Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on lowered Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM
desmo907
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on lowered Cayman S?

Been shopping for 2006-09 manual S model and found one that had been lowered (no other info yet or seen it yet).

Just interested in general comments about a lowered Cayman.... anything to worry about, does it change maintanence, etc.?

Car was apparently not tracked and I will just use it sparingly on the road...

Thx!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

There are two ways to lower the car. Cheapest is to buy shorter springs which may be stiffer then stock. The best way is by using coilovers such as Bilstein PSS9 or KW. The coilovers will also have stiffer springs but will allow you to adjust the shock absorber stiffness and corner balance the car (useful for a tracked car). Shorter springs will not do either. Neither method should change maintenance. Both will require more care entering or exiting steep driveways or gas station aprons. In general, a lowered car can be aligned with more negative camber which is useful if you plan to auto-x or do DE events. I have a track oriented car which is lowered 1" and it is livable on the street. If I were you, I'd find out how the car was lowered.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine came with TechArt (Eibach) springs and PASM. I live in FL so I don't worry too much about the ride height except some steeper curbs because I also have a TechArt lip spoiler which the bottom gets scraped up all the time.

If I lived in the NE or places with many hills, I would only lower my car by 0.5" max. Otherwise, look for a stock ride height Cayman. There are plenty.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on lowered Cayman S?