Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
Why is the 981 Spyder not flying off the dealer showroom floors.
Originally Posted by JAM2
My guess is marketing
I just got back from the Porsche Sports Driving School in Birmingham. At dinner I sat next to a person who is very in the know about all things Porsche. He commented that Porsche is doing a marketing commercial in Hawaii next month for the Spyder. He also stated that he did not understand why they are doing this, from his perspective the Spyders are selling very very well.

My two cents...we are seeing a few Spyders showing up unsold, but there are also some GT4s showing up unsold. We also know Porsche coupes sell better than roadsters/soft tops. With only a little over 200 miles on my Spyder, for me it is already a much better car than the 987.2 Spyder.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
I just got back from the Porsche Sports Driving School in Birmingham. At dinner I sat next to a person who is very in the know about all things Porsche. He commented that Porsche is doing a marketing commercial in Hawaii next month for the Spyder. He also stated that he did not understand why they are doing this, from his perspective the Spyders are selling very very well. My two cents...we are seeing a few Spyders showing up unsold, but there are also some GT4s showing up unsold. We also know Porsche coupes sell better than roadsters/soft tops. With only a little over 200 miles on my Spyder, for me it is already a much better car than the 987.2 Spyder.

Bob thanks so much for the info.

Can you comment on the "long" gearing 981 vs 987

Thanks so much
Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by JPMD
Bob thanks so much for the info.

Can you comment on the "long" gearing 981 vs 987

Thanks so much
I had PDK in my 987.2 Spyder so not really an apple to apple comparison.

The GT4 shift points on the Birmingham track seemed okay, though longer than PDK shift points in other cars (including Boxster GTS).

My impression with limited miles on the street is I will be happy with the gearing, the torque on the 981 Spyder makes up for any longer gearing....of course my other current Porsche is a 993 C4S so I am use to longer gearing!

Last edited by il pirata; 11-16-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: correction it was GT4 not Spyder at Birmingham
Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

^^^

Thanks so much for all of the helpful info.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

My impression with limited miles on the street is I will be happy with the gearing, the torque on the 981 Spyder makes up for any longer gearing....!
Bob, does this mean you aren't shifting as much? Since there is so much torque on tap, are you staying in 2nd (or 3rd) for the most part? How do you find on the streets? Sorry, this has been talked about in detail, I know!

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by the_rider
Bob, does this mean you aren't shifting as much? Since there is so much torque on tap, are you staying in 2nd (or 3rd) for the most part? How do you find on the streets? Sorry, this has been talked about in detail, I know!

Thanks.
Again, specific to the 987.2 vs 981 Spyder, it's not apple to apple for me as I had PDK in the 987.2 and manual in the 981.

Right now I am shifting more often as I am keeping the revs below 4200 per the manual.

There are certain reviewers (Panorama as an example) who's reviews usually seem to match my impressions of the car if I get to drive it. If they say the gears are a little long they are. My impression is for my driving, which is preferably in the canyons in the front range of Colorado, the gearing will be fine and the mid-range torque of the engine will help. Mind you, I am not of fan of pushing it too much on the street, if the tires start to make any noise I am going too fast.

Last edited by il pirata; 11-16-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks. Forgot that the car isn't broken-in yet! It is gonna make you shift a lot; not a true indicator of the gearing. I think I got a decent picture of what to expect.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 206 Posts

I just got back from the Porsche Sports Driving School in Birmingham. At dinner I sat next to a person who is very in the know about all things Porsche. He commented that Porsche is doing a marketing commercial in Hawaii next month for the Spyder. He also stated that he did not understand why they are doing this, from his perspective the Spyders are selling very very well.

My two cents...we are seeing a few Spyders showing up unsold, but there are also some GT4s showing up unsold. We also know Porsche coupes sell better than roadsters/soft tops. With only a little over 200 miles on my Spyder, for me it is already a much better car than the 987.2 Spyder.
Thanks for the insight. I went in for service today at my dealership in act, and a beautiful GT Silver with Classic interior was on the showroom floor. The buyer backed out because of personal changes. I have a feeling it may not be there that long.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
Thanks for the insight. I went in for service today at my dealership in act, and a beautiful GT Silver with Classic interior was on the showroom floor. The buyer backed out because of personal changes. I have a feeling it may not be there that long.
Did they sell at MSRP?

Quick Reply: Black Spyder