Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:08 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman5
Clarification. The sets of wires coming from each set of buttons on the wheel both go into a black box and out come wires that go to the yellow connector that gets plugged in under the air bag. What happens in that black box is what concerns me. Are the red/white/black that come out of it the same as what is referred to in this post.
I think they are the same. I would just test with a multimeter that the buttons operate on the same colored wires before I start hacking up the harness though.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:05 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

If anyone is interested I have a steering wheel that my mechanic converted following this procedure for sale in the marketplace. I sold the car it was in.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 PM
skyscorcher
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome mod :)

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
I love it guys! I'm excited for my parts to arrive in the mail.
Hello mate, I'm from Athens too. Did you make the mod in the end? How is it? Have also sent you a pm in case you could share some more info about it. Thanks in advance, take care
Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
skyscorcher
3rd Gear

Talking Interested in buying your wheel

Originally Posted by rickster997
If anyone is interested I have a steering wheel that my mechanic converted following this procedure for sale in the marketplace. I sold the car it was in.
I'm interested in that mate. Can you share more info about it please? Also sent you a pm.

Thanks a lot
Old 01-10-2019, 12:52 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,748 Likes on 661 Posts

This steering wheel is sitting in my garage if it is of interest to anyone (not on the car that is):

Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 AM
skyscorcher
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
This steering wheel is sitting in my garage if it is of interest to anyone (not on the car that is):

Looks awesome although I cannot clearly see if it has the paddle shifters behind the wheel. What's the total cost to ship it in Greece? Also it says airbag below so I guess it has an airbag installed in there as well?

Thanks a lot mate
Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,748 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by skyscorcher
Looks awesome although I cannot clearly see if it has the paddle shifters behind the wheel. What's the total cost to ship it in Greece? Also it says airbag below so I guess it has an airbag installed in there as well? Thanks a lot mate
Apologies!
The wheel above is offered for paddle conversion, if anyone wants this style.
It does not have paddles now.
Or, as a PDK button wheel, as is.
Which of course are also Tiptronic compatible.

As I replaced it with this:

The airbag is not included, as it was carried over to the Sport paddle wheel.
Details here.

USD 400 shipped, or reasonable offer regardless.

See ya!
Neko

Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 PM
pabwal
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SpawnyWhippet - great write up, i am based in the Eastbay and work in the city, any chance you can lend a hand? happy to pay you for your time.. i am a disaster hwne it comes to this stuff
Old 05-28-2019, 08:39 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Hey Pabwal, yes, I work on other people's Porsches. Could you PM me a pic of your wheel, and year/model of Porsche please. I may have one pre-converted wheel left over that is ready to go that I could switch over quickly, I need to check my storage.
The following users liked this post:
GNAMES (01-03-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM
pabwal
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cant send PMs yet as I don’t have enough posts, it is a 2008 997 turbo, it’s has radio/telephone on steering wheel with triangle airbag.. never use it though so happy to lose that.

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
Hey Pabwal, yes, I work on other people's Porsches. Could you PM me a pic of your wheel, and year/model of Porsche please. I may have one pre-converted wheel left over that is ready to go that I could switch over quickly, I need to check my storage.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks @pfbz and @SpawnyWhippet for such an excellent how-to guide that makes this work for an absolute n00b like me! Project completed.

Attached are the specific instructions SpawnyWhippet provided for the MF steering wheel install.MF Steering Wheel Paddle Instructions

The following users liked this post:
pfbz (08-19-2019)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:33 AM
GNAMES
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
SpawnyWhippet, let me know if you have a preconverted wheel in storage! I wouldn’t mind purchasing it. (EDIT: Already purchased and converted a wheel, thanks to everyone for the DIY information)

Last edited by GNAMES; 01-16-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

I have done this in a few customers cars and they really noticed the driving experience improvement. Nice upgrade!
Old 11-09-2020, 05:46 PM
kawi825
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Can anyone confirm this can be done going from the triangle base 07 tiptronic wheel to a manual style sport wheel and not needing a steering control module? I don't see it mentioned so I assume that's only needed with the newer Porsche OEM paddle wheels? Just got my MB paddles and am itching to dive in.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:55 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

"Can anyone confirm this can be done going from the triangle base 07 tiptronic wheel to a manual style sport wheel and not needing a steering control module? I don't see it mentioned so I assume that's only needed with the newer Porsche OEM paddle wheels? Just got my MB paddles and am itching to dive in."

As long as you can transfer the wiring harness and attach the paddles, you can install this into any Porsche wheel. There are no electronics in the non-multifunction wheel, only switches and wiring.

Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 11-09-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion