Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this Boxster S worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What is this Boxster S worth?

How much should this Boxster S be selling for? Any thoughts from the masters of the (Porsche) universe

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...sting=60742205
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

seems to be close. If it was certified it would be right in line.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Great color combo. Can't help you on pricing.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
How much should this Boxster S be selling for? Any thoughts from the masters of the (Porsche) universe

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...sting=60742205
Put the VIN into a google search and see what pops up. I see some hits. The car has been for sale for a while. Price may be high. Or there's something else, though I see nothing scary in the CarFax report, for whatever that's worth.

There is one recall on the car. Fuel pump or clutch switch, maybe. I'm not sure and I didn't take the time to investigate further.

Call PCNA customer service and with the VIN someone can look up the car's recall history and advise what -- if anything -- recall wise it has pending.

For the price... Take the MSRP not including tax, license, delivery, and subtract 10% for depreciation the car was sold.

Every year after that, on the release of the new model, subtract another 10%. This is a ball park depreciation curve.

Or enter the vehicle details at www.kbb.com, www.nada.com and there are others and see what trade in, private sale, and retail numbers come up.

Generally the car is worth from its trade in value to however much the seller is willing to take for the car and you are willing to pay for the car.

It is a good looking car at least from the few moments I spent looking the pics.

If the car checks out, if it has the remainder of its new car warranty left, if the price is right....

But do your homework.

Remember there is always another car.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Interior looks like Carrera Red, not Terracotta, to my eyes.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Interior looks like Carrera Red, not Terracotta, to my eyes.
Yes it is Carrera red. I think I really like this car but man that is a really red interior. I keep asking myself is this really cool or really gaudy.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Yes it is Carrera red. I think I really like this car but man that is a really red interior. I keep asking myself is this really cool or really gaudy.
Who cares? If you like it...

Back in 07 I bought a new (leftover) 2006 GTO in Torrid Red with a Red Hot Leather interior.

When people would walk up to the car and go wow that's a lot of red I'd tell them I bought it at night and thought it was all brown.

Buy the car you like.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
SIXPEED
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Classic colors

Price looks right. Nice car and color combo. Not gaudy at all but rather, pure Porsche classic.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Who cares? If you like it...

Back in 07 I bought a new (leftover) 2006 GTO in Torrid Red with a Red Hot Leather interior.

When people would walk up to the car and go wow that's a lot of red I'd tell them I bought it at night and thought it was all brown.

Buy the car you like.

damn...that's a lot of red
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Bought the car at night. I thought the colors were brown.

Seriously, I liked the exterior and interior colors, well color (red obviously), and while I'm not a big big fan of red I really liked the car. It just looked right in red. And it was my first (and only so far) red car.

Once in the car I never really noticed the color. But one has to be true to himself. If the red grates on one's eyes...

There's always speed yellow!

Traded the GTO in for this:

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Well my daughter answered the question for me, she said "Dad, that color combo is totally **** Star" (not a good thing) I said no it's **** Car. She does not get the classic car color schemes but we do tend toward the more subdued, so I am going to pass on this one.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

Well my daughter answered the question for me, she said "Dad, that color combo is totally **** Star" (not a good thing) I said no it's **** Car. She does not get the classic car color schemes but we do tend toward the more subdued, so I am going to pass on this one.
You're passing up a good looking car.

I fail to see the downside of car's color. You buy the car. It looks great. Your daughter hates the color and probably wouldn't be caught dead in the car. So she doesn't drive it. What's not to like? You get a great looking car all to yourself.

And in case your daughter has a change of heart, send the daughter off to college ASAP. Enjoy the car.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
You're passing up a good looking car.

I fail to see the downside of car's color. You buy the car. It looks great. Your daughter hates the color and probably wouldn't be caught dead in the car. So she doesn't drive it. What's not to like? You get a great looking car all to yourself.

And in case your daughter has a change of heart, send the daughter off to college ASAP. Enjoy the car.
+1

Looks like a great car to me. The Carrera Red is an upcharge, as is what appears to be full leather (noticed the stitching near the 2 center vents). If spec'ing the car myself I might have also chosen deviating carpeting in black just to tone it down a tad, but overall great looking car.

As for the "**** Star" comment, I think that's mostly because younger generations are not used to seeing cars with red interiors (just consider interior color options for the last 20 years on cars that are say $50K or less... generally tan, light gray, and black).

Silver, White, or Black over red were very common color combinations on sports cars like Speedsters, 911s, 930s, various Jags, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis (and even sedans from BMW, MB, RR, Cadillac, etc) in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. However, by the 1990s, companies like Lexus, Infinity, and other Japanese cars started only offering interiors in tan, light gray and occasionally black. MB, BMW, and others (probably influenced by bean counters) followed suit dropping color offerings such as red, burgundy, blue, dark brown etc. I think its great that Porsche and a few others high end cars continue to offer some classic sports car color combinations.

Obviously, buy what you like, but to me the **** Star comment about the car would just make me laugh, and I'd buy it anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

With the **** star comment, I was expecting to see electric blue paint with alcantara white interior or something. A silver car is anything but ostentatious. Classic combo, go for it.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Thought I'll add - with used car you are not buying the color, but options. Does the car have all of the options you need? If yes and price is right, go for it. There might be plenty of Boxters/Caymans on the market, but majority of them are plain run of the mill cars with basic options (or none at all).

Quick Reply: What is this Boxster S worth?