Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P987 Boxster clutch job essentials

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:23 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P987 Boxster clutch job essentials

A technician has advised me that I need to have a clutch job on my 05 base with 94k miles. There is a shudder at low rpm which may be hot spots on the pressure plate. He concluded it is not oil on the plate. So I need to ask what parts need to be replaced to make it a sensible investment. There are no IMS or RMS symptoms whatsoever, the engine was replaced at Porsche. What is in a "clutch kit"? Where is the smartest place to get a plate, what should I ask for specifically?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Alright, 80 views and no response so rewording the question. Given the symptoms, should I replace the pressure plate, clutch plate, and flywheel or can I skip the flywheel? Cost is a factor so I want avoid unneeded expense but not do anything dumb.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

There is a specific test that can be done to see if the flywheel is shot, I believe it should not be able to move more than +/- 15 degrees from rest position.

Do you know if the car ever had the clutch replaced? I've read the flywheel should be changed after every second clutch replacement. It can't be resurfaced according to Porsche.

I'd change the flywheel and the all the clutch parts if it were my car since the labor is the big nut.

Good luck,

Rob
Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Thanks Rob, this is helpful. Do not know about a prior clutch job, I would think it likely with 94K miles and not feeling like it is worn at all now. Your point about the labor is good, still a flywheel adds that much more. I was surprised my local Porsche dealer was willing to use my new purchased parts as opposed to theirs. When I asked why, they said they realize customers are more willing to have their service done there. I'm a good example of that. I wonder if other Porsche dealers are doing the same.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:55 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A typical clutch kit contains the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing. As long as your flywheel is good, this should be all you need. Partsgeek.com and Pelicanparts.com are good sources.

Quick Reply: P987 Boxster clutch job essentials