Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Think the PC925 would actually suffice?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Think the PC925 would actually suffice?
I haven't had any issues with mine over the past year. As a data point my Spyder is typically used on weekends and it can sit for a couple of weeks if I'm traveling. I put a trickle charge on it after it's been sitting more than a week to keep the battery topped up.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time to update this post, I'm coming up on the 3 year mark and the Odyssey battery starting giving me trouble about a month ago and this past weekend it died for the third time. It's no longer holding charge for more than 5 days so it's time to replace it.

I was hoping that costs would have come down more by now but it seems car battery technology is a little slow. So I'm contemplating sticking with the Odyssey for the sake of simplicity or if I should give the Braille AGM battery a try which weights 9 lbs less than the Odyssey. Has anyone installed a Braille and is there a way to mount the battery without making changes to the battery tray?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:45 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Time to update this post, I'm coming up on the 3 year mark and the Odyssey battery starting giving me trouble about a month ago and this past weekend it died for the third time. It's no longer holding charge for more than 5 days so it's time to replace it.

I was hoping that costs would have come down more by now but it seems car battery technology is a little slow. So I'm contemplating sticking with the Odyssey for the sake of simplicity or if I should give the Braille AGM battery a try which weights 9 lbs less than the Odyssey. Has anyone installed a Braille and is there a way to mount the battery without making changes to the battery tray?
Wouldn't recommend the Braille. Mine seemed to never quite be able to have performance as claimed, and it died after about 3 years just like your Odyssey. This was far before they were claiming it's useful life would be.
The hassles, weak starts, temperature sensitivity, not to mention dying on expensive track days, (which other track people had to save me on) made me decide to have extra capacity on the next battery.
Felt like getting creative and adapted an aviation Earth-X PC1200 lithium with 1200 PCA and 6.9lb. But they are pricey at $725. The new RS30 Antigravity is similar at $700 but weighs 11.5lb.
I've never had to run a trickle on the Earth-X even after leaving the car for 3 weeks and it starts it better than the original Porsche battery did. Far from the AGM performance of the Braille.
https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx1200
Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the Antigravity battery and have yet to put it on a trickle charger in my Spyder. It's my weekend car for the most part. Rumor has it an upgraded version of the battery is supposed to be on its way?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback.

For the Braille, do you recall which model you used?

EarthX might be an option but the price is a bit steep.

Antigravity could also be an option but again it’s pricey and I’m not sure I can justify spending 3x to save another 14 lbs. Which model Antigravity?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

The braille/ag batteries I was talking about were the braille 2317 and the ag rs30
Old 02-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A432
The braille/ag batteries I was talking about were the braille 2317 and the ag rs30
Excellent, thank you!

I was actually debating the Braille 3121 which is supposedly a drop in replacement for the Odyssey PC925 but with more CCA and capacity and 5 lbs lower weight. It’s about $40 more than the Odyssey.

The AG is still pricey at $700, I guess at this point it comes down to reliability vs cost.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:03 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. The peace of mind in situations like track time/traveling away from home, after losing faith in the AGM's, made it worth it imho.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,040 Likes on 587 Posts

Hi All,

Seems we need to throw our name in the mix...... ANTIGRAVITY BATTERIES! Odyssey 925, and Braille.... more and WAY better options out there by a long shot... even if the ones below don't tickle you fancy....

I wanted to drop some information on our NEWEST Lithium Batteries... yes they are actually ground-breaking.

– We wanted to make the new battery accessible for more Vehicles and Customers. We found many people just wanted the EXACT SIZE that fit in their car. So that is what we did, the new batteries are a DIRECT OEM FIT. Meaning it is the same size as your stock battery, so you will not need a special tray or any other adapters or modifications to mount them. Being this is a GT3 Forum you guys will mostly ever be concerned with the H6/Group48 size battery. So we did that size and also the H5 and H7. Plus we will have Group 35 ,and Group 51 and expand out from there. But the "H" sizes are used in most all the Porsches, and other Euro Sports Cars including BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.... so these will fit them all.

