ride very comfortable, even with the sport suspension.
My "regular" DD is a MB S550 - it's a little like piloting a massage chair. But it is easier to get in and out of. I'll be getting something else before the warranty is up. No plans to sell the Boxster.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:54 PM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread! My philosophy, why waste time driving something that isn't fun. And nothing on four wheels satisfies like a Boxster. I currently run a 986.1 and a 987.2 Spyder. Either one will do. On track, or as a DD either one is way more comfortable than my Ducati.

Quick Reply: A brief paean to the non-Spyder Boxster S