Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Cayman/Boxster AND Audi RS4 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Any Cayman/Boxster AND Audi RS4 owners?

Hi all,

Every couple years I get an itch to try a more vintage car that I knew could be had for a fraction of MSRP if I waited. Back in the day, I had an Audi S4, and loved it, and always wanted to try to pickup a B7 (2007-2008) RS4. These things have finally dipped into the high 20's / low 30's, and I'm thinking it might be time to pick up a new commuter car. I've never driven one, but everyone that I know who has says the 4.2 V8 is sublime, and its the only audi, past or present, that was able to 'hide' its weight (and understeer).

I currently drive a perfectly spec'd 987 Spyder, and hate putting commuter miles on it. An RS4 might be the perfect DD.

Anyone Rennlister's have experience with the car that they would like to share?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned an S4 Cab from that era and seriously looked at an RS4. I didn't pull the trigger because of the carbon build-up issue on the DISI motors. It's a serious problem and, even after cleaning, can re-occur within 20K miles. Other than that, I love the looks and the engine is a giant killer.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Boxster S

Sorry we have a 2015 RS5 and
2014 S4

Both are great cars. No problems. Exceeded our expectations. There are our first Audis so I can't comment on previous years. I would have a PMI done on a used one.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Good call on the carbon cleaning. It's a $800 cost every 20,000 miles, i.e. every 2.5 years with my driving patterns. That's an acceptable cost for the performance for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Not the answer you are looking for but why not use the spyder as a daily driver. It performs phenomenal in any weather and is so much fun for a relatively low cost of admission. I have over 20K miles on a spyder used as a daily driver. Its not a collectible .. At least not for another 30 years and who cares at that point. Not me or you I am guessing. And even well used and well maintained long hoods are pulling in as much $$$ as garage queens. Its hard to use a perfect car as stuff happens when you drive it regularly (ask me how I know)... I can see it but life is too short to worry about cars not being perfect.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 AM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Not the answer you are looking for but why not use the spyder as a daily driver. It performs phenomenal in any weather and is so much fun for a relatively low cost of admission. I have over 20K miles on a spyder used as a daily driver. Its not a collectible .. At least not for another 30 years and who cares at that point. Not me or you I am guessing. And even well used and well maintained long hoods are pulling in as much $$$ as garage queens. Its hard to use a perfect car as stuff happens when you drive it regularly (ask me how I know)... I can see it but life is too short to worry about cars not being perfect.
You bring up excellent points, and the truth is there are no logical reason not to drive it more. However, the way I approach it is 1. I don't want the novelty of the car to wear off, as it's all freeway driving in a straight line 2. If my gt4 allocation comes through then I would prefer to have lower miles for a sale and 3. I just sometimes get the itch to have something new :-)

Looking at the rs4 is really about the last point - that and I wouldnt mind commuting 70 miles a day with a car that already has 50k or 60k miles on it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a Daytona Grey RS4 which I bought new in 2008. Had GMG do the Stasis suspension and while I absolutely loved the way it looked I absolutely hated the 6 speed they married to it. I can't express how much I hated it. I went to a M5 after but eventually ended up on my first of three 987's and never looked back. I have a Tesla S for my daily but do not miss the RS4 at all.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
hlc
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned a 2007 Audi RS4. It was a great daily driver however the car does understeer. The gas tank is small so the car requires constant fill ups. In cold weather, the transmission would be balky until warmed up. There is no drain plug on the transmission to change the oil- it is a sealed unit. There was a campaign for leaking oil filled shocks. The car was very reliable and solid. Super in foul weather.

I currently have a 2009 Cayman S with PDK in the stable and it is great fair weather daily driver. Balanced, focused, and fun. Good highway mpg too.

In general I have drifted away from Audi products, including S and RS, as they seem soft and significantly less sporty compared to Porsche.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
rjpeaks
Advanced

I had an B7 - 07 S4 Avant. i sold her a while back - sadly.

it was a great car. i will echo the small gas tank + 13MPG.

two cars removed.

I have a 981 box.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Current B7 RS4 owner here. Actually just sold mine in preparation to order a Cayman. Was a really hard choice, but I dont have the room to keep both. Mine is tastefully modded.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
rjpeaks
Advanced

potato peelers FTW
Old 05-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

Heck yes! I've had like 5 sets of wheels on the car, but the peelers are by far my fav.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by hlc
I have owned a 2007 Audi RS4. It was a great daily driver however the car does understeer.
Beat me to it. Great car, but putting the R in front of the S doesn't reduce the understeer. When I owned my S4, I got to drive two RS4s. Loved them both, but they still understeered. The RS5 I have now understeers less, but it still does it, particularly at higher cornering speeds.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Bond55
Rennlist Member

It's sort of hard to reduce understeer when there's a V8 engine in front of the front axle. Even though the car was almost 4k lbs, it didn't drive like it was, not that I'm saying it handled like a Miata by any means.

It officially went to its new owner yesterday. *sniff* Time to order a Cayman!

Quick Reply: Any Cayman/Boxster AND Audi RS4 owners?