Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I haven't read LN's website closely in a while, but I can tell you that not everything on there is correct. In fact, I specifically tested some out on my own car and can say that they're wrong. Their website also has info (at least used to) that blue-painted engines mean remanufactured and welded by Porsche. This has been debunked.
On another forum, there's currently a thread with LN engineering magnetic drain plugs not fitting 9A1 engines, at least 2 engines that I know of. LN says that they're universal. When contacted, their response has so far been "well, it fit in our Cayman" or "due to hard anodized coating".

LN manufactures very good products. But it doesn't mean they're infallible.
My post was relevent to the current topic of IMSBearings. If you know of a BETTER source for IMSB info please share.

As to your new topic debunked by who?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
My post was relevent to the current topic of IMSBearings. If you know of a BETTER source for IMSB info please share.

As to your new topic debunked by who?
Debunked by Porsche insiders. Long thread on CR: people with connections verified with Porsche insiders.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM
EdwinL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned a number of Porsche and currently have a 1994 965 Turbo 3.6 and I'm looking for a Boxster Spyder to add to my collection. This will be my first non-rear engined Porsche so I'm very new to the Boxster scene. I am wondering if the 2011 Spyder engine (3.4 DFI) is also prone to IMSB failure or any other issues that would require attention.

Thanks in advance.

Edwin
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwinL
I've owned a number of Porsche and currently have a 1994 965 Turbo 3.6 and I'm looking for a Boxster Spyder to add to my collection. This will be my first non-rear engined Porsche so I'm very new to the Boxster scene. I am wondering if the 2011 Spyder engine (3.4 DFI) is also prone to IMSB failure or any other issues that would require attention.

Thanks in advance.

Edwin
Starting with the 2009 9A1 engines, the IMS has been eliminated. The 2011 Spyder is fitted with a 9A1.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Debunked by Porsche insiders. Long thread on CR: people with connections verified with Porsche insiders.
Could you be more vague?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

On another forum, there's currently a thread with LN engineering magnetic drain plugs not fitting 9A1 engines, at least 2 engines that I know of. LN says that they're universal. When contacted, their response has so far been "well, it fit in our Cayman" or "due to hard anodized coating".

LN manufactures very good products. But it doesn't mean they're infallible.
Yes, we do try to make the best possible products and from time to time, we do mess things up. Case in point, we make thousands of drain plugs and the anodizers sometimes will screw a few up and the plating is applied a bit thicker than what is optimal. This results in a tight feel to plug installation, but we've noted in our testing that once the plug is installed the first time, the high spots are knocked down. But first and foremost, if someone calls with a report of a plug that isn't fitting, we'll overnight a replacement no question asked. We can't please everyone, we know this, but we try our best.

As far as fitment on the 9A1 engine, the oil pans are the same across the board on the 9A1 engine between the Cayman, Boxster, and 911, so fitment is indeed universal, which the 9A1 and M96/M97 (and Cayenne S also) use the same drain plugs. Secondly, the plastic baffle that bolts in to the pans are also identical. Lastly, that baffle does not get in the way of our drain plug. We did redesign the plug a while back to have a flush magnet so that it had ample clearance with the baffle, but we had tested fitment with the earlier plug with no issue. We sell plenty of these to Porsche dealerships who fit them to 9A1 engines and they never report problems. Trust me, if there were, they would be the first to call.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Yes, we do try to make the best possible products and from time to time, we do mess things up. Case in point, we make thousands of drain plugs and the anodizers sometimes will screw a few up and the plating is applied a bit thicker than what is optimal. This results in a tight feel to plug installation, but we've noted in our testing that once the plug is installed the first time, the high spots are knocked down. But first and foremost, if someone calls with a report of a plug that isn't fitting, we'll overnight a replacement no question asked. We can't please everyone, we know this, but we try our best.

