Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New versus Old Cayman Driving Feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New versus Old Cayman Driving Feel

Hi all. I am a new user here. I joined recently because I have been getting serious about buying my first Porsche (most likely a used version). I'm looking for some feedback from Cayman owners or if anyone has driven various types of Porsches.

I test drove the new 2014 Cayman and Cayman S and was not sure how to respond based on my driving experience. I test drove the car in Northern New Jersey, which means the roads are quite bad. When I drove the Cayman S I didn't get much feeling with the steering (it just felt different). Please don't get me wrong, the car feels great, its tight and there is a HUGE difference in the firmness of the suspension between the Non-S vs. the S.

To help you understand where I am coming from, I currently drive an E46 M3 with the ZCP package, which has a tighter (14.5 to 1) steering rack ratio. Driving this car feels very connected to the road and allows for more feeling in the steering.

However I was not sure I loved the way the Cayman S felt. Is it that the suspension is so good that I did not feel the road imperfections? Also, did the older 2012 models have a better steering feel? I read so many times that these are the last true driver's car, but I am not sure yet if I am completely sold on the newest version. Does anyone have any experience between the two and can help me identify what might be a better choice for me?

Other question: comparatively does anyone know if a first gen 997 GT3 feels any better from the steering and feedback perspective? These are the two types of cars I am currently looking into and have not been able to find a GT3 local yet to test drive. I understand this question is very subjective, but I would like to hear feedback on what more people enjoy using on the road and track.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently bought a 2008S with 13k mi. And absolutely love the way it drives. I have not driven a 14 or a GT3 though.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 379 Posts

Have driven all; owned 987.2 Cayman S and currently a 997.2 GT3.

In order of steering feel:
GT3>987.2 CS>981 CS

In terms of suspension feel:
GT3>981 CS>987.2 CS

To me, the GT3 has the most feel of all the cars mentioned. It's in another world altogether and I love the Cayman platform.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The steering is different in the newer Porsches (991s and 981s) because its now electric instead of hydraulically assisted. That is the way all cars are headed. If you like your steering in your M3 keep it. Its not likely to be better in BMWs of present or future.

I owned a 2008 Boxster RS60 and it was a really nice car. However, the 2014 Cayman S is superior in so many ways, that for me the decision to go from the 987S to the 981S was easy. The steering for some is the only part of the car that could use a touch of improvement, but I greatly prefer the new car's suspension and steering. Yes, you could feel lots of bumps in the road on the old cars, but to me my 987RS60 always seemed to lose a bit of composure on very bumpy roads. The suspension and chassis are a huge step forward in the 981 over the 987 (also note there are 3 suspensions and corresponding ride heights), 1. standard & height, 2. then PASM which is 10mm lower, and 3. the X73 sport suspension which is 20mm lower than standard ). I went with PASM and its better than the original generation of PASM in my 08 987. Its sporty when I want it to be and yet it can still soak up bumps better with 20" alloys than my old car with 19s. With some of the roads here in the Northeast I was a bit concerned about going 20mm lower than the standard setting.

I haven't driven a 997GT3, but that's definitely a more hardcore vehicle and maybe not something I'd want to drive everyday. Especially, if you are in NJ, where the roads aren't very good. I have driven a 997.2 S, and it was a really nice car, but I felt it was too heavy, and not as agile as the 981 Boxster S and Cayman S. For me the 981 S, be it Cayman or Boxster felt more nimble and fun to drive.

Also, if you search the forum you will see there have been several guys that have gone from 997S and 997 C4S to 981 Boxster S and Cayman S. I believe there is also a guy who went from a 997.1GT3 to a new Cayman or Boxster S, I forget which he chose.

No car can be everything to everyone, and if it didn't make you smile after your drive, maybe its not the right car for you. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
The steering is different in the newer Porsches (991s and 981s) because its now electric instead of hydraulically assisted. That is the way all cars are headed. If you like your steering in your M3 keep it. Its not likely to be better in BMWs of present or future.

