Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How rare is 6spd/sport bucket/PSE combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

vetman: That car was originally at POTML, but now it's at Don Rosen.

I was aware of Alan's car, but now I don't see it in the marketplace when I search for spyder. I PM'd him, so maybe I'll be able to buy his.

I'll admit, not too long ago I promised I'd never buy another silver car. :-) This was after having twice bought WRXs that were silver because that's what was available when what I really wanted was WRX blue...

When it comes to spyders the color choices are more limited. I think I like blue the most, followed by white (And I don't normally like white cars!). My least favorite is red since the hooks for the roof don't stand out against the red the way they do with other colors.

In some ways I suppose this sounds like a repeat of my WRX experience, but there's a value in buying from an active and respected Rennlister. Plus silver has a history on Porsche spyders.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I just did a 3.5 hour road trip (each way) over the weekend in the Spyder. Outside Temperatures going out ranged from 94 - 101. With the bikini top only and windows up you are more than comfortable and it doesn't get hot in the cabin. The top came off when the temperatures dropped below 95 and yes it was a bit hot but not uncomfortable.
I also did about 7 hours of road tripping yesterday in my Miata going to Lime Rock through the back roads of Connecticut - but I was very glad to have my '12 soft top. That's seriously the best manual top ever - I can put it up and down in about 2 seconds flat even while moving... And I had to do that several times when it started pouring. I had the only NC (current model type) in our group and everyone else either had to get much wetter hopping out to put their tops up or they had to just keep them up during the breaks in the weather.

I did a drive earlier this summer when it was 98 degrees and it was pretty hot in the Miata even with the tan leather. We blasted the AC and then it was decent, though.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 PM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supagoat

I like leather in my Miata because I can wipe my sweat off it easily... But it sounds like alcantara's pretty similar to clean. Cool. Well, maybe I'll pursue this one. Thanks!
Pretty sure that car has been sold
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

Afshin and Vetman, thank you for the plugs...but the car is no longer in my possession...I traded it in last week to Symbolic in La Jolla.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 70 Posts

Another idea, I know options out there are already scarce, but if you do see a car you like, color combo and 6spd, you can always add the sport buckets and PSE yourself later. Not the cheapest way to do it, but it is possible.

Here's a rare blue one, add the seats later..

http://checkered-flag.porschedealer....94122/info.php

PSE but needs the sports buckets...

http://euroclassics.porschedealer.co...61856/info.php

Rare color combo, black on tan...

http://manhattan.porschedealer.com/p...91490/info.php
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Does the PSE from a Cayman R fit on the Spyder?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

That's a good question. I would assume they are the same? Could ask Suncoast or someone like that for a quick reply. Maybe send a PM to Joe from Fabspeed as well, he would know.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Will do. I had contacted checkered flag about that one. I do really like the color, I gotta say. And I see a Cayman R PSE available in the classifieds right now, so that'd just leave me needing to get the seats... Which I've also found in the classifieds section. Definitely the expensive way to go, but maybe I can cut a good deal on the spyder... And I suppose I could really do the seats and exhaust any time I wanted to in the future. Doesn't have to be now. For sure it's the expensive way to go since the asking price for the black with the PSE and sports seats was $500 more than the asking price for this one...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:57 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Very true, it may be slightly more in the long run, but as you have seen, when you see a nice car with the right options, and especially on a Spyder, you won't get many chances since there just aren't many cars out there.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Is anyone in the Virginia Beach area to check out the car at Checkered Flag for me? It's a 2 owner, but it looks like it's in decent shape from the pics and it might be worth it to try to buy the color and then have a really fun road trip.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

I thought you are looking for 6MT..

From their website.
Transmission: Automatic
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Supagoat
Instructor

Yeah, I contacted them and they confirmed that the website is wrong. I've got pictures of it as well that they took for me and it's a manual.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

aqua blue is a great color, good luck with it. FYI, Rusnak has a silver one with all your requirements minus the seats.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Spyder wheels are also more desirable.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Very interesting to see the cars with Manual and sport buckets are the ones that are most desired and are holding their value best. Any stats on how many were imported with these " un-options " ??
As discussed in other threads dealers seemed to have had a hard time moving the " purist " cars and opted for PDK and sport seats to sell them to the average Joe. ( Not Ortho )

Quick Reply: How rare is 6spd/sport bucket/PSE combo?