Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
The new car has a better engineered top.

The old car's top has more character and is cooler, despite being cumbersome to some.

A French press vs k-cup coffee.

The decision to put badges right near the hooks seems to be more of a marketing decision than a designer's decision. I am guessing it is because they took away the vintage racing stripes and now have to justify visually that is not your plain jane Boxster. Cool cars don't need to shout "Look at me, I am different!" This is so BMW M and their 9 M badges on a single car.
Not sure about better, more convenience perhaps but not sure if it's better. Watching those guys struggle to snap in the flaps was amusing....and every time i see those chrome badges fixed to that plastic I want to slap whomever thought that was a good idea. If they wanted more "Spyder" badges how about the Ram Air intakes the GT4 got for the 10 HP and embed Spyder script in those?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sportwagen
That top supposedly saves 22lbs, which is the weight of about three gallons of gas. So you can get the Spyder weight savings by filling up a little less at the gas station. And what is that mesh viewblocker doing there in between the seats?

I didn’t realize you still had to close those two little flaps after the top was stowed. So it looks like an 9-step operation (unlock top, pop trunk, unhook and roll left buttress, unhook and roll right buttress, open trunk, stow top, close trunk, close right flap, close left flap)? Although maybe the flaps could be closed before closing the trunk, saving an extra trip to the passenger side?

All in all, though, an improvement over the 987. Especially PR-wise. So far, videos of the Spyder top operation feature relaxed people who seem to be having a good time. The only 987 Spyder video I remember was of a grumbly-looking guy in a suit who looked like he was about to toss the roof at the cameraman during Take #394 ...
The first video I saw was on YOUTUBE of a young Porsche executive and he seemed to handle it with ease. I know the video you're referring to but that was stupid from the onset. I watched the video once and when I got my car I took it off in 10 minutes and back on in 15. After that it was 5/5 and that's because I am careful when stowing it.

Other than the stupid Spyder badges I noticed that is some serious engineering under the humps to make all of this happen. I actually would have gone powered top and given it 425 HP to **** off the GT4 people and make-up for the added weight...PDK of course too!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:54 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Also the rear humps look more like canisters, almost forced. Assuredly not as blended and seamless as the 987's. I do like the interior of the 981 and the option list is far better than what was offered on the 987.

I think the proof in the pudding will be the reviews in the coming days.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The definition of Spyder is "same as a roadster but with reduced weather protection". The 987.2 Spyder is exactly that with a focus on seriously reducing weight at the very top of the car.

Regardless of this I do think the reviews will be glowing, especially if they really did make changes to the steering feel.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The definition of Spyder is "same as a roadster but with reduced weather protection". The 987.2 Spyder is exactly that with a focus on seriously reducing weight at the very top of the car.

Regardless of this I do think the reviews will be glowing, especially if they really did make changes to the steering feel.
I would agree but how would one explain the RS60 "Spyder"
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue44
good video, I have some stills below. During the discussion after the demo, I found out that the rear trunk cannot be opened with the top up. As you can see in the first video, the rear trunk compound hinge moves the lid up and away from the top first thing. So if you forget or need something in the trunk, you have to disconnect the header bar ( power ) and disconnect the two bimini connectors. Seems like a significant oversight to me...
Donn
Well, if you’re old-school enough to take nine steps to lower a Spyder top when a Miata can do it in two, then why would you be averse to taking four steps to open the trunk? Doesn’t this just add to the character of the car and make opening the trunk more of an experience?

Hipsters here in Portland have taken to carrying boomboxes while riding their fixies. People will put up with all kind of inconveniences if something strikes their fancy.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
"According to wikipedia, the term comes from the days of horse drawn vehicles, a spider being a light 2 seat vehicle, the name coming from the appearance of the top being likened to an 8 legged spider."

Thus for Porsche to technically call it a "Spyder" the top needs to have the funny flaps, even through in the 981 are really more decorative than functional as in the 987.2.
Since the Porsche version only has four legs instead of the required eight, shouldn't it be called "waterbug?"
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

it is a better top than the old spyder but not as beautiful.
Would love to have just the stretched piece as the top with nothing else...
Old 04-03-2015, 07:55 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
To ME, this is a BIG Pain In The A**!

Why go through that crap just to save a few pounds. Even with the power top, a Boxster S 6 speed weighs 45 pounds LESS than a GT4!

I like the idea of the 3.8 but to me, that roof is a deal breaker.
It's the principal.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
it is a better top than the old spyder but not as beautiful.
Would love to have just the stretched piece as the top with nothing else...
That was my favorite part of the 987: that you could put the cool looking top half on and leave the rear window and bottom part in the trunk. You get the feeling of driving a convertible without baking in the sun. Genius.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Yes. And I look forward to reading / watching the reviews comparing the new 981 Spyder to the 987.2. What will Chris Harris say? Hmm...
Old 04-03-2015, 08:42 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yes. And I look forward to reading / watching the reviews comparing the new 981 Spyder to the 987.2. What will Chris Harris say? Hmm...
You know exactly what he is going to say with the extra HP "wheeeeeeee!"
Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts

I also don't get the point of the flaps other than to maintain the same look. I wonder if you could have the black trim that the flaps hook into painted the same color as the car. I think that trim piece breaks up the look of the rear. The hinge mechanism also seems flimsy and complicated. They essentially took the electric roof and removed the power motors and insulation. I'm still partial to the original but I know most have no interest in dealing with the 3 minute removal/install process.
Agreed! I think those big pieces of black plastic disrupt the flow of the car. If they were body painted, they would look much better. Hopefully there is an option for the Chrome Spyder badge to be removed as well
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Not digging them painted... Lines are weird.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by 987720
Not digging them painted... Lines are weird.
What about the roll hoops painted body color which is one of the options?

Quick Reply: New Boxster Spyder Top Operaton Videos