Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM USB Question from a Newbie with new 09 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
boxsternewb
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM USB Question from a Newbie with new 09 Boxster

I just purchased my first boxster last week after saving and searching for the last 8.5 months. First off its amazing and I can't stop driving or thinking about it... LOL...

Now to my question this is an 09 with the PCM / NAV with the USB / iPod interface. Now the car did not come with the ipod interface cable so instead of trying to connect an iPod I have tried a USB stick which keeps saying not connected and also tried my iphone to the USB that will charge but doesnt say connected or anything else.

Has anyone seen where the PCM says not connected for any usb stick or iPhone connected through the usb port?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 514 Posts

I also have an '09 with the same options. I have not tried the USB port yet, instead connecting my ipod with the cable that came with the car; it works fine that way. Your car should have come with that cable and you can request it.

I connect my Verizon iPhone 4 to the PCM using Bluetooth, which works, although my phone book will not transfer to PCM (its a Verizon thing). I now have the 5, but won't be able to see how it does until March.

Oh, and when you tell us you have a new car, you MUST post pics of it here.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

hmmmmmmmm. I didn't get any such cable with my '11 Boxster S. What is the part number, please!

I do connect my iPhone4 via the USB cable which successfully charges the battery but does NOT permit me to listen to music from the iPhone -- and my dealer says that it isn't possible to hear the iPhone through the PCM -- but Kevin Rohrer implies that he can listen to his ipod with that cable.

If ipod can be heard with the cable, iPhone should also, yes?

AGAIN - CABLE PART NUMBER PLS !
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

It looks like this, but does not have the USB connector. It connects to the car with the pictured DIN connector.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/I612C47102.html

I do connect my iPhone4 via the USB cable which successfully charges the battery but does NOT permit me to listen to music from the iPhone -- and my dealer says that it isn't possible to hear the iPhone through the PCM
I have Bose sound and it has the option to listen to the iPod as a device. When I get a chance tomorrow, I will walk out to the barn and get the manuals so I can provide more info.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 01-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

I LOVE RENNLIST !!!

I read the Suncoast page and it clearly is the cable which is needed to let the iPhone4 transmit music to the PCM. I immediately ordered it ($44 shipping included.) THANKS KEVIN ROHRER
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of the cable that attaches to the iPod port (DIN plug) inside the small storage compartment on the transmission hump. The Porsche part number for the iPod cable is: 997 612 471 01.

As you can see, there is a USB port and one for AUX, although I don't know what the latter looks like as it is dark in my storage barn and I didn't have a flashlight. Plugging-in an iPod to the car with the cable causes the radio to sense it and allow play. Unfortunately, the PCM controls are quite crude, not allowing me to Pause anything on a CD or iPod.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 AM
boxsternewb
4th Gear

Here is an update for my situation.

1. The usb stick I was using did not seem to work well purchased a new one and now everything is working.
2. The ipod interface cable i am purchasing from the local dealer so I plan on picking up the lightning connector and seeing if it works.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 AM
boxsternewb
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
I also have an '09 with the same options. I have not tried the USB port yet, instead connecting my ipod with the cable that came with the car; it works fine that way. Your car should have come with that cable and you can request it.

I connect my Verizon iPhone 4 to the PCM using Bluetooth, which works, although my phone book will not transfer to PCM (its a Verizon thing). I now have the 5, but won't be able to see how it does until March.

Oh, and when you tell us you have a new car, you MUST post pics of it here.
Kevin, My verizon iphone 5 phonebook migrated just fine when connected. I can scroll through and dial by contact. I actually have an issue with my benz and the phone book.

Also I will post picks this weekend. It is in for service and getting inspected.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

That sounds great. When I get my car out of the barn in March, I will see if my phonebook gets copied over to the car.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

I got the cable from Suncoast. (http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/I612C47102.html)

It ABSOLUTELY does the trick! Now I can listen to audio output from the iPhone and charge it at the same time. The cable is a 'Y' -- 1 end goes into the iPhone, then it splits and part (a) is USB for charging the iPhone, and Part (b) is iPod DIN for the audio output.

Perfectamundo.

Quick Reply: PCM USB Question from a Newbie with new 09 Boxster