Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thoughts on a car with high miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 PM
SomeGuyJeff
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on a car with high miles

All -
new to porsche and looking at a few cars recently. I was looking at the local porsche dealer and found a 2007 cayman with 115k miles. the service records look complete and the previous owner had all service performed at the dealer. new clutch at 95k miles and the last major service about the same time.

I realize 115K miles on any car will require repair and maintenance. So what you save on the initial investment might easily be eaten up on the ongoing service costs. this car drives great, but i was just worried about it becoming a maintenance nightmare. what are the thoughts from those who have owned and driven their cars a lot.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 AM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought an '08 Cayman 2.7 five months ago with 88k miles on it. It had a complete service history and was a one owner vehicle. Although it had many chips in the hood and front fender area, the interior had little wear, indicating a daily long commuter car. It drove as well as my previous Boxsters when they were new, no rattles, clunks or suspension slop.

I changed the serpentine belt, oil/filter, and air filter as well as the spark plugs. I've driven it daily since September of '15 and put 6K miles on it, including several longish trips of 600+ miles each.
It now has 94K on it.

I say if the price is adjusted for the high mileage, go for it. Things can break on low mileage cars too. Super low mileage cars that are 7 or 8 years old seem more problematic to me.
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dennis just about covered it. the price the price the price. i do not see a po dealer letting it go on the cheap but you can try.i cannot help you with making an offer but others here can. post back with more info on the car....eg...options etc
Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CS for sale

i have my 2006 CS for sale in NC, It's listed on Panorama and other places. Hi miles are not a concern except as to price. Get an inspection with leakdown and crankshaft end play. They will give a strong indication as to condition. My son bought one with 145,000 and when the IMSB failed at 148,000 all the internals were in super condition. Absolutely no major wear except some rod bearing clearances but that is to be expected. They were still within specs. Piston/ring blowby was almost 0%. Get an over rev readout for certain!!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM
SomeGuyJeff
AutoX

thanks for the feedback so far..

Here is the car. https://tampa.porschedealer.com/preo...08411/info.php

I can try to upload a few pics. This car looks good from 10 ft... and closer you see more of the issues - though some are expected for a nearly 10 yr old car that has been driven.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:54 PM
SomeGuyJeff
AutoX

Old 03-20-2016, 01:59 PM
SomeGuyJeff
AutoX

I dont think i am going with this particular car - but my post was asking about miles in general. with my old volvo, 300k miles was just about broken in... just worried about being broke down at 120k

For this car, they are asking just under 18k. Considering i found an accident early in its life i think it might be priced just above where it should be. But i will say it drives very nicely. like i said - never owned one and not very familiar with them so i am trying to learn and get as much info as possible.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Just something to keep in mind if you are looking at a 987.1 CS. 987.1 Cayman seem to be very solid as are all the 987.2 gen.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-a...-4-engine.html

Eddie
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeGuyJeff
All -
new to porsche and looking at a few cars recently. I was looking at the local porsche dealer and found a 2007 cayman with 115k miles. the service records look complete and the previous owner had all service performed at the dealer. new clutch at 95k miles and the last major service about the same time.

I realize 115K miles on any car will require repair and maintenance. So what you save on the initial investment might easily be eaten up on the ongoing service costs. this car drives great, but i was just worried about it becoming a maintenance nightmare. what are the thoughts from those who have owned and driven their cars a lot.

thanks in advance.
While you could end up having what savings you realize from buying a higher mileage example eaten up by ongoing service -- or more accurately I think repair -- costs arising from things going wrong, wearing out, you have to consider what you can lose in depreciation if you buy a lower miles example.

My experience from driving 2 Porsches "a lot" (nearly 300K miles on the 2002 Boxster and over 141K on the 2003 Turbo) is mixed.

The Boxster has been a pretty good car that while things have gone wrong, worn out from the usage/miles, they have done so at reasonable miles.

My philosophy is whenever I'm faced with a "big" repair expense with the Boxster is it (at least so far) is cheaper to fix the Boxster than it is to replace it. No way could I buy any used Porsche that I would have as much confidence in as my Boxster for anywhere near what a repair costs. Most expensive repair was the VarioCam solenoid/actuator ($3K). And a new car even something other than a Porsche -- I've toyed off and on with the idea of owning a MINI S or even a MINI S JCW -- is way more money that any repair costs.

The basic car is still in good shape and the engine runs good and uses little oil. The 5-speed transmission shifts just fine and the clutch believe it or not being original still is fine too.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:43 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also had many high mileage Volvos. My "young" and newest Volvo is a 2001 XC70 with 139,000 miles, and seems like it has half that. Most I sold around 250-285K.

As a price point comparison, I just bought a 2006 Cayman S with 22,500 miles for $27,000. I have seen a bunch of nice ones going for ~$21,000 with 65K on the clock.

My 1986 944 has 138,000 and is still awesome. I would have to think a Cayman/Boxster engine is right up there with a Volvo I-5 where 200K is the norm.

Quick Reply: thoughts on a car with high miles