Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Interior Red Stitching - Will it fade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS Interior Red Stitching - Will it fade?

I'm pretty enamored with the GTS interior package and its deviated red stitching. What I am wondering is will the stitching hold up to fading over time? The silver stitching would be fine because it almost looks white and if it fades it'll still look good. If the red fades...could be pink. I had an NSX that I sold locally and saw it a few years later and the red stitching in the recovered seats was looking pretty pink.

Appreciate your thoughts...especially if you've owned a Porsche with their deviated colored stitching for any length of time.

The Alcantara is also a concern but I figure there is plenty of info out there for me to investigate.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:00 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's fair comparing the interior quality of the NSX with that of a Porsche. Porsche is a brand that wouldn't exist if it weren't for customers that keep their cars on the road for decades... Honda, while having some brilliant engineers, simply do not have the supplier relationships that a higher end manufacturer has.

The red stitching will not fade, so long as you don't rub it constantly with dirty hands.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

I should've been more clear. I was just using that as an example. The red stitching was done when the seats were recovered. By no means OEM quality I'm sure, but seeing it fade after a few years has me wondering if that would be typical for red stitching over the course of time or if somehow Porsche uses UV-resistant thread?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

The GTS interior package is part of what makes the car special. I wouldn't order one without it.
Not sure on the red, but Porsche yellow stitching looks fine after many years.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The GTS interior package is part of what makes the car special. I wouldn't order one without it.
Not sure on the red, but Porsche yellow stitching looks fine after many years.
That is exactly why asked. I've been eyeballing the GTS as a possible alternative to gambling on a GT4 and I feel like it is only worth it with the GTS Interior Package (which should be standard...I feel). I can't quite justify it otherwise.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
I don't think it's fair comparing the interior quality of the NSX with that of a Porsche. Porsche is a brand that wouldn't exist if it weren't for customers that keep their cars on the road for decades... Honda, while having some brilliant engineers, simply do not have the supplier relationships that a higher end manufacturer has.

The red stitching will not fade, so long as you don't rub it constantly with dirty hands.
While not the same, the red seat belts in my 987 Spyder were the perfect example of P-car durability. They did not fade, but they did get fairly soiled from grimy hands and what not. A little warm water and Woolite brought 'em back to new.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
What I am wondering is will the stitching hold up to fading over time?
Here is a screen capture of an older post on the subject:

Post 127
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...to-show-9.html

Hope that helps the conversation on the current stitching on a Porsche re: Fading.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

^^ Thank you, Eduardo! Good stuff. I feel a little better about it. Longest I've kept a car is 4 years so I would assume for me the stitching color should hold up for at least that long.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this being said... Red is the most fugitive color (fades) but I have never seen this happen on stitching...

Quick Reply: GTS Interior Red Stitching - Will it fade?