I owned a 2008 Boxster RS60 and it was a really nice car. However, the 2014 Cayman S is superior in so many ways, that for me the decision to go from the 987S to the 981S was easy. The steering for some is the only part of the car that could use a touch of improvement, but I greatly prefer the new car's suspension and steering. Yes, you could feel lots of bumps in the road on the old cars, but to me my 987RS60 always seemed to lose a bit of composure on very bumpy roads. The suspension and chassis are a huge step forward in the 981 over the 987 (also note there are 3 suspensions and corresponding ride heights), 1. standard & height, 2. then PASM which is 10mm lower, and 3. the X73 sport suspension which is 20mm lower than standard ). I went with PASM and its better than the original generation of PASM in my 08 987. Its sporty when I want it to be and yet it can still soak up bumps better with 20" alloys than my old car with 19s. With some of the roads here in the Northeast I was a bit concerned about going 20mm lower than the standard setting.

I haven't driven a 997GT3, but that's definitely a more hardcore vehicle and maybe not something I'd want to drive everyday. Especially, if you are in NJ, where the roads aren't very good. I have driven a 997.2 S, and it was a really nice car, but I felt it was too heavy, and not as agile as the 981 Boxster S and Cayman S. For me the 981 S, be it Cayman or Boxster felt more nimble and fun to drive.

Also, if you search the forum you will see there have been several guys that have gone from 997S and 997 C4S to 981 Boxster S and Cayman S. I believe there is also a guy who went from a 997.1GT3 to a new Cayman or Boxster S, I forget which he chose.

No car can be everything to everyone, and if it didn't make you smile after your drive, maybe its not the right car for you. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.
I am one of those guys...went from a 997.1 to a 997.2S to a 997.2 C4S and just recently to a 981 Cayman S! Have drive a GT3 RS 3.8 and GT3 RS 4.0 [close friends] and I will say the Cayman is one of my favorites. The RS 4.0 was the best Porsche I've ever driven and love that car but it is really too much for daily driving and on the streets. Much more of a hard/drivers car...and as good as it is I felt like I was sling shotting from stoplight to stoplight in it if that makes any sense. It just has soo much power and torque available and wants to go fast that normal driving was very hard...even on the highway you felt like you were in loose your license territory at the drop of your right foot or if you got inattentive. Also a GT3 does draw a lot of attention...sometimes the wrong kind from other drivers and the occasional peace officer.

Why did I go from a 997 to a Cayman? Many have asked me and basically the 997.2 is a great car but it is heavy and you really need to get it going too to enjoy and challenge yourself. The new 991 is just too big and IMHO the price doesn't justify the leap from a 997.2 up to the 991 when you take into account the change in size and driving feel. Its more of a GT now and I wanted a drivers car that I could carve curves and was agile and also fun to drive and sounded great both in within the legal limits of the road and also at the above the line/law/speed limit occasions. To me the Cayman S fits the bill. Only other thing/option is the Cayman/Boxster GTS which are very nice but you can also get 98.9% of those options it has on a properly outfitted Cayman S without the badge and a few aesthetic options.

Good luck with your choice...drive em all and get as many opinions as you can.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 AM
ML///
Racer

Thanks for the replies - great feedback. Sorry I forgot to mention, the car will not be a daily driver; however, the feedback has helped remind me 'what if I had to use the car for local errands'.

I hope my question did not offend those who have purchase the new '14 Cayman. The 2014 a great car and it definitely drives with easy. Heck, I even got in some heel-toe downshifting on the test drive. It’s pretty amazing how small the car feels, but when you park it next to a modern car it’s pretty robust. Perhaps it is the electric steering that was making the difference. I guess I just had no idea what to expect when I went to test drive the car.

My first order of business is to try and find a Cayman S from 2008-2012 and see how that feels on the road. My understanding is the 2012 was the last year the Caymans with hydraulic assist, so this could be more to my liking. Then I will try and test drive a 997.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

The 997 GT3 will have the best steering feel and feedback of those you mentioned. Also, it's among the last of the best driver's cars and will likely continue to be highly desirable. It would be perfect for the uses you mentioned.

