Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rick Betterley's Cayman Track Car Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rick Betterley's Cayman Track Car Build

I have started building our new Cayman S track car; for those of you that would like to follow along, the thread is in the racing forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...car-build.html
I am a devoted Porsche DE instructor (250 track days); always in a 911 platform, now moving to the Cayman.
History - bought my first Porsche in 1986 (Guards Red/tan interior cabriolet) and wandered into DE starting in 1995 (I think). Did single day events at New Hampshire for 4 years. Car was pristine, life was good, decided to get a semi-track car.
Bought a real nice 1984 911 (also a 3.2, also red) with better shocks, anti-sway bars, track pads, R-compound tires, and a rollbar. A trailer and tow vehicle. Ran that car for 7 years eventually becoming an instructor. Did 30 track days a year for a few years. On the haul back from a November VIR track event (I live in MA) thought hard about how I was running last in my instructor group and the urge to get more overcame me. Thought about swapping in a 3.6 motor but mechanic said no, car was too nice, don't cut it up.
Good advice; I bought an already built 993 club racer that was perfect; stock motor, shorter gears, full welded cage, and best of all - a club race suspension. Had a blast, car was dead reliable, and beautiful. Cared for to the nth degree. (car is for sale - link in my signature below - and there is a pic attached)
Now, 7 years later, I am moving from the perfect car to what I expect will be another perfect car. Being built by Spencer *** (Speed Sport Tuning in Danbury CT).
Donor car is a 2009 Cayman S with 8,500 miles; 6-speed in Meteor Gray. Really too nice to gut but I liked the idea of a fresh car to build from.
If you'd like to follow the build please follow the link and offer comments or suggestions there or here.
I feel like a kid at Christmas and I get to build my own toy.
Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to follow this build. I might be shortly behind you
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by aero997c2s
Cant wait to follow this build. I might be shortly behind you
Welcome aboard! There is a lot of Cayman track car activity and loads of knowledge about how best to do it.
Keep us posted.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Car is back from the cage builder and ready for cage painting. Interior needs a bit of touch up where the factory interior covered up less-than-perfect paint.
I didn't change the interior color to a lighter color in a feeble attempt to save $$.
I can't believe we are carving up this perfect 2009 CS.
Attached Images     
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

DFI cayman builds are one of my favorites
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Me too! Speed Sports Tuning has been amazing. Spencer completely gets my interests and is good at educating me about what we are doing and why we are doing it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
+1 Looks great so far
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question about your cage... From the angle I cannot tell if you tied the drivers seat mount to the cage. Did you do this? If not, is there a reason?

Good luck on the build. While I have been away for the track for time now, builds like yours are the type of path I am considering to get back out.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
Quick question about your cage... From the angle I cannot tell if you tied the drivers seat mount to the cage. Did you do this? If not, is there a reason?

Good luck on the build. While I have been away for the track for time now, builds like yours are the type of path I am considering to get back out.
Thanks re the build; it is going great.
Suggest you contact Spencer *** of Speed Sports Tuning re specifics of the cage. He has done a ton of development work to get it right and is much more knowledgeable than me.
Get back to the track!

Quick Reply: Rick Betterley's Cayman Track Car Build