Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have until 11AM to decide on Boxster GTS. Hmmm.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 614 Posts
Default I have until 11AM to decide on Boxster GTS. Hmmm.

After a bit of searching, I located a changeable (for another week or so) Boxster GTS allocation. The SA agreed to hold it over the weekend (well, from 4:50 Saturday and closed Sunday) and I agreed to commit by 11AM today.
I will be crushed, % wise on the Miata, but it was a fun summer in it. Luckily in dollars it's less than the PCCB option, but still, ouch.
I have owned and driven enough P cars over the years to know that the next gen is (almost) always better down the road. However, if this really the last of the flat 6 NA engines in these cars, that stokes my interest. It took me until 2013 to give up on air cooled cars.
So, how "rare" are these late GTS allocations? Anyone know?
Pretty heavily optioned, as I like them. Here's the build for those interested in commenting:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PGR64JV1
My wife just laughed at me and said "I think you should get it. It's nicer than the Miata."
One fabulous wife allows many cars...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Go for it. So far the value is holding good for GTS model...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I have until 11AM to decide on Boxster GTS. Hmmm.

life is short and it should be a (very) fun ride. I enjoy NA cars, my DD is a BMW X5 4.6is which is plenty fun, but not nearly as sharp as my 996 Turbo.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Pretty heavily optioned, as I like them. Here's the build for those interested in commenting:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PGR64JV1
My wife just laughed at me and said "I think you should get it. It's nicer than the Miata."
One fabulous wife allows many cars...
That's nicely optioned. Lol your wife sounds like mine.. She said the exact same thing to me when I was looking at the boxster 2 years ago!

How rare are the allocations? Nobody knows for sure but I'd imagine they will be drying up soon. How long have you owned the Miata?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
How rare are the allocations? Nobody knows for sure but I'd imagine they will be drying up soon. How long have you owned the Miata?
May 9. Impulse purchase. Fun summer - like a big Go-Kart. Seats a little narrow and no adjustment. Really fun to drive at the speed limit...
Old 09-14-2015, 10:24 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a sweet build, though I'm not a black wheel guy, the blue is great. Nicer ? can't really compare it to the Miata...

Donn
Old 09-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May 9. Impulse purchase. Fun summer - like a big Go-Kart. Seats a little narrow and no adjustment. Really fun to drive at the speed limit...
Love the Miata. Such a fun car. I was actually looking at those before the current boxster.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

Okay Keadog, times up yea or nay??
Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Okay Keadog, times up yea or nay??
Ordered it a few hours ago over the phone/email. I've been a little busy since. I'm on call until Thursday, so they're deciding whether to pick up the Miata tomorrow or wait until I can drive it up on Thursday.
Build freezes by 9/29, but I asked SA to punch in the build today. My last Boxster locked early "SURPRISE" before I could add heated steering wheel and I won't buy a black/black/black with no options (like the C4S cab at Beyer's two years ago someone "forgot" to spec for inventory). SA expects delivery by the end of the year. It'll go from dealer to Esoteric to storage until Spring.
Going with it probably exactly as the code above. I'm tempted to do GT silver/Espresso/Brown because +$1500 for all natural leather is a Porsche "bargain", but I can't bring myself to pay $2500 for a soon to be "regular" color. Plus, there seem to be a lot less DBMs than silvers. That blue looks outstanding in the sunlight. I think the Rhodium has too much blue in it to add brown. I would have no trouble putting Espresso in a DBM coupe, but I can't figure out a reasonable soft top color.
All the other options are firm. It'll be a fun car.
But kudos to Mazda - that little thing was a whole lot of fun to drive this summer, especially for the price (before trade, that is).
Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent !

Donn
Old 09-14-2015, 09:28 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

Congrats!

You still have a few days to modify your build should you wish. Colors are a very personal thing so I won't impose my favorites except, if you stick with the black interior get the guards red seat belts for a spot of color. Otherwise, you've hit all the important performance boxes and that's what counts with this car (IMHO).
Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Congrats!

You still have a few days to modify your build should you wish. Colors are a very personal thing so I won't impose my favorites except, if you stick with the black interior get the guards red seat belts for a spot of color. Otherwise, you've hit all the important performance boxes and that's what counts with this car (IMHO).
I like red belts - my '97 993 had them (added by PO). We talked it over and I'm now thinking this:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PGUN6FY5

Delete painted roll bars and change center console trim to leather (to keep interior all black). Add red belts and red SC dial. Never liked the "off center" look of painted main dials with the TFT screen to right.
Thanks for jogging my memory!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Congrats!

As far as colors, I think their current selections are... limited. I missed the PTS window (again). I would have loved to get Brewster Green/Espresso/Brown.
Please feel free to add your favorites. I think Carmine is lovely, but...
Old 09-15-2015, 10:23 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

But kudos to Mazda - that little thing was a whole lot of fun to drive this summer, especially for the price (before trade, that is).
Which means it's even a better deal slightly used. I should test drive one soon. I've raced MX-5s in the Skip Barber series and am well aware of how much fun they can be. The new platform is much lighter to boot. Congrats on the new GTS! A big Boxster fan here, too.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Which means it's even a better deal slightly used. I should test drive one soon. I've raced MX-5s in the Skip Barber series and am well aware of how much fun they can be. The new platform is much lighter to boot. Congrats on the new GTS! A big Boxster fan here, too.
I got crushed on trade, but both dealers I talked to were very close on trade in; both far below KBB "trade in to dealer" value. It's a '15 GT PRHT, the last new one in Ohio of the "old" NC style. They are a ton of fun to drive, but of course the Boxster is a better car (at 3X$ they way I built it).

Quick Reply: I have until 11AM to decide on Boxster GTS. Hmmm.