I would put the 987 Cayman R or S (or Boxster Spyder or S) next on the list. My Cayman R is by far the most fun car to drive that I've owned. It's also very practical if need be. If I were looking at a 987 platform, I'd also include the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder - they are two of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:38 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The 997 GT3 will have the best steering feel and feedback of those you mentioned. Also, it's among the last of the best driver's cars and will likely continue to be highly desirable. It would be perfect for the uses you mentioned.

I would put the 987 Cayman R or S (or Boxster Spyder or S) next on the list. My Cayman R is by far the most fun car to drive that I've owned. It's also very practical if need be. If I were looking at a 987 platform, I'd also include the Cayman R and Boxster Spyder - they are two of the best driver's cars Porsche has ever made.
+1 I couldn't agree more
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 AM
ML///
Racer

Quick update: I had the chance to drive a 997.1 (2007) GT3 yesterday (alittle over 11K on the clock). I would say this is exactly what I would imagine a proper road/track car should feel. I made sure to hit bumps/cracks in the road and, much to my liking, I did feel those vibrations in the steering wheel. The exhaust note was pretty awesome for a completely stock car. It would take magic for my M3 to sounds something like that. But a part of me wonders the reason it felt so go is because it was barely driven. So far its at the top of my list.

I'm going to keep searching to see if I can get my hands on a Cayman from 2012 (possibly try to see if I can find an R) to test drive.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM
TTRob
Instructor

I currently own a 981 CS. I owned an '07 997.1 GT3. With all due respect to the CS, it can't hold a candle to the GT3. The GT3's performance, feel and sound are on a completely different level. The CS is, of course, a more comfortable and easy-to-drive daily driver. Since you're not looking for a daily driver, the GT3 is the one. It's a much more exciting and involving car. I haven't driven a Cayman R, but I doubt it's on the GT3's level, either. The aggressive handling may be there, but it's still way down on power and sound. Good luck whatever you decide, there isn't a bad car in the bunch.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:15 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 465 Posts

If you are not looking for a daily driver and just a majority track car then yes...a GT3 may fit the bill but if you are going to drive it daily then I'd say a GT3 will likely prove too much over time and I'd seen other opportunities. But any of the Cayman's and Boxster variants (S, R, GTS) will fit either bill and also be something you can actually have fun in and enjoy to your limits as I doubt unless you're Walther Rohl you'd ever get the best of a GT3 or any other of the RS GT3 or super sport Porsche variants.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 PM
ML///
Racer

Hi everyone. It's been over a year and I'm getting closer to actually committing. I have a few more questions about the 987 vs 981. Because I need to be realistic to myself and the car's use: have those with 981CS that have tracked it (HPDE) had any issues? I was told recently that because I want to take the car to driving events that I should redirect my attention to a 987.2 because the body work will end up costing me less should there be an incident. However, I can't get past the prices for used 987s with 40k miles on them. I would happily pay $15k more to have a brand new car than one with 40-55k miles on the clock. Would you guys agree or am I really missing something here?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:24 PM
matttheboatman
Three Wheelin'

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts

I've owned 986 / 981 S / 981 GTS / 981 GT4.

All Caymans are great cars, some better than others.

It is simple to me - absolutely get a 981S/GTS X73 suspension if you can find one reasonably priced.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM
ML///
Racer

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I've owned 986 / 981 S / 981 GTS / 981 GT4.

All Caymans are great cars, some better than others.

It is simple to me - absolutely get a 981S/GTS X73 suspension if you can find one reasonably priced.
Would you pick the S or the GTS if you had to choose? I am trying my best to really understand the differences of these two versions, but the way I look at it from what I know is the GTS is a more bells and whistles version of the S with a different fascia and tune.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 350 Posts

Get the GTS if you can. Every little bit of HP helps on these cars.

Quick Reply: New versus Old Cayman Driving Feel