Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm confused as to which market Porsche is appealing to with the Spyder. From what I've read Porsche's car for the track is the GT4, and the Spyder is for the sports enthusiast but is designed for the street. Therefore, the GT4's suspension and brakes will not be offered on the Spyder.

So if the Spyder is designed for the street, why all the focus on saving weight? When tracking a car, every pound is critical but not so for the street. Why would I pay $85K for a car that has neither a stereo nor AC and a manual convertible top when it's not a track focused car? The demo for lowering the top looks simple when performed by two people, but not so with just one person. I'd much rather have the car weigh an extra twenty pounds than to have to get out of the car and snap and unsnap the clasps on either side of the car and then manually lower the top. A PITA for a car not designed for the track.

I wish that Porsche would have either offered the 375HP engine as an option to the 981S, and allowed buyers to retain all of the current 981 amenities or made the Spyder a virtual ragtop clone of the GT4.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I wish that Porsche would have either offered the 375HP engine as an option to the 981S, and allowed buyers to retain all of the current 981 amenities or made the Spyder a virtual ragtop clone of the GT4.
Pretty much the point I've been trying to make. To top it off, the constantly improving and adaptive PASM suspension from the GT4 may end up being better suited (even softer) for the back-roads than the Spyder's X73 suspension -- especially relevant given the lesser stiffness of the convertible.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
That's because it is cheesy plastic. I've lived with a scratched and near-opaque rear window for 22 years with my Miata and the later glass-windowed tops are far superior. I wonder if those spindly arms will hold things together if that sail-like hatch is opened in a strong wind.
Would be cool if the rear window could be removed.. Makes sense that it might if it's plastic..
Old 04-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Looking at the still photos it looks like the rear portion of the top may be removable - there are a bunch of snaps. That would explain why the rear window looks like cheesy plastic.

To say something positive - I do like the steering wheel.
It has to come off - for access to the top of the engine compartment. Right?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm confused as to which market Porsche is appealing to with the Spyder. From what I've read Porsche's car for the track is the GT4, and the Spyder is for the sports enthusiast but is designed for the street. Therefore, the GT4's suspension and brakes will not be offered on the Spyder.

So if the Spyder is designed for the street, why all the focus on saving weight? When tracking a car, every pound is critical but not so for the street. Why would I pay $85K for a car that has neither a stereo nor AC and a manual convertible top when it's not a track focused car? The demo for lowering the top looks simple when performed by two people, but not so with just one person. I'd much rather have the car weigh an extra twenty pounds than to have to get out of the car and snap and unsnap the clasps on either side of the car and then manually lower the top. A PITA for a car not designed for the track.

Agreed.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:47 AM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The cars are more different than I expected

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
That was my favorite part of the 987: that you could put the cool looking top half on and leave the rear window and bottom part in the trunk. You get the feeling of driving a convertible without baking in the sun. Genius.
Agreed, An awesome part of owning my 2012 Spyder has been driving with the sunshade only. It blocks the sun and rain (heavy rain for two hours on the interstate with no water entering the car). I use the back stop only in the winter for warmth. If you don't have to install/remove the back stop the time is cut in half.

So just 2-3 minutes time is required to install/remove the sunshade. With the low window height the car is very attractive with the top up (or down for sure).

I didn't see it mentioned yet but it appears the door pulls are not the RS style items from the precious iteration. Those were pretty cool as were several other details like.

Limited slip diff.
Manual parking brake
Non-electric steering
Trunk access top up or down

I guess we just need to drive the new Spyder to decide if it meets our expectations the 3.8L torque will be in the plus column for sure.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Very curious at this point If those clips/buttons we see in those screen grabs mean that the rear of the roof can be removed to give the sunshade effect from 987...
Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Very curious at this point If those clips/buttons we see in those screen grabs mean that the rear of the roof can be removed to give the sunshade effect from 987...
You and me both! I certainly hope so... If not, it's a bummer, but I'm still buying!
Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 AM
ClarkFan
Cruisin'

Question All they have done with this top is perpetuate the "never seen rain" myth.

Seriously, who would live with that top in a car they really intend to drive all days and in all weather? Between that and the porthole rear window, it's a deal killer. What is wrong with a regular manual top? I know they are declasse because Miatas have them, but you get the weight savings without the poor vision and the fire drill assembly.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ClarkFan
What is wrong with a regular manual top?
because that would not work with the 2 humps, the Spyder's signature
Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
because that would not work with the 2 humps, the Spyder's signature
Then make a Boxster GT4 and screw the humps (pun intended).
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For Germans, they certainly know how to over-complicate something simple.

If the goal was to reduce weight they only needed to make it a manual top like on the Miata but instead using carbon fiber/kevlar and lightweight metals. THey could have claimed it as the lightest top of any roadster. But more importantly one that can be operated from the driver's seat with one hand...the essence of a well made roadster.

This is just ridiculous. Get in the car, reach for the button that partly opens the top. Get out of the car. Walk to one side and fiddle. Walkt to the other and side and fiddle. Open the rear trunk. Lower the top. Close the trunk. Get in the car.... function following form and needlessly limiting the pool of buyers to perfect weather zip codes. THis must be some inside joke at Porsche.

BUT... if you wan the 911S engine in a Boxster... it's take or leave it. 375 HP, maybe 400 HP with a few mods. That oomph in the lowest center of gravity sports car between the Cayman, Carrera and Boxster? That is the big story here. A few suspension mods and this car being quicker than the 991S and Cayman GT4 will not be out of the question. Definitely the best track option of the three on handling/grip.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That's been my thinking as well. They are trying to hold on to enthusiast appeal of the 987 Spyder while also appealing to a bigger market by making the top easier to use. They should have totally skipped the Spyder humps and trying to copy what was done and went with something completely original and new. Unless of course they are going to continue building Spyders into the future and it is truly part of the standard product lineup like the GT's & GTS's.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:32 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That's been my thinking as well. They are trying to hold on to enthusiast appeal of the 987 Spyder while also appealing to a bigger market by making the top easier to use. They should have totally skipped the Spyder humps and trying to copy what was done and went with something completely original and new. Unless of course they are going to continue building Spyders into the future and it is truly part of the standard product lineup like the GT's & GTS's.
Agree but I will take it a step further...since the 911 no longer seems untouchable they should have made it a Speedster with a real top.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
ClarkFan
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Agree but I will take it a step further...since the 911 no longer seems untouchable they should have made it a Speedster with a real top.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos