Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase a Cayman question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Mac1235
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase a Cayman question.

Hey Guys,

I had posted earlier and got some good information on different aspects of the Cayman. I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on a few locally. I know to get a good PPI and check for over rev's but is there anything else I should know about a Cayman before I do pull the trigger? I plan on using this car as a daily driver.

Thanks in advance. Any previous buying experience or bumps in the road people have come across would be great.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac1235
Hey Guys,

I had posted earlier and got some good information on different aspects of the Cayman. I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on a few locally. I know to get a good PPI and check for over rev's but is there anything else I should know about a Cayman before I do pull the trigger? I plan on using this car as a daily driver.

Thanks in advance. Any previous buying experience or bumps in the road people have come across would be great.
The Cayman is just a used car.

What you want to know is that the car is a good car. That it has been well maintained, it hasn't been abused, and doesn't currently exhibit any issues.

You want to subject the car to a thorough check out. This involves a test ride of around 15 miles distance with the driver demo'ing the car in a variety of scenarios followed by a test drive over the same route and distance and driving the car in the same way at the driver did when you were a passenger.

IOWs, you should experience the car in its natural state, with the engine running, the car on the road being used in a variety of ways similar to how it will be used when (if) you own the car.

In short you want to buy a good car.

Avoid if possible over paying for the car.

Then give the car proper servicing. Take care of the car. It will reward you with an enjoyable ownership experience and then when you go to sell the car you can help the sale by showing how well you took care of the car and how well it did while in your hands.

A general rule of thumb is to set aside 10% of a used car's purchase price to have Just In Case something comes up.

Now just because the car checks out with no issues at the time you buy the car doesn't mean no issues will appear after you buy the car.

A tire can pick up a nail at any time and in some cases this can have you having to buy two tires, or even possibly 4 tires.

Or for instance, a water pump, or fuel pump, can fail at any time.

You want to have enough cash on hand to be able to address whatever comes up so you can have the car on the road again ASAP.

If you buy the car the car is of course new to you. You want to establish a base line of the car's behavior. Among other things you want to monitor is vital fluid levels.

No need to go overboard but for instance you want to keep an eye on oil consumption.

Also, early on develop a system for keeping an eye on fuel consumption.

Other fluid levels check every so often.

A changing fluid level often gives you an early warning something is wrong and taking care of this early on often saves time and money in the long run.

A few things to note: Avoid parking under trees or bushes or near where tree sap, bird mess, or plant trash can fall on the car.

Read the owners manual and learn where the body water drains are and be sure these are kept free of any trash.

Keep the front radiator ducts clean of trash. These cars are just big vacuum cleaners when the radiator fans are running sucking up any trash that gets kicked up by the car in front of yours.

Last but not least, enjoy the car.

Lots.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Mac1235
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The Cayman is just a used car.

What you want to know is that the car is a good car. That it has been well maintained, it hasn't been abused, and doesn't currently exhibit any issues.

You want to subject the car to a thorough check out. This involves a test ride of around 15 miles distance with the driver demo'ing the car in a variety of scenarios followed by a test drive over the same route and distance and driving the car in the same way at the driver did when you were a passenger.

IOWs, you should experience the car in its natural state, with the engine running, the car on the road being used in a variety of ways similar to how it will be used when (if) you own the car.

In short you want to buy a good car.

Avoid if possible over paying for the car.

Then give the car proper servicing. Take care of the car. It will reward you with an enjoyable ownership experience and then when you go to sell the car you can help the sale by showing how well you took care of the car and how well it did while in your hands.

A general rule of thumb is to set aside 10% of a used car's purchase price to have Just In Case something comes up.

Now just because the car checks out with no issues at the time you buy the car doesn't mean no issues will appear after you buy the car.

A tire can pick up a nail at any time and in some cases this can have you having to buy two tires, or even possibly 4 tires.

Or for instance, a water pump, or fuel pump, can fail at any time.

You want to have enough cash on hand to be able to address whatever comes up so you can have the car on the road again ASAP.

If you buy the car the car is of course new to you. You want to establish a base line of the car's behavior. Among other things you want to monitor is vital fluid levels.

No need to go overboard but for instance you want to keep an eye on oil consumption.

Also, early on develop a system for keeping an eye on fuel consumption.

Other fluid levels check every so often.

A changing fluid level often gives you an early warning something is wrong and taking care of this early on often saves time and money in the long run.

A few things to note: Avoid parking under trees or bushes or near where tree sap, bird mess, or plant trash can fall on the car.

Read the owners manual and learn where the body water drains are and be sure these are kept free of any trash.

Keep the front radiator ducts clean of trash. These cars are just big vacuum cleaners when the radiator fans are running sucking up any trash that gets kicked up by the car in front of yours.

Last but not least, enjoy the car.

Lots.
Great information. Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 267 Posts

Presume you're familiar with the 2 different "generations of 987"? Some significant changes from 09 on. The new engine (with DFI in the S) and availability of PDK being key changes. If I were looking I would go for second gen.

Quick Reply: About to purchase a Cayman question.