Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GTS Review by 997.1 GT3 Owner [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I hate the fact they add revmatching in a manual gearbox car.
If you don't want to do that stuff yourself, get a PDK.
Might as well put in clutchless upshifts too
Old 07-11-2015, 08:11 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
Might as well put in clutchless upshifts too
No need for that. You can flatshift any car. Revlimiter will take care of that
Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

excellent monologue and review... world class I would say. is this your profession or just something you're trying on the side... either way you're beating the pants off some of the famous guys.. and avoiding all the oversteer insanity while giving very useful and interesting information. very very good.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

how do you like the MV dragster?... i've ridden a brutale and not sure the longer wheelbase makes sense...
Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reviews and vids really enjoyed them!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I am getting tired of hearing this comment... auto-blip is for the wife or people who can't handle a manual gearbox, etc. This is bullsh** for a street car. Unless you track your car on a regular basis and you like to play with heel & toe at the cost of being slower, which most people buying a boxster/cayman won't do, the auto revmatching is great ! If you race, the auto-blip allow you to brake later and stronger while you downshift 3 gears much faster and with more engine compression. On the street 99.99% of the drivers will never heel & toe as they never brake strong enough to align the brake pedal with the trottle (unless you put a wood piece on the trottle). In most instance people don't even touch the brake pedal while downshifting to slow down slowly at a traffic light ! So, if they would not have an auto-blip they would simply upset the car with no revmatching (and probably wouldn't even notice).

I raced for years a 997.1 Cup car which I had to heel & toe to downshift and I really liked it so I resisted a couple of seasons before installing the PMNA autoblip part. When I did, I got 1 - 1.5s/lap and never looked back.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM
driveopolis
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
excellent monologue and review... world class I would say. is this your profession or just something you're trying on the side... either way you're beating the pants off some of the famous guys.. and avoiding all the oversteer insanity while giving very useful and interesting information. very very good.
Thank you all for the very gracious feedback, but especially to you CAlexio for your exceedingly kind comment. It's a lot of work and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it but a comment like yours really inspires me to keep going.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
how do you like the MV dragster?... i've ridden a brutale and not sure the longer wheelbase makes sense...
As far as I know the wheelbase is the same, it's mostly cosmetic and the handlebars are different plus a wider rear tire. I'm really enjoying the bike's versatility and riding position. Really feels like a big mountain bike around town, it's that easy and agile. I sometimes miss my previous sportbikes for mountain roads and canyon runs (wind protection) but as an all rounder it really fits the type of riding I do. Not to derail the thread... but what do you ride?

I think this is a really interesting sentiment and I can see how some purists will find it unnecessary. I like the fact that the rev matching can be fully disabled. It's like stability control... if its defeat-able then I have nothing against it. It strikes a nice middle ground between PDK and a 3 pedal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa

As far as I know the wheelbase is the same, it's mostly cosmetic and the handlebars are different plus a wider rear tire. I'm really enjoying the bike's versatility and riding position. Really feels like a big mountain bike around town, it's that easy and agile. I sometimes miss my previous sportbikes for mountain roads and canyon runs (wind protection) but as an all rounder it really fits the type of riding I do. Not to derail the thread... but what do you ride?
i have a very modified hypermotard, a 749R, and full custom ducati 999 based cafe bike which I built from the ground up which goes to shows but I also ride often.. also a ktm exc 450 for the dirt.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

apology for the threadjack.. back to porsches.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 PM
mti
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Cayman GTS. Could have bought a 911 C2S instead but chose this because I liked it more. Simple. No 911 Envy.

I'd recommend the GTS to anyone.

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS Review by 997.1 GT3 Owner [VIDEO]