Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket exhaust drone solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket exhaust drone solutions

I have tubi exhuast on my 2007 base boxster. Sounds good beyond 3K. but with top up am victim of this booming drone in 2-3K range. now some people recommend 2" crossover pipe on planet 9 and other forums to reduce that drone. but I did a vast google search couldnt find much info how to rectify this problem. Nor could I any 2" crossover being sold anywhere. Is there something that someone has tried to deal with aftermarket exhaust system drones? I any suggestions ?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always Jet Hot coat aftermarket exhaust parts because it cuts down on drone and the metallic noises that most exhaust systems make. I can't swear that it will make enough difference for you (Tubi on the non-DI engines is notoriously loud), but in my experience it does help.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrabz
some people recommend 2" crossover pipe on planet 9 and other forums to reduce that drone.
IIRC, I think it was a fab job, not a marketed piece.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Easy fix... avoid 2-3k uphill, under load. Even with My Gen2 with Tubi, it's bad under that condition, so I can only imagine how bad in a louder gen 1. Is it bad cruising on the freeway at that range? Swap to Remus? That system was perfect on the gen 1, but too quiet on the gen 2.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

2-3k rpm, you shouldn't be there more than a fraction of a second. It's a Porsche, keep the revs up.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
headcrabz
Track Day

Originally Posted by the_vetman
IIRC, I think it was a fab job, not a marketed piece.
I see. didnt know but is it proven to work. any fitting issues with that solution

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I always Jet Hot coat aftermarket exhaust parts because it cuts down on drone and the metallic noises that most exhaust systems make. I can't swear that it will make enough difference for you (Tubi on the non-DI engines is notoriously loud), but in my experience it does help.
just googled about jet hot. didnt know about it. might help but its a bit of work, taking out the exhaust shipping and putting it back. if somebody has done it and worked I might go that way.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
headcrabz
Track Day

avoiding 2-3 K rpm range is not too difficult but I would say bothersome in urban surroundings. highway cruising or with tops down is okay. does remus have some tricky installation issues?.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You might not be happy with any aftermarket exhaust on a 987.1. They all remove one of the catalytic converters, which is likely the source of your drone.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the OD of the over axle pipes (muffler inlet pipes)?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading the above, my stock exhaust sounds so very, very sweet.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
pjmachineco

My AWE tuning system does not drone.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

John, that's because you have a 987.2
The 987.1s are different
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM
headcrabz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
what is the OD of the over axle pipes (muffler inlet pipes)?
Chris , I am in process of find that out, I will let you know. it the stock tubi pipes that come with the exhaust? whats your recommendation ?

Originally Posted by VGM911
After reading the above, my stock exhaust sounds so very, very sweet.
everything has merits/demerits. depends on how u use the car - daily driver or weekend fun. for daily driver may be its not easy. That accelerating high pitch rumble .. echo under the bridges tunnels, start up revs and supercar WOT sound, back gurgles when deaccelerating was what I was missing with stock exhaust. stock exhaust is little too quiet in my opinion - should have been more aggresive. I believe PSE is somewhat a compromise of all worlds.
I still think there must be some solution to the drone part, just not well documented yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrabz
Chris , I am in process of find that out, I will let you know. it the stock tubi pipes that come with the exhaust? whats your recommendation ?

everything has merits/demerits. depends on how u use the car - daily driver or weekend fun. for daily driver may be its not easy. That accelerating high pitch rumble .. echo under the bridges tunnels, start up revs and supercar WOT sound, back gurgles when deaccelerating was what I was missing with stock exhaust. stock exhaust is little too quiet in my opinion - should have been more aggresive. I believe PSE is somewhat a compromise of all worlds.
I still think there must be some solution to the drone part, just not well documented yet.
I can tell you for certain that PSE has all of the attributes bolded in your statement above on a 987.2. The only drawbacks I see with PSE include the added weight and the fact that it sounds like it is off when cruising at 2 - 3300 RPM.

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhaust drone solutions