As far as fitment on the 9A1 engine, the oil pans are the same across the board on the 9A1 engine between the Cayman, Boxster, and 911, so fitment is indeed universal, which the 9A1 and M96/M97 (and Cayenne S also) use the same drain plugs. Secondly, the plastic baffle that bolts in to the pans are also identical. Lastly, that baffle does not get in the way of our drain plug. We did redesign the plug a while back to have a flush magnet so that it had ample clearance with the baffle, but we had tested fitment with the earlier plug with no issue. We sell plenty of these to Porsche dealerships who fit them to 9A1 engines and they never report problems. Trust me, if there were, they would be the first to call.
Charles can you provide LN's observations regarding the Porsche IMS updates made on the 987. Specifically did they truly make improvements and has LN observed reduced rates of failure with the later cars? I personally haven't heard of any issues with 08's and I honestly I can't remember reading issues with 07's either.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

The single row bearings from 2000 through 2005 are the worst, no doubt about it. As a result, that's why we have been focusing on bringing the IMS Solution to market for these cars first, then we'll shortly thereafter roll out for the other versions.

I'd probably say the early dual rows and later 06 through 08s are the most resilient, but both still fail. The later engines with the 3rd revision of bearing are still relatively new in comparison to the dual rows, so only time will tell.

I probably get at least one call a month of an 06 to 08 car with an IMS failure and as a result, the engine is being rebuilt or replaced, depending on the severity of the failure.

The only common theme I see across the board is low mileage cars or cars that sat with little use in their first years of life have the highest occurrence of IMS failures.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So the IMS on the 06 - 08 are identical or do the 08's have an additional update?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Nope, the 08s are the same as the 06s and 07s. Anything build during or after model year 2006 will have received the larger single-row 6305 series bearing.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
987s987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question. I am here in Illinois myself and have an 05 987S Low miles...just purchased this year and it only had 18,000 miles on it. The original owner told me he covered it in winter so I suspect I am a candidate for one of those IMS failures. I do have the Durametric cable because I change my own oil. I read somewhere that there's a way to use this cable to look at camshaft flutter or something like that and possibly detect the symptoms of it failing before it actually does. Also, if I wanted to do this LN retrofit here in Illinois where would be the best place to go? I am down in the central part of the state so no major Indy's here that I would trust.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
987s987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I should have said that question was directed at Charles.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I probably get at least one call a month of an 06 to 08 car with an IMS failure and as a result, the engine is being rebuilt or replaced, depending on the severity of the failure.
Charles, thank you for your input.

My only question is this: how do we really know whether those calls you get are actually due to IMSB failures in 2006-08 cars? Why do I ask this? It appears that many indies love to blame 987 engine problems on "IMS" because they're just used to 986 and 996.

I've even asked a respected indy about oil starvation in 987's. His response? "I still think that it's due to IMS".........
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy

So... I've had quite an interesting day.....

I did my first oil change on the Spyder today (a big deal for me.. don't laugh ). I have to say.. accessing the oil filter housing in Gen 2 cars is a PITA!! Not readily accessible as in Gen 1. Anyway, I tried inserting the LN magnetic drain plug (which I had taken from my S)......

A) The crush washer would NOT come off no matter what I tried, though I was very gentle as I didn't want to damage anything. After being frustrated by many failed attempts, I just left it on.

B) As I was screwing it in, I heard a plastic "pop". I immediately thought of the aforementioned thread, and had a split-second 'WTF have I done?' moment. However, it was slightly odd since I wasn't applying that much pressure when the "pop" sound occurred. It didn't feel like (to me) that I had hit the plastic baffle.

C) So, I backed it out somewhat and very slowly & gently tried to screw it back on. The following (pics) is what happened next.......

Last edited by the_vetman; 11-28-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy

At this point, I'm not really sure what to do. In my moment of brilliance (being sarcastic here), I recycled the OEM drain plug and put it in (with a new crush washer). I carefully torqued it to 37 ft/lb and was successful without stripping the plug.

Well, now that I think of it, I should've put my finger in there and felt around to make sure that I didn't break any plastic pieces. I thought about taking the drain plug off again, but axed that idea since it's the only plug I've got right now and I don't want to strip it.....

So... the Spyder currently sits on 4 jack stands in the garage, its belly devoid of oil, not knowing what will come next.......................

Quick Reply: Yup - IMS Failure :( Replacement advice please!