Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?

In the last few weeks I have become aware from several independent sources of a scheme where certain Porsche dealers are defrauding new car customers. Here is how the scheme works:

An unsuspecting customer buys a new car from a Porsche dealer. The dealer, unbeknownst to the customer, has reported the car "sold" at an earlier date to PCNA to inflate sales figures and has "punched" the warrantee. So the 4 year/50K mile warrantee starts running once the warrantee is punched. There is no disclosure from the dealer as to this practice and nothing is written on the customer invoice to advise the customer as to the practice.

If the customer doesn't catch the fraud, they are left with a reduced warrantee period. Interestingly, the EPA Emissions Warranty also starts with the "punch" and I'm not sure if the EPA would get the joke.

So the new Porsche owner learns he will not be receiving a 4 year warranty when he brings the car to a dealer for routine maintenance (or a catastrophic failure) and the dealer’s service invoice reflects the actual "Warranty Expiration Date." I'm sure many owners never even notice, till something breaks like a rear main seal or an intermediate shaft bearing. Then the customer is left holding the bag.

I encourage the Rennlist readers who have purchased new cars within the last 4 years to determine if they received a full four year warranty. Here is how to check:

1. Find your new car purchase invoice from your Porsche dealer and find the “Sale date.”

2. Review any service invoice received from a Porsche dealer. The “Warranty Expiration Date” is reflected on it near the top of the form.

3. If the Warranty Expiration Date is less than four years from the Sale Date, you have been the victim of a fraud scheme. Unless the dealer disclosed the shorter warranty period at the time of purchase.

If you believe you have been victimized, send me a personal message with your contact information.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
cpace3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow , good to know.
nick
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder if this qualifies as fraud. I bought a brand new leftover 2011 Cayman with about 500 miles on it a few months ago. The manager said he drove it a few times to his home and back which was about 120 miles round trip. I did not really think much of it. I got a great deal on the car so I bought it. A few months later I got a letter from Porsche telling me they are extending my warranty because I bought a factory demo. My dealership never disclosed this to me. When I asked the manager after I got the letter, he said it was true that he had been driving the car. He said I should be happy they extended my warranty. After reading your post, I feel deceived and lied to. What do you think?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Clearly he lied to you about who put the miles on, but since you were ok with the mileage does it really matter under what circumstances they were put on? As long as they were not track miles then it should not. As for the salesman, he clearly can not be trusted with the truth.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes it matters. I don't know if he really put the miles on. Why would Porsche classify it as a factory demo anyway? He did say it was unusual because Porsche factory demos usually have at least a few thousand miles. If he did not put the miles on it then where we're the miles put on? I have no idea. He almost did not want me to contact Porsche because he said what if they made a mistake giving me a warranty. I should just be happy and keep the extra warranty.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a Boxster several years ago with about 300 miles and they let me know that the warranty had already started and what the date was.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sneaky tactics, I would hope there's not many cases.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought new in 09 ,iirc the car had about 20 miles on it and the warranty had been in effect for about 3 months. the sales man told me this.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another version: Bought a leftover 03 in 04 and the warranty had already started - apparently leftovers can only hang around so long before their clock starts
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Often times dealers choose to take advantage of incentives/trunk cash. For example, it is widely known that there was a 6000 dollar incentive in 2012 991s ending November 30th 2012, which is why you will find several low mileage 991's under used in the porsche pre owned search. The dealer in effect buys the car takes the 6 grand and then try's to sell it possibly as a demo with a discount. No point in them holding the car and missing the 6k incentive. I have seem numerous 991's that are essentially old stock under the circumstance as above selling for 10-15k below sticker. I would like to think you could do better. If they do not tell you the warranty has been punched, well that I do not like.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't help but think this guy is sniffing out some work. Chasing Porsches must be more fun than chasing ambulances these days...

Quick Reply: HAVE YOU BEEN DEFRAUDED BY A PORSCHE DEALER?