Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much deposit did you pay for ordering your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM
BoxsterHopeful
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! Good to know some dealers will take a $1000 deposit. That's what I'll offer as I shop around for a dealer to accept my offer.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts

Wasn't a Spyder, but I was told $2500 for PTS Panamera in an unusual color exterior and unusual interior that was fully refundable.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

If you are serious about the car,I would shop delivered price, instead of size of deposit.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
jimcabc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put down $1000 for a base 987 Boxster about 18 mos ago. The salesman said that was their standard deposit (whatever that meant).
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I was wondering about this. Specifically if someone ordered a PTS in pink would the dealer ask for a significant deposit and would they have the right to keep the deposit if the seller backed out?
I believe this depends on your state laws...

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
On my Cayman R, the deposit was initially $1000. When the the MSRP exceeded $80K, the dealer asked for a 'non-refundable deposit' for the amount over the $80K. They claimed that it was hard to sell Caymans over $80K and wanted to protect themselves in case I tried to bail out.
...my understanding is that in CA, the law protects the consumer; the dealer cannot legally keep a security deposit if the buyer walks away from an ordered car.

FWIW, I have never had a dealer ask for a deposit on an ordered car, but none have been pink. I have, however, had trouble with a dealer ordering options to my spec on more than one occasion.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

...my understanding is that in CA, the law protects the consumer; the dealer cannot legally keep a security deposit if the buyer walks away from an ordered car.

FWIW, I have never had a dealer ask for a deposit on an ordered car, but none have been pink. I have, however, had trouble with a dealer ordering options to my spec on more than one occasion.
Thanks Alan.

When I ordered my Spyder and was negotiating price I told the salesman I would put a non refundable deposit on the car to show that I was serious. I did this to arrive at the price I wanted quickly and more importantly because I didn't want them to change anything on the order. I wonder if the issues you had may have been related to not putting a deposit on the car?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have, however, had trouble with a dealer ordering options to my spec on more than one occasion.
Are you one of the guys that tried ordering a Spyder without AC and the dealer ordered the car with it anyway? Its wrong for them to do, but I'm not surprised by dealers doing that, as cars without AC are a real tough sell if a original buyer backs out.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I wonder if the issues you had may have been related to not putting a deposit on the car?
Originally Posted by Dino944
Are you one of the guys that tried ordering a Spyder without AC and the dealer ordered the car with it anyway?
Yes, the dealer added back the AC and the model designation delete after we negotiated a price and I was given a pro-forma. Had they asked for a deposit, I would have given them one - but I have known the salesman for years, and the subject never came up. Same dealer initially refused to order my 997 without navigation and xenons in July 2004, but relented in the end. Again, I would have gladly given a deposit, in that case to avoid the back-and-forth hassles with the order, but that was not the issue.

I lied - I put a deposit down on a Lotus Elise order when they first came out, but I gave up after many delays, got the deposit back, and went with the 997 instead.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct regarding California - an advantage of the nanny state.

My CR was ordered through Hennessy in Atlanta, and I didn't check the law there, since I was buying the car.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:37 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

On my special ordered Cayman R, I put down 5k. I ordered it as a "stripper": no AC, no radio, and in Peridot. I did not mind the 5k deposit since I was serious about buying the car and I got something like 4% off msrp, which was shortly after the R's launch.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I lost a $500 deposit from a CA dealership back in 2006 on an ordered car when I changed my mind on a 997.1S. Maybe the law has changed since then, but the dealer was not willing to budge and it wasn't worth pursuing. $5k would be another matter, though.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

For my paint to sample Carrera S it was only $1000, and the price was over $135K.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
$5k.

But it all depends on the sell-ability of the options.
+1 Agreed. An arrangement that's worked for us in the past is a small deposit which is nonrefundable once the car has been produced, otherwise its refundable without penalty. The amount of deposit has been $500. paid thru AMEX. The deposit is more of a goodwill gesture - memorializing the order contract,,,, which could be done with a $1.

Basically should the dealership get "stuck" with the ordered unit (yeah right) the deposit contributes to the flooring cost until the unit is sold. - basically the dealership would be making money if you were to renege. Don’t take any nonsense from the car dealership….. it’s just a car. With a smile on your face take your business down the road to the next P-car dealership. It's nothing personal - it's business and your money.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoxsterHopeful
About to place an order for my first Porsche and was wondering how the typical process works. My local dealer said they require a $5K deposit, but that sounds a bit insane considering the $500 deposit that BMW dealerships require. Is it really $5K across the board? How much of a deposit did you pay and what's the lowest you've seen a Porsche dealership take for placing an order?

Thanks in advance!
I take between $2,500 and $20,000 deposit on a custom build.

Typically it's $2,500 but I'll ask for $5,000 if the car's of a unique enough spec that I worry about a second buyer should the car arrive and the buyer who placed the order walks away.

On a GT3 RS 4.0 I took a $20,000 deposit and that's more of the norm with a car like that where allocation is scarce and there aren't enough units to go around for everyone.

$500 deposit's don't get you custom built Porsche cars unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

i got mine for $1,000 but I think it pays if you are a repeat customer.

Quick Reply: How much deposit did you pay for ordering your Porsche?