Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
kpg1945
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

First time Boxster owner with a couple of questions. Own a 2013 and understand that spark plugs are to be replaced at 40.000 miles. Question 1 - isn't that a bit early? Question 2 - heard that the engine needs to be removed to get at the plugs. Please tell me that isn't true. If not, how does one get at them - remove the wheels?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,405 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Engine out for the new 981? I doubt it. I hope not, even more. Interesting to find out for sure.

Make sure you understand the proper maintenance interval, too. It might not just be mileage based, it might, and usually is, time-based too. Something like 4 years. Porsche does this to lessen the chances of a seized plug even for low mileage cars.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the plugs changed by my Porsche dealership on my 08 Boxster S at the 4 year service interval (as required by manual even though only 27000 miles). I looked at them and they still had plenty of life left. If I had to do it again I would consider pulling and inspecting them myself and re-installing with some anti-sieze on the threads. Of course you would need a jack and some stands to get access from underneath. Highly recommend Jackpoint Jackstands. Cost for plug replacement at the dealership was real close to the cost of these stands.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,405 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
I looked at them and they still had plenty of life left.
Only tells part of the story. What about the gap? How much had it changed??

You did the right thing by changing the plugs at 4 years. Good job.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

But has anyone actually changed plugs themselves on the 987 or 981?

If so, tell us the details pls.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by perretar
Had the plugs changed by my Porsche dealership on my 08 Boxster S at the 4 year service interval (as required by manual even though only 27000 miles). I looked at them and they still had plenty of life left. If I had to do it again I would consider pulling and inspecting them myself and re-installing with some anti-sieze on the threads. Of course you would need a jack and some stands to get access from underneath. Highly recommend Jackpoint Jackstands. Cost for plug replacement at the dealership was real close to the cost of these stands.
It is not a mileage based interval alone. Time plays a role. The concern is given the climatic conditions in some regions the plugs could seize. The engines are located at a particularly dirty location that gets tire splash.

I always have the plugs changed either due to their mileage or a few cases, well, one case when I bought a used car, due to the elapsed time.

If I were going to the trouble of removing the plugs to inspect them I would replace them.

I do not like to reinstall used plugs. The new plugs come with a special thread treatment/coating that ensures the plug threads do not interfere in any material way with the critical heat transfer from the plug to the head.

Anti-seize is not a suitable thread lube for plugs. The anti-seize works its way out and can foul the 02 sensors and ruin them.

Also, the anti-seize as it works its way out can leave the plug loose in the head. Maybe not loose enough (yet) to leak but in the meantime heat transfer is compromised and the plug can run hotter than it would otherwise. Plug life can be shortened. The head is also at risk from damage to its threads due to the migration of anti seize that then provides voids into which moisture can enter and lead to accelerated corrosion.

My advise is to change the plugs when they are due on miles or time and be done with it. If you find you are changing the plugs on time rather than miles I would suggest you need to drive the car more.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Macster thank you for the detailed post. I have wondered about the use of anti seize on plugs for a long time.

I picked up some high temperature ptfe based anti seize from Griots a few years ago specifically for plug installation but never used it. I didn't realize that plugs already have a special coating on them to prevent seizing.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
But has anyone actually changed plugs themselves on the 987 or 981?

If so, tell us the details pls.
I changed out my plugs this weekend. It was pretty easy, albeit time consuming. Just remove the wheel. Take off the two plastic liners inside the wheel well, and the sparkplug connectors are now exposed. Two allen head screws for each. Remove those, and the electrical connector clips that attach to the top, and then unscrew the sparkplugs.

Was way easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part is just creating a combination of extensions and a u-joint to reach the inner most plugs. But it's not difficult. Just time consuming. Didn't use a lift, just a couple of floor jacks on the lowest setting.

Also changed the oil and air filter. All in all, based on this experience, it appears that maintenance on this car is a piece of cake as long as you're willing to try.

The best part of the experience was that I was doing this in the auto hobby shop on a Marine base. So you don't really see many Porsches around. Heard all kinds of comments and questions, such as:

1) How do you spell Porsche?
2) I like your oil coolers up front.
3) Why do you need to take off the rear wheels to do the sparkplugs?
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs