Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 PM
chuck bernstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos

Hey guys,

Just came back from the PCA breakfast at the NY Auto Show and I took some close-up video of the convertible top operation. I hope this will shed more light on how it works versus the 987 Spyder.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck bernstein
Hey guys,

Just came back from the PCA breakfast at the NY Auto Show and I took some close-up video of the convertible top operation. I hope this will shed more light on how it works versus the 987 Spyder.

Video 1:

Spydertop1 - YouTube

Video 2:

Spydertop2 - YouTube
To ME, this is a BIG Pain In The A**!

Why go through that crap just to save a few pounds. Even with the power top, a Boxster S 6 speed weighs 45 pounds LESS than a GT4!

I like the idea of the 3.8 but to me, that roof is a deal breaker.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Nice. Much easier than the previous Boxster Spyder. Will likely make it easier for Porsche to sell.
Still doesn't look as good though.

I just don't get why they went with this design. Why have the goofy 'tent' flaps when the top is otherwise the same as a standard Boxster? With the prior version, you could at least drive with the rear part of the top off if desired.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I also don't get the point of the flaps other than to maintain the same look. I wonder if you could have the black trim that the flaps hook into painted the same color as the car. I think that trim piece breaks up the look of the rear. The hinge mechanism also seems flimsy and complicated. They essentially took the electric roof and removed the power motors and insulation. I'm still partial to the original but I know most have no interest in dealing with the 3 minute removal/install process.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good video, I have some stills below. During the discussion after the demo, I found out that the rear trunk cannot be opened with the top up. As you can see in the first video, the rear trunk compound hinge moves the lid up and away from the top first thing. So if you forget or need something in the trunk, you have to disconnect the header bar ( power ) and disconnect the two bimini connectors. Seems like a significant oversight to me...

Smashing car otherwise, a lot of sculpting where the 987.2 is rounded. How many of us have said they wished for 40 more ponies ? Cool GT3 hood vent, also intakes are screened. Love the 20 inch spyder wheels...

Very nice of all involved to make this event available to us, just ambling around the empty show floor instead of crowd surfing was a treat. Thanks to PCNA and PCA...

Donn
Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Looking at the still photos it looks like the rear portion of the top may be removable - there are a bunch of snaps. That would explain why the rear window looks like cheesy plastic.

To say something positive - I do like the steering wheel.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Honestly I'm torn on the roof.
The 987.2 was more thought out than this one.
You can access the rear trunk area no matter which configuration you use.
The wings on the original were functional where on the 981 they are for visual only and actually makes things more difficult.
I hate the fact that you can't just use the "Bimini" only. Yes the 987 roof was more difficult to use, but at least it was done for a reason. Problem is that Porsche tried to please everyone on this new design and it shows. They should have focused on the original intent... Making it multi-functional (3 different modes: No roof, Sunshade only and Sunshade with weather protector) and ultra-lightweight... and ignored all the complainers... because in reality this car wasn't made for everyone.

I have a feeling the 987.2 Spyder is still going to hold it's value even with the 981 Spyder being launch... They are both nice, but different.

Part of me wants to keep my 987, but the other side of me says do the 981. Honestly leaning toward the later.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Looking at the still photos it looks like the rear portion of the top may be removable - there are a bunch of snaps. That would explain why the rear window looks like cheesy plastic.
I hope you are right!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:32 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The roof is ridiculous. The tent wings are... WTF for? And to have to OPEN the roof in order to reach the trunk?! My crap list on this Spyder keeps growing in addition to not having the GT4 motorsport bits while costing practically the same as the GT4. As an ex-owner of a Boxster (which I dearly miss) I really wanted to love this car. A base Boxster with X73 sport suspension remains both the cheapest and the most purist new Porsche to buy -- just make the LW buckets available across the whole model range.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Nice. Much easier than the previous Boxster Spyder. Will likely make it easier for Porsche to sell.
Still doesn't look as good though.

I just don't get why they went with this design. Why have the goofy 'tent' flaps when the top is otherwise the same as a standard Boxster? With the prior version, you could at least drive with the rear part of the top off if desired.
That's a good question Ray and I surmise that it goes along with the origins of the word "Spyder" in the automotive world, that heralds back to the day of the horse drawn "Spyder" carriages or "cabs" where the top draped down in each corner and the sides appearing like a "spider".

Also...
"According to wikipedia, the term comes from the days of horse drawn vehicles, a spider being a light 2 seat vehicle, the name coming from the appearance of the top being likened to an 8 legged spider."

Thus for Porsche to technically call it a "Spyder" the top needs to have the funny flaps, even through in the 981 are really more decorative than functional as in the 987.2.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:36 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

The new car has a better engineered top.

The old car's top has more character and is cooler, despite being cumbersome to some.

A French press vs k-cup coffee.

The decision to put badges right near the hooks seems to be more of a marketing decision than a designer's decision. I am guessing it is because they took away the vintage racing stripes and now have to justify visually that is not your plain jane Boxster. Cool cars don't need to shout "Look at me, I am different!" This is so BMW M and their 9 M badges on a single car.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thus for Porsche to technically call it a "Spyder" the top needs to have the funny flaps, even through in the 981 are really more decorative than functional as in the 987.2.
The 918 Spyder doesn't seem to need them.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I am torn on this one too. I have a 2014 S with X73, Sports Seats, LSD & TV. I would love to have the 375 HP but am disappointed no adjustable front control arms, smaller brakes & rear tire size than the GT4. Also I can not tell on Website does the new Spyder come standard with LSD?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charlie C

Why go through that crap just to save a few pounds. Even with the power top, a Boxster S 6 speed weighs 45 pounds LESS than a GT4!

That top supposedly saves 22lbs, which is the weight of about three gallons of gas. So you can get the Spyder weight savings by filling up a little less at the gas station. And what is that mesh viewblocker doing there in between the seats?

I didn’t realize you still had to close those two little flaps after the top was stowed. So it looks like an 9-step operation (unlock top, pop trunk, unhook and roll left buttress, unhook and roll right buttress, open trunk, stow top, close trunk, close right flap, close left flap)? Although maybe the flaps could be closed before closing the trunk, saving an extra trip to the passenger side?

All in all, though, an improvement over the 987. Especially PR-wise. So far, videos of the Spyder top operation feature relaxed people who seem to be having a good time. The only 987 Spyder video I remember was of a grumbly-looking guy in a suit who looked like he was about to toss the roof at the cameraman during Take #394 ...
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charlie C

Better than the previous Spyder. I will keep my Boxster S thank you.

Would be nice if they had a power top option.

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos