Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cayman Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cayman Track Car

Guys,

I'm contemplating on purchasing a Cayman S for a track car. Only a few track days (less than 10). In the past I had a spec Miata and a GT3 with a trailer and the whole 9 yards for the track. Those days are over (I hope). Too much work with the towing, loading and unloading. I currently have a Stradale for my weekend fun and to get that track feeling.

My concerns are getting the best handling car for the track and street comfort for mostly some short local runs and comfortable enough to drive too and from the track while towing a small tire trailer and that is a bit more street friendly and not as raw as the GT3 (mine had motons and was lowered so felt every expansion joint in the road).
I will be adding sport bucket seats and harness bar. I have no issues with the sport bucket seats for local driving as they were in my GT3.

My choices: 2008 987S sport, 2012 R or a 981S. I'm leaning towards the sport because of the low cost and fear factor on the track of crashing an expensive car.

Looking for current and past owners of any of these cars to chime in.

Thanks,
GB
Old 01-05-2014, 02:59 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

I'd look newer than 08 to get the latest motor (no IMSB, better oiling, DFI in the S). Cayman R is great- I have one. Needs more camber and you have to get LCAs or camber plates to get more than -1deg. Many dislike the brake feel and upgrade to gt3 master. I haven't done that yet. I don't trailer tires but have seen it done with a Cayman. I drive about an hour each way to closest track on MPSS or AD08s. The R suspension is firm but not harsh imo. Another plus for the R is that while it may take awhile to locate one the sport buckets were "standard". I think the current new price for the seats if you retrofit is like $9k!

Last edited by zedcat; 01-05-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The 09 and later S is definitely what I would focus on. The R is nice as it gives you the lightweight doors, buckets (if you can find them) and the sport suspension so you won't need to do too much other than what zedcat noted.

I would also plan on changing the master cylinder. Even on the street I find them to be too soft and not confidence inspiring. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Something like this might work:
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-cayman-r.html

Otherwise, I agree with the others - a 2009 or newer Cayman S or a Cayman R. The '09 and newer have the new engine without the issues of the prior engine and no need for the oiling mods. The '09 and newer 'S' also has the new DFI engine.

I've driven mine for up to 5 hours to tracks in the sport bucket seats. No problems at all. The seats are very comfortable and supportive.

Best of luck with your search!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by zedcat
I'd look newer than 08 to get the latest motor (no IMSB, better oiling, DFI in the S). Cayman R is great- I have one. Needs more camber and you have to get LCAs or camber plates to get more than -1deg. Many dislike the brake feel and upgrade to gt3 master. I haven't done that yet. I don't trailer tires but have seen it done with a Cayman. I drive about an hour each way to closest track on MPSS or AD08s. The R suspension is firm but not harsh imo. Another plus for the R is that while it may take awhile to locate one the sport buckets were "standard". I think the current new price for the seats if you retrofit is like $9k!
Great post. Thanks. The MPSS are the best. I have a pair of sport buckets in my garage. waiting to be used.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Something like this might work:
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-cayman-r.html

Otherwise, I agree with the others - a 2009 or newer Cayman S or a Cayman R. The '09 and newer have the new engine without the issues of the prior engine and no need for the oiling mods. The '09 and newer 'S' also has the new DFI engine.

I've driven mine for up to 5 hours to tracks in the sport bucket seats. No problems at all. The seats are very comfortable and supportive.

Best of luck with your search!
Very nice setup. Your car maybe just what I'm looking for. Looks like you did your research in your setup. When you get some time can you send me some closeups of the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels and let me know of any road rash. email is: soso587@aol.com. I'm not looking for a garage queen just trying to get a feel of its condition. I do plan on tracking as you do. My GT3 has the usual road rash behind the tires and on the rockers. I cleared them after I had them resprayed and that worked out pretty good.

TY
GB
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by firefisher

Very nice setup. Your car maybe just what I'm looking for. Looks like you did your research in your setup. When you get some time can you send me some closeups of the rocker panels and behind the rear wheels and let me know of any road rash. email is: soso587@aol.com. I'm not looking for a garage queen just trying to get a feel of its condition. I do plan on tracking as you do. My GT3 has the usual road rash behind the tires and on the rockers. I cleared them after I had them resprayed and that worked out pretty good.

TY
GB
Another nice street prepared Cayman is Marc and Mindy's.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Schmidts Cat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would, and did, go with an 09 S. Mine was 30,000 dollars less than a new R, and only had 10k mi. That 30 k buys a lot of parts and upgrades! The delta now is more like 20k, but still, if you plan to mod it.... BTW, I went with PSS9s, plenty comfortable for DD, and rest on track.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 AM
firefisher
Instructor

After some research I narrowed my search down to the 2012 Cayman R and the 2014 981 Cayman S. Both with PDK. (I love manuals on the track but I'm not the best heel to toe shifter). I'm a lefty. Some of us get confused with things like this. I think our brains are in wrong.
Today I test drove them both back to back on a local road with lights so max speed 85mph and a small few mile trip on a back road stretch with some nice curves. Both had PDK and both had Sport Chrono. S on 20 inch wheels R on 19 inch wheels and sport exhaust. This was my first time in a cayman.

First Impression on the S. I love the styling. I actually like it better than the 911. The interior is very refined almost like my wife's Audi A7 and my Range Rover Evoque. The seats were 14 way adjustable with heat and the electronic tilt /telescoping wheel with the paddles is thick and adjusts to a very comfortable position. The driving view is ample from the windshield, both sides and rear. Changing lanes is a breeze. I'm average height 6'0'' 205lbs and felt at ease in the car. Started her up. Quiet. Reminded me of Yamaha 350 outboards (Almost forget their on so quite). After letting car warm up, started on my way. The gas pedal felt weird at first, had to be really pushed, very stiff. Once the tires warmed up, I took off a little up to 85 mph max. (Just before this a red GTR with a girl driver was pulled over on the shoulder by a cop). The steering is beautifully weighted, balanced and crisp. Felt very tight. I felt almost no roll when I shimmied the wheel abruptly from left to right. Brilliant. Hit a few hiccups in the road on purpose and the shocks were excellent. Did not even feel them or make the car jolt. I was very impressed. Brakes felt find but this drive was not a true test for break performance. Had one incident when I had to slow down fast when a car pulled out and it was good. I'm not concerned about the breaks. They are Porsche's. I already know what needs to be done already to improve the R 's breaks. I would have to track the S for a day to really find out what needs to be improved if anything. The S has good pickup and took off nicely and off the light form a stop it was adequate. I understand its a cayman S 3.4 liter and I'm not comparing it to the 911. But for what it is, the speed from a stop is very competent for the track. I would only really need this for exiting the pit anyways. I'm sure at the track on the long straights, I will be waving off the GT3, GTR, Z06 ,458 you get the point. But after the drive on the back roads, I can tell the Cayman S will be holding its own and pushing the big boys out of the way in the turns. I was very impressed with the handling. I love the steering and it put a smile on my face wishing I could test in out on a track at that very moment.
The PDK in normal mode makes the car rev at the 2000 - 3000 mark almost is all the gears. Feels like its bogging out. I understand this is to conserve fuel. In sport mode it improves and 7th gear drops to 5th (higher rpms better sounding) and in sport plus drops to 4th gear (sounds the way it should like a 6-speed. The way to drive the car fun is in manual and shift with the paddles in either sport or sport plus mode.

Now to the R. This thing reminds me so much of the 997.1 GT3 RS in the orange and the green (I pasted one up along time ago, big mistake) that its scary. I don't want to say a mini me GT3 RS but I just did. Doesn't feel that way when your driving it though. Its a cool looking car. This one in particular had black rims. The interior again is all GT3 RS. Not like the luxury S. It has more of a track car old style look. I like it. The line of sight was same as 981. The seats were not the sport buckets and felt less superior to the 981's seats. I would have to change out the seats for sure. The steering is beautifully weighted and crisp as well. The car did roll way more than the 981 when wheel turned abruptly. It was way more loose that I would have expected. I would add sway bars for sure. The sport exhaust was hard to tell any difference over the stock exhaust that came with the S. Once the car was warmed up I did notice upon down shifting a sound like a baffle closing or opening not really sure. When the S was in sport plus, the sounds between it and the R were unnoticeable to me, but I was in the car. I would add a BGM or some other exhaust to either one.

The R with the softer gas pedal took off about the same as the S. It was a little looser but have a great feel. O to 85 both cars felt the same on the straight road. The R handled the back road flawlessly but not as tight as the S, but very close. The R felt less refined but very very stable and was a true pleasure again with that GT3 feeling. I had that same smile and wish for track time feeling immediately. The R did not have any of that bogging out sound and feeling as the S did. Again it felt more like a tracker.

In conclusion. Both cars are tops, both fast and fun.. Both cars are very capable as DD's. I feel the S is a little sharper. I'm a past GT3 owner and both have the right amount of softness for the road and the stiffness for the track. My GT3 was lowered, had modified exhaust and motons all around so every expansion joint in the road made you feel like you were in a stage coach but the car handled like a Rotax Kart on the track. Best I have every been in.

The S in my opinion is simply stunning both outside and inside. The interior is rich and modern. Better than the R on both accounts. But, and I say but, because the R looks like a race car it looks like it belongs on the track not at a fancy restaurant parking lot were the S would fit in perfectly next to the F-cars , Lambo's , etc.

I have not been on the track with either but from this little drive and from past experience and seeing them at the track, the S and the R in my opinion would be great track capable cars to both drive to the track and drive on the track and have the ability to give you that race car feeling without having to take it to the next level. (the tower, trailer, spares, tuning and plenty of $$$$$$). Both are exciting and capable and by no means harsh on the road. If they were the same price I would take the 981S.

I am finding that the price difference between them isn't that far apart because I'm not looking for convenience options in the S I'm looking for performance options. I will try for a nice tasty R first and if I can't find a good deal I'll go for the S. I have been doing my research on all the R's out there. Found a few prospects already. It feels exciting to be in the hunt.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM
firefisher
Instructor

Just want to give an update as to where I am currently at with my hunt for a Cayman 981 S and/or a CR, both with PDK. I have found some nice deals out there by both private party's and dealers alike and also found some sellers that think they have gold buried in the trunk.

The CR: I was really trying to get a CR first as it is the least costly between the two and aside from different body and interior styles, I find both to drive fairly similar with the edge going to the 981. I have found prices ranging from $61,500 to $73,900 for the CR. with $65,000 being the average selling price for the PDK cars. Factoring in options, sport bucket seats, mileage and CPO, I have yet to find a great deal in my opinion to appease my wants for a CR. But I am very close on a handful. The Sport Exhaust is a must for me so cars without it get $4000 added to the price.(that's the cost to have it installed and wired in with a switch). Most CR's have about 1 1/2 to 2 years left on the warranty so getting a CPO car is top priority. I called a few aftermarket warranty companies and I could not find one that would warranty a cayman (considered exotic car and not doable). If anyone knows of one please enlighten me. I have 4 cars in the pipeline and made fair offers with each one, but we are just about $2000 off on making a deal. I think the sellers really want to wait till the spring because they feel that is when they will get their price. I don't agree with this theory 100%. In the spring more cars will come available and warranties will start to become an issue for some potential buyers. So far in my search, sellers of the CR are upgrading if you will to the 991 and the 981.

The 981: Its hard to find a used one with sport steering wheel, PDK, PASM or Sports suspension, PTV and Sport Chrono and 20" Carrera wheels. I did find a couple; one new & one used but the prices was too high on one and the other was too early for me to realize it was a good deal (now I know). So at a minimum of 5% off a build sheet with all the options I want and a basic interior with no convenience options, the build sheet seems to be my best option. But just yesterday I found a nice unadvertised 981 CS with just about everything I want (no PTV) and everything I would put in a CS if I didn't care about the cost (MSRP 88,875) for $74k CPO. I have a deposit on it and will look at it next week, deal pending upon inspection.
If none of the CR sellers change their mind and accept my offer(s), this CS may very well be my next toy.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM
mtmilam
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you going to mount a Trailer hitch for the tire Carrier?? I'd be interested in know how.?
Thanks
Mark
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Great story! It's always fun hearing about someone's journey to picking up a porsche; if you're on rennlist then there's just a passion (re obsession) with learning everything about the car, and reading about your journey reminds me of my own a few months ago when I picked up my spyder. On paper the most impractical large purchase I ever made, since I had a baby on the way and didn't need another car. But in reality I love driving the thing, and every time a fire her up I am reminded it was a great decision.

I drove the 987 and 981 S cars, and you're descriptions are right on. I will say though that the open top of the spyder adds another dimension to when the sports exhaust is engaged; I can't remember if the R I drove had the exhaust or not. Also, you need to drive an R with the sports buckets before deciding on a car: they go for 8-9k which is a significant amount, and does change the experience.

I'm surprised you're not able to get a better deal on the R; when I was looking at this time last year I was able to find them in the low 60's.

Quick Reply: Best Cayman Track Car