Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:47 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder Gearing

Having read the Road and Track article I'm wondering if those that have taken delivery can comment? Does the car need to hit high rpm's to fly? Would you have preferred shorter gears? Can this be modified?

I find the need for RPM's and tall gears the biggest shortcoming of my 3.4 991 Carrera, and having considered selling it and picking up a Spyder, would be disappointed if the situation were similar. Then again, the 3.8 coupled with lighter weight should make it a different animal altogether.

Just looking for your thoughts.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 715 Likes on 339 Posts

What is the colour of the car in your avatar?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

I changed the ring and pinion on my '71 914 to lower all the gears a little as I autocrossed it a lot when I first got it back in 1971... it did affect RPM when cruising on the highway but it wasn't a long trip cruiser anyway. Went from a 7/31 to a 6/29 if I remember correctly (it's been a while!).
Wonder if something like that would be an option???
Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by Jamie140
What is the colour of the car in your avatar?
LOL it's good old boring Platinum Silver, plain and simple, but I think the pic I took must have had some filter on it; I didn't realize at the time. My brother had a 996 that was a bronze color and looked just like the pic in the avatar, so I kept the picture and decided to use it on the avatar.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:45 PM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by skl
I changed the ring and pinion on my '71 914 to lower all the gears a little as I autocrossed it a lot when I first got it back in 1971... it did affect RPM when cruising on the highway but it wasn't a long trip cruiser anyway. Went from a 7/31 to a 6/29 if I remember correctly (it's been a while!).
Wonder if something like that would be an option???
Exactly, although I can't imagine messing with the gears on a brand new Spyder! It would be nice if Porsche would offer gearing options. However, I'm really hoping someone will tell me it's a non-issue....
Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it will depend on your driving style and what you expect out of the car... if you like hearing the engine at higher RPMs more often or want to get maximum power/acceleration out of the car often, then you will find it a bit annoying that you can't optimize for your needs.

Speaking from my experience with the GT4, the exhaust note with PSE on and the acceleration at the lower RPMs is fine/better if you compare with a base, S or GTS Boxster. but if you compare with a 7 speed PDK'd 911S, then you may be slightly disappointed, though not by much.

Would the car be more fun on the street if it needed 3 gears to get to 85 instead of 2? for me, absolutely but for now, that does not seem to be an option. In the meantime, you can enjoy the car for what it is.

The one disadvantage the Spyder has over the GT4 is that the power curve runs out sooner than the GT4, likely making the tall gearing of the lower gears a bit more noticeable
Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Spyder's tall gearing is what I am really concerned about. It's gonna be a phenomenal car; but, the damn gearing is gonna mess it up for me! In S2000, you hit the red line as follows: 1st: 38 miles, 2nd: 56, 3rd: 78, 4th: 100 (I think). The result is, incredibly satisfying shift action and the music of engine note. I love to rev anything I drive/ride.

Spyder's gearing is the same deal as other 981 models except base. So, it's not gonna be good. The sad thing is, Porsche believes nothing wrong with that picture! I need to wait till I get to drive it. But, I am preparing myself for a bit of a disappointment! No meaningful solution out there, I am afraid!

Last edited by spyderphile; 10-17-2015 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2015, 01:13 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to hear the real reason for the gearing from porsche. If it is a real performance advantage, I'd like to know more....

Last edited by Schmidts Cat; 10-17-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:09 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_rider
Spyder's tall gearing is what I am really concerned about. It's gonna be a phenomenal car; but, the damn gearing is gonna mess it up for me! In S2000, you hit the red line as follows: 1st: 38 miles, 2nd: 56, 3rd: 78, 4th: 100 (I think). The result is, incredibly satisfying shift action and the music of engine note. I love to rev anything I drive/ride.

Spyder's gearing is the same deal as other 981 models except base. So, it's not gonna be good. The sad thing is, Porsche believes nothing wrong with that picture! I need to wait till I get to drive it. But, I am preparing myself for a bit of a disappointment! No meaningful solution out there, I am afraid!
That's why I'm keeping the S2000 and leasing the Spyder
Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I would love to hear the real reason for the gearing from porshe. If it is a real performance advantage, I'd like to know more....
It's to create a performance advantage for the 911S At the very least, you'd think they'd keep the same engine tune as the GT4 so that the power peak is closer to redline. With the Spyder, there will definitely be a noticeable power dip shifting between 1st and 2nd.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why not just change the diff? Won't make it close ratio but should allow more revs, shifting and perhaps speed?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:16 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
That's why I'm keeping the S2000 and leasing the Spyder
Good call! I will never sell mine either!! :-)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:36 AM
w12jfd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a problem at all unless you want to spend all day bouncing off the rev limiter

In the real world and shifting at 6k rpm there's lots of gear changing to be done in spirited back roads driving.

I certainly haven't found myself bothered - haven't noticed much difference in shifting with my 2eleven in fact.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:34 AM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I would love to hear the real reason for the gearing from porsche. If it is a real performance advantage, I'd like to know more....
My guess is the car is intended for high-speed, sweeping roads and/or tracks. Unfortunately, I live in a light-to-light world, which absolutely sucks for driving, but there's nothing I can do about it. The reality for me is that shorter gearing or torque at lower rpm's becomes more important, as I never quite see those high rpms except in first or maybe second. Funny thing is that where I drive, my Panamera S feels faster than my Carrera, possibly for this reason.

I'm hoping the Boxster Spyder with it's 3.8 and lighter weight will make up that difference. At the very least, it's super cool and a semi-exotic, in my mind, and that may make it all worthwhile regardless.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
Unfortunately, I live in a light-to-light world, which absolutely sucks for driving, but there's nothing I can do about it.
Your answering your own question…the Spyder, or any great sports car, light to light is not a primary design criteria.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder Gearing