– We have also made the batteries available in different amp hours. The Amp Hours Capacities available for the H6/Group48 model are 24Ah, 30Ah, and 40Ah. By offering different amp hours the Customer can choose a battery that is more tailored to what they are looking for. For example people who track and want the lightest weight possible might want the 24Ah (9.5lbs), a person who wants to have a solid Ah yet still benefit substantially from Lightweight can go with a 30Ah (11.5lbs) and a person who might have some Cameras, Radar Detectors and other stuff on the Car might want a 40Ah Battery (16lbs) TT Guys or SUV guys. Keep in mind if you use a 24Ah battery you will not have as much time that the car can sit in storage compared to a 40Ah model.

– SUPER COOL NEW FEATURE ALERT!!! So one of the ULTRA-COOL items we developed into this latest battery (yep, first in the world) is a WIRELESS KEYFOB REMOTE that is used to operate our RE-START built in Jump-Starting feature. If you are not familiar with our RE-START feature, its basically a built-in jump starting for the battery, so in the event you ever come back to a dead battery you can awaken the battery with the Keyfob and start the car and drive off. So in effect you would never be stranded with a dead battery.

- OK, let me set this up.... wait for it.......... Antigravity raises its arms in Triumph, applause from the smiling Porsche enthusiast crowd, some Unicorns dancing off to the side.... and states...... " WITH THIS KEYFOB, YOU WON"T EVER BE LOCKED OUT OF YOUR FRUNK AGAIN!" crowd goes wild... fade to black. Ok, so maybe not so exciting for some of you, but it is a big deal for some of us. . First day I got my GT3, on a battery swap I locked myself out of the frunk and cursed how stupid it was to have to go to the Fuse Panel and energize the car to open the frunk, so with the new Keyfob just press the button on the Keyfob, the Battery then awakens and energizes your car to be ready for a Start or you can just open the Frunk.

- Weight of the Batteries H6/Group48 Case @24Ah is 9.8 lbs , H6/Group48 Case @30Ah is (11.5lbs) , H6/Group48 Case @40Ah is (16.5.5lbs).

-Availability.... finished production will be at the end of February we expect to be shipping in first week of March. We are initially doing the 24Ah and 40Ah models, the 30Ah Version will not be in until April. I currently have 10 pieces of H6 @24Ah models and 10 pieces of H6 @ 40Ah that we have used to take pictures, and develop Marketing materials, some we will be sent Industry people, but unfortunately that is not enough to openly sell them yet. So early March if not a week before we can start shipping.

-Pricing... The prices will range from $679 for the 24Ah Versions going up to $829.99 for the 40Ah Versions. Feel free to compare that to our competitors... we are over 1/3 to 1/2 less cost with more advanced technology, built in protections that most don't offer, and just a more realistic and reasonable price point. We might offer pre-orders starting in week, but we are trying to get a hard landing date so we can make sure we ship when we say we will.

Some pictures are below... if you have any questions please let me know.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool products! When my Odyssey bites the dust, this will be next.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just finished the B3121 install on the Spyder, you have to put it toward the driver's side for the cables to reach, but it makes it. Saves 28 lbs. over the stocker. AGM batteries aren't very tolerant of deep discharges so we'll try to be careful... Cheers, Donn

Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep us posted on the Braille. Also which mount did you use for it?

On this go round I've decided to go with the Odyssey again. For $180 it's pretty hard to beat and up until a month ago it was reliable and never failed to start. I'll be more careful to keep it on a tender this time, especially during the winter months.

I do like the full sized AG batteries, hopefully the prices come down on them some.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,121 Likes on 552 Posts

Antigravity makes a great battery and Scott knows the lithium technology like no one else. This latest refinement in their technology and packaging takes it to another level that no one else can compete with. I was one of the original testers of the initial batteries and it was a pleasure to work with Scott. Even if for some unknown reason you have any problems, they stand behind their products, and always make it right for the customer. Highly recommended.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Any way to get the anti-gravity batteries in the UK?

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights