Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much deposit did you pay for ordering your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here...I went nuts on my Spyder...PCCB, etc.... and with a sticker over $80k I was asked for $5k non-refundable deposit. On the RS they wanted $2500.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing for the last 3 cars I bought from them.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

...my understanding is that in CA, the law protects the consumer; the dealer cannot legally keep a security deposit if the buyer walks away from an ordered car.
What about if the car has already been made? Are you saying that if you put down a $2,000 deposit and the car shows up at the dealership to your spec and you decide you no longer want it before you sign the ownership papers that the dealer is required by law to give you your deposit back in California?

How can dealers in CA possibly be protected against a consumer changing his mind then? If he spec's out a pink car and puts down a $5K deposit, the car gets built, he can still change his mind before taking delivery and the dealer has to give him all of his deposit back?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Yup - the laws here protect the consumer, not the dealer.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I can't even imagine. No wonder the cost of living is so ridiculous out there. Between handcuffing businesses and giving away the farm, often to people who aren't legal citizens, what else might we expect?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
I can't even imagine. No wonder the cost of living is so ridiculous out there. Between handcuffing businesses and giving away the farm, often to people who aren't legal citizens, what else might we expect?
Exactly! It's probably a factor in why none of the Kali dealers I've tried to buy from can (or even try to) match the pricing I've gotten on cars bought out of state.

It is a hefty price people here pay for 'the weather'. I sometimes feel I should be swiping my credit card each time I enter or leave the outdoor environment.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 927 Likes on 432 Posts

Don't get me started. I had two businesses here, one has been legislated to where it pays 25% of what it paid 20 years ago. I shut it down.

My other business can now be fined $2,500 by the State for each phone call or email that isn't returned and you can't appeal the fine. Just pay it or you're out of business.

Seems to me our State has determined that the best way to redistribute wealth is through fines.

Last edited by clutchplate; 10-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Exactly! It's probably a factor in why none of the Kali dealers I've tried to buy from can (or even try to) match the pricing I've gotten on cars bought out of state.

It is a hefty price people here pay for 'the weather'. I sometimes feel I should be swiping my credit card each time I enter or leave the outdoor environment.
IMO, it is more about personal responsibility (or the lack thereof); it is a problem with our country as a whole.

Quick Reply: How much deposit did you pay for ordering your Porsche?