Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering Boxster GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ordering Boxster GTS

Hello Rennlist.

Trying to get a boxster GTS order. I'm in Indiana so I'm shopping between our 2 dealers and a few dealers in Chicago and Ohio. Our local guys want a $5000 non refundable deposit, which I think is excessive for a agate/pebble PDK car, it's not a radical build that would be tough to sell. Is there anything this forum recommends I should have put in writing at the time of the order?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Hello Rennlist.

Trying to get a boxster GTS order. I'm in Indiana so I'm shopping between our 2 dealers and a few dealers in Chicago and Ohio. Our local guys want a $5000 non refundable deposit, which I think is excessive for a agate/pebble PDK car, it's not a radical build that would be tough to sell. Is there anything this forum recommends I should have put in writing at the time of the order?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Dear Lucifer:

Simply tell them not to fool with the devil. They'll be joining you in hell if they try any typical dealer scam such as non-refundable deposits. Let them see your horns and poke them a little with the trident...that should scare the living daylights out of them & the rest of your transaction should run pretty smoothly!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Evil has no boundaries! Honestly though. Aside from the deposit scam, I haven't researched state law yet on deposits. I'm trying to get this order done ASAP. It is for my dad and will probably be his last car. I personally think he should take something out of inventory, so he can have it now, but he wants a specific build.

I mean how can I be sure my local dealer even has an allocation for this build? I'm hearing 4-5 months for delivery. What if the car isn't here in 6 months? Anyone recommend having a time limit in writing or anything else in writing at the time of order? Such as if the car doesn't arrive to specification he doesn't have to accept it?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I thought all the Boxster and Cayman GTS allocations were gone. Are they still making more?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I thought all the Boxster and Cayman GTS allocations were gone. Are they still making more?
Yes, it appears that Porsche is extending production of all production sports cars through 2016.

@Dr. Satan -

$5k is a bit excessive, but I would simply strike up a rapport with the dealership, ensure them that you are not going to cancel your order and stick them with the car, and ask for a smaller deposit. I'm sure that policy is in place as a deterrent, and can be adjusted should they feel comfortable with the client.

Story time: I was working back in Philadelphia and received a phone call from a man that lived about 2 north in the middle of nowhere. He wanted to order a 991 in Lime Gold, with a beige interior. I got a pretty weird vibe from this guy, so after discussing with my manager, we decided that we were going to need a $10k non-refundable deposit with a signed agreement. He didn't like it, but begrudgingly obliged. Over the next 3 weeks I spent somewhere between 15 and 20 hours on the phone with him, changing his configuration 10 times, each time requiring new faxes to be sent, and him signing off on them. I could tell he loved the process. Eventually, Porsche locked the configuration and it went into production. When the car came in 2 months later, I called to let him know. He said he "didn't think he wife would like it" if he brought the car home... I couldn't believe it. This guy willingly gave up $10k just to pretend to buy a Porsche for a month. I am so glad I asked for the deposit.

That car sat on our showroom floor for 6 months before I finally had to use ALL $10k in discount (on top of a "normal" discount), just to get someone to buy it.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

arena-RTR

I can completely see that scenario going down. My concern for my dad is he has 7 stints and an existing aneurysm. Just seems excessive to have to lose 5g just because they ordered a car that should be in inventory anyway. I guess really 5g doesn't matter if he was gone. I could see forfeiting a deposit if a client decides to walk away from an order but there are cases of extenuating circumstances. Personally I wish he would take something from inventory so he could enjoy it now but he is set on this agate with pebble interior.

Just for reference. A dealer in Cleveland only requires a $1000 on an order but they are 4 hours away.

Any other suggestions of anything that should be in writing during the order process?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for reference. A dealer in Cleveland only requires a $1000 on an order but they are 4 hours away.

Any other suggestions of anything that should be in writing during the order process?
So tell your local dealer that another dealer is ready and willing to take $1,000. Sale people and sales managers won't give up a deal over the deposit, unless they are so convinced that you are very flaky. Make it easy for them to sell, and they'll make it easy for you to buy. Keep in mind, that what you considered to be a normally configured car can be completely opposite of reality.

FYI, I gave $5,000 deposit for my Spyder, and "Non refundable" was written on my buyer's order, because I ordered Sport bucket seats. Everyone on the forum would tell you that ordering the buckets should be no biggie, easy sell, but the dealers thought otherwise. I was solid and certain, so I didn't care about putting down $5k.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:28 PM
mopgcw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you don't want to do $1000 in Cleveland, and they wont come down, you can run it on your Amex and rely on their dispute resolution process if needed. gives a bit more protection than just handing them the cash.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Originally Posted by mopgcw
if you don't want to do $1000 in Cleveland, and they wont come down, you can run it on your Amex and rely on their dispute resolution process if needed. gives a bit more protection than just handing them the cash.
That is an interesting idea.

Anybody else have any suggestions on things that should be put in writing for an order? Even things that are not deposit related?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Anybody else have any suggestions on things that should be put in writing for an order? Even things that are not deposit related?
Include a paragraph telling them you'll get them five 991 gt3 RS & ten GT4 extra allocations (half of them in PTS) that they can sell at a huge markup over sticker! They just have to will over their souls to...well you, Dr. Satan. You be surprised how many dealers apparently fall for that old trick, especially here in highly secular & agnostic California. Try it, what do you have to lose?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to ask.......what is with the name Dr. Satan?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bandit201
I have to ask.......what is with the name Dr. Satan?
It is from the Rob Zombie movie House of 1000 Corpses. The kids in the movie are on a search for...Dr. Satan.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 AM
spyder fan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call my dealer, Porsche of the Village in Cincinnati. My salesman is Bruce Harnish. Phone number is (513) 271-3200. I got my Boxster GTS from them. They will treat you right. They have a black GTS in stock. Tell them Dave Hall sent you.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Ok. Thanks Dave. I will run it by them. Currently my best deal is 4 1/2% discount and a $2500 deposit. Seems reasonable.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder fan
Tell them Dave Hell sent you.
Muahahaha!

Quick Reply: Ordering Boxster GTS