Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im getting a Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:58 AM
mdl04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im getting a Cayman

I just sold my 955T and you can't undo driving/owning a Porsche. Ill be looking for a DD candidate that will see traffic and LOTS of bumps. Years 06-08 at the moment. I will not be tracking the car (for now) but could see it happening later in its life.

1. Ride. What's the seat of the pants ride quality in a base vrs S? The area I live has a ton of concrete with asphalt over the top and the expansion joints to go along with them. By comparison, a Subaru WRX's ride is just stiff without poise. MY 995T would be unacceptable in sport mode yet in comfort would be too squishy.

2. Transmission. Im going to be stuck in traffic…plain and simple. How long do the TIP's last and does having one eliminate the money needed for a clutch every 30kish? 5spd vrs 6spd How does this difference play out while driving?

3. Options. Anything you guys wish you had or didn't care for?

4. Cost. Waterpump, clutch, IMS, RMS What else should I factor in? Ill be doing most of the wrenching myself, is this practical without a lift?

5.Cost to run vrs 996/997?

This will be an exercise in discipline if I can hold out long enough to purchase this properly….Route 100 in Vermont is calling!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what is your budget for purchase
Old 12-02-2013, 12:24 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Still deciding my budget. For now, under 30.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

imo you may find [being very patient ] a base 09 cay with pdk [lightly optioned] in the low 30,s and it would fill your wants. a gen2 base on 17 inch rims and pdk will make life easier
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Hmm..maybe. At this point I'm trying to figure out if a base model is correct for me. I know every one says get the S/T (most you can etc) but Ill be in traffic and Im NOT interested in a HP champ as I would like to use all of the car. I was originally looking at Boxster's (and their lower price) but can't seem to settle on the look.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a base 2007 Cayman with manual transmission, full-power seats, and 17" wheels. I commuted a couple of times a week from Marin to SF financial district. Believe me when I tell you the streets of SF are pretty bad, especially if you blast the commute lane on Bay street with its deep drains, manholes and broken pavement. The suspension soaked up the bumps very well with absolutely no harshness or (seeming) compression into the bumpstops. The engine was a gem and very fun to keep on the boil. My favorite commute car I have ever driven. The only time I wished for more power was during track days - wished for more rubber too.

I did not buy mine after the lease end, though I had planned too. As there were a number of unresolved issues and the buy-out price was above market.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 AM
mdl04
Advanced

2008 26k miles power leather seats but otherwise a NO option car. 2 owner with the second being serviced by the selling dealer. Any thoughts on fair value? Does anyone NOT have the heated seats and feel like chiming in?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Just got back from the test drive and two things stood out. The base with 17's has an unexpectedly plush ride. It's been a long time since I've had that much tire on a rim so I'm thinking a slightly larger wheel wouldn't hurt too much. The other is the clutch….. I just couldn't get it right, granted it's been a long time since I've had a manual but to smell the clutch was a bit embarrassing. Now we wait.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I remember I "worked" the clutch a bit on my initial test drive, and I was coming straight from a WRX. But, I did get use to it quickly. The 5-speed transmission was a bit nothchy (compared to my prior WRX and Miata), and I always started blipped the throttle before shifting into first and/or before releasing the clutch from a dead-stop (stoplight). The fly-wheel separated from the clutch plate on my '07 <1,000 easy break-in miles, so the dealer replaced the whole assembly - was a known issue in the early '07's.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Not sure about the base, but the S has a delay switch which alters the throttle mapping while the clutch is disengaged. Sort of like the clutch delay valves on modern BMW's. I have disabled the switch on my CS and the clutch is much more in line with 'normal' cars which I have driven my entire life.

Good luck with your chase/purchase.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Done. 2008 25k miles 2 owner dealer maint with no issues ever. Spoke with both owners. Dealer took it in for 27 and then put new tires on along with a 40k service. I paid 30. The car is pristine. I know I could have waited for an 09 to come around or tried to find someone under duress, but the history and condition mattered the most to me.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdl04
Done. 2008 25k miles 2 owner dealer maint with no issues ever. Spoke with both owners. Dealer took it in for 27 and then put new tires on along with a 40k service. I paid 30. The car is pristine. I know I could have waited for an 09 to come around or tried to find someone under duress, but the history and condition mattered the most to me.

Great news and great deal!! Post a few pictures when you get a chance
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Delay switch?

Originally Posted by RareAir
Not sure about the base, but the S has a delay switch which alters the throttle mapping while the clutch is disengaged. Sort of like the clutch delay valves on modern BMW's. I have disabled the switch on my CS and the clutch is much more in line with 'normal' cars which I have driven my entire life.
RareAir, can you elaborate more on this delay switch? Is there a source that has more information about what the switch does and what disabling it is all about?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on pulling trigger!

PICS!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 PM
RareAir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spokayman
RareAir, can you elaborate more on this delay switch? Is there a source that has more information about what the switch does and what disabling it is all about?
PM sent

Quick Reply: Im getting a Cayman