Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2006 Cayman S owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 PM
LynneT
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006 Cayman S owner

2006 Cayman S with 46k miles just purchased.

Have read that you should never crank this car and turn off with engine cold. Had an RX-8 that you could do this or it fouled the plugs and wouldn't start. Is this true for the Cayman?

Have owned several sports car in the past, but all were japanese (MR2s, Supra, 300ZX, RX-8).

Will be taking delivery of car in next couple of weeks and learning about all of the options and their operation from owner's manual. Has full 8-way power seats, memory, PASM (NO Sports/Chrono), BOSE, full leather interior, woodgrain.

If there are any "particulars" as a newbie Porsche owner, please advise.

Advise, things to watch for, etc. are very much appreciated.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LynneT; 06-21-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LynneT
2006 Cayman S with 46k miles just purchased.

Have read that you should never crank this car and turn off with engine cold. Had an RX-8 that you could do this or it fouled the plugs and wouldn't start. Is this true for the Cayman?

Will be taking delivery of car in next couple of weeks and learning about all of the options and their operation from owner's manual.

If there are any "particulars" as a newbie Porsche owner, please advise.

Advise, things to watch for, etc. are very much appreciated.
While it is not good for any car to be started and then shut down immediately, no particular harm will occur to the Cayman if this is done from time to time.
These flat-6 engines will let out a puff of oil smoke upon startup from time to time, and in my experience with all three flat sixes I have owned it is more likely to happen the next time the car is started after it has been run only briefly.
I have also had a "check engine" light appear due to rough running (missing cylinder) after a short start-stop, but it cleared immediately when I revved the engine.

Yes, absolutely read the owner's manual. Amazing to me how many don't, and then come to the forums and ask questions that are well covered in the manual.

As far as things to watch for, I would start with verifying the status of maintenance. If you cannot verify that the 30K and 40K maintenance has been completed, I would go ahead and have that performed. In particular I am thinking of plugs, serpentine belt, oil change, air and cabin filters, and brake flush/bleed.

Last edited by Spokayman; 06-22-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM
David Schacht
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats! You purchased a great little car. I have been driving my 2006 CS for about 5 years as my daily commuter. If I weren't getting a GT4, there is really nothing else that I would compel me to change. Other than basic maintenance, mine has only required a new coolant temp sensor, very reliable cars.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Great car! Welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: New 2006 Cayman S owner