Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 PM
kawi825
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Starting this operation now. Going fairly well, I don’t like that the paddles can “rock” a bit in the wheel when pushing the paddle since the back isn’t sitting flush due to the curve of the rear side of the wheel. I’ve ground down the two vertical aluminum ridges in the frame which has helped a bit. Just don’t want these to loosen up in a month from rocking. Anyone seen this happen or are they staying tight? Physically put back together as far as paddles but I see my airbag is nothing like the simple colors described here. Maybe once I take the original triangle wheel off the car it’ll be more clear, but my sport wheel donor airbag has these colors on the harness:
-BLUE WITH GREEN STRIPE
-BROWN WITH BLACK STRIPE
-GREEN WITH BLACK STRIPE
-BROWN WITH GREEN STRIPE
-BROWN
-BLACK.

Last edited by kawi825; 11-11-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:03 AM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I did maybe 10 of these wheels. I never had any rocking paddles. Check your fastening method.

Do not touch any cables that are not the ones described. If your wheel is the multifunction wheel, you need to follow a different set of instructions and solder some resistors in line. You attached a pic of the airbag cables with the yellow and green connectors. Do not touch or modify those. Just undo them and take the airbag out of the way. Ensure the battery is disconnected first.

Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 11-12-2020 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:22 AM
Tman-Wa
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Spawny,
Thanks for the write-up and your continued follow-up support. This is on my list for my '06 CS, which I've only owned for 2mos. I have the multifunction steering wheel. I've been studying the posts and your write-up. I have a couple questions, keeping in mind I haven't opened up the steering or tiptronic switches yet.
1) See below. I Believe A2 is the ground for the tiptronic switch. The rocker switch has the two resistors that you identified for up and down.

The second question is the write-up on the soldering connections. The 270 Ohm resistor goes on the yellow to WH/GN like your drawings shows, correct?

Thanks again. I could never attempt this without the information you and others have put together here.
-Travis

Old 11-12-2020, 02:22 AM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

You don't need to do anything with A2.
270 ohm resistor goes to WH/GN which is cut.

For the Down/- Paddle, we’ll work on the left connector.
1) Clip the Gray/Green wire
2) Solder the blue wire from the down paddle to the 135 ohm resistor and solder that to the gray/green wire
and seal with shrink wrap
3) Strip a small section of the black wire (DO NOT CUT)
4) Solder the black wire from the paddle to the black wire of connector and seal with electrical tape

Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM
kawi825
Pro

Thanks Spawny, think I was getting tired. Airbag wires and terms left alone. I'm sure it'll be more clear once I remove the old wheel tonight from the car. Got things fully mounted on the wheel before bed. Duct seal matches fairly close in color for sealing up the gaps around the paddle on the back of the wheel where it isn't perfectly flat, tested for continuity upon engaging each paddle before screwing things down.
Attached Images   
Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Looks good Matt, the hardest work is behind you. The wiring part is quick and easy.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:42 PM
kawi825
Pro

All back together, hooked up battery, and started her up. had PSM failure and airbag light come on, but PSM light went off after rolling a few feet. Shifting works great. Looks SO much better. Going to take a ride and see if I get lucky with the airbag light. I know I seated things and double checked my butt splices, etc. hopefully the airbag light will go off without any drama after a 20 mile ride
Attached Images   

Last edited by kawi825; 11-13-2020 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tman-Wa (11-13-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 01:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Looks great!
Faults like the PSM light are often caused by low battery, but usually reset quickly.

Man time flies! I modified my Cayman S and started this thread five years ago... That Cayman is long gone, but I still get a bit of a kick every time this thread is necrobumped with someone discovering just how much of an improvement an AMG paddle shift conversion is on a tiptronic Cayman or 911!

(And of course thx to S.W. who has taken it all to the next level...)

Last edited by pfbz; 11-14-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:27 AM
kawi825
Pro

Thank you again for the start on this thread. Realized that when i originally started the car to check shift up/down was working, my harness wasn't plugged in yet.. Dumb.

All looks great otherwise, thinking i may have to have the airbag light reset, but hoping if i disconnect the battery for an hour it'll magically recover

For anyone thinking of doing this mod, i highly recommend it, especially if you have the fugly triangle wheel.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Any supplemental protection (AKA airbag) systems never automatically reset when a fault is detected. It has to be reset.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

All looks great otherwise, thinking i may have to have the airbag light reset, but hoping if i disconnect the battery for an hour it'll magically recover
Sadly the SRS light will never reset without a tool... PIWIS, Durametric, or one of the hand-helds with Porsche specific software.

I have the one linked below. I also have a durametric, but it's often nice not having to boot up a PC to check/reset faults.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by pfbz; 11-14-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 AM
Arnaud Bachelet
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
First of, congrats for this great post that successfully convinced me to give it a go for my 997.1 Tip.

I have read the instructions several time and there is one last part of the process I am still not clear about (could be a language issue as I am French and might not understand all the technical terms).

I see that you are drilling the metal part and inserting a metal piece that will fit inside the paddle shifter hole but how does it hold? Is there a way to screw it?

At the moment, I am thinking of an industrial quantity of superglue to keep them in place .
Many thanks
Old 01-24-2021, 09:49 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

screws from the front, then covered with silver trim
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 AM
kawi825
Pro

As PFBZ said, there is a female hole in the paddle assembly. You will use a metric machine screw from the front to tighten it. I had to use a Dremel on the ridges on the back of the wheel to let the paddle sit flat. Before that it rocked slightly and I didn't like the way it moved. I was afraid it would loosen over time. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2021, 12:53 PM
SubiacoSte
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
I know this thread is old but i was hoping that someone could help me out i have read through the entire post and i am a bit confused.
i have an 06 CS and have decided to do the paddle conversion.
I have the triangle steering wheel with the tiptronic buttons on it and have purchased a second hand wheel from online which is the same triangle wheel but without the toptronic buttons just the covers.
now my question is do i need the wiring harness or can i just use the harness thats in the old wheel ? as it doesn's say anything about an harness in the first post.
cheers SubiacoSte

Quick Reply